“Azerbaijani Cuisine on offer but More of a Hookah Hangout”
Review of Baku

Baku
Ranked #1,094 of 1,873 Restaurants in Kiev
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Description: +380 44 528 5056
Description: +380 44 528 5056
Manama, Bahrain
“Azerbaijani Cuisine on offer but More of a Hookah Hangout”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Trip Advisor incorrectly characterizes the food at Baku to be Mediterranean; if you consider geography, that would be a stupid name, wouldn't it? The food on offer is Azerbaijani and, if I could, I would just rate this restaurant "good" but Trip Advisor has nothing in between Average and Very Good in its ratings, unfortunately.
By the way, I just stumbled upon this restaurant while walking down Gorkovo to the Korean restaurant Arirang, which is a much greater hike (Gorkova, 160) than walking to Baku.
At night, Baku is very easy to find given the outdoor lights illuminating its name; it is located in a courtyard off Gorkova. It is about 2-3 blocks further from center than the Megamarket supermarket on Gorkovo, 50. Nearest metro station is Dvorets Ukraina but it might be sligtly confusing to walk from there -- especially if you are map-less.
What I liked about the restaurant: excellent Kharcho soup (which I thought was Georgian rather than Azerbaijani) and very good soup Piti (which consists of lamb, potatoes and chick peas).
What I didn't like: the plov. I tried to order Nabrich Plov (lamb with pomegranate kernels and nuts) but they were all out so I had to try Turshu Kawarma plov ( lamb just with nuts) and Sweet Plov (rice with dried fruits). However, these were poor choices. The lamb was bone dry and thrown in the plov were fried onions burnt to a crisp. So I would give the plov a pass at Baku.
Better was the Choban Kawarma also of lamb but with red bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and garlic. However, I would rate the taste of this Choban Kawarma as average.
If I had stopped at the soups, I would have given this restaurant an excellent rating. Maybe I just choose the wrong main courses. I would be willing to go again but I would avoid the plov.
We didn't see one other person eating at Baku. Most people were drinking tea and smoking hookah. Also seems to be a local hang out for Caucasians (I mean, of course, individuals from the Caucusus) and Turks.
We ate outside on the summer terrace. There is no view of anything but it was nonetheless pleasant. (On the level of being scenic, the summer terrace at the Georgian restaurant Kuvshin (not too far from Baku at Federova, 10) has Baku beaten hands down, however. [By the way, there is no longer, at that address on Federova, a Turkish restaurant called Antalya (correctly omitted in the Bradt Ukraine 3rd Ed. but the latter fails to note what replaced it.)]
Baku's interior is well decorated in Eastern style.
During out visit, Azerbaijani music was audible in the background but not too loud, mercifully.
Waitstaff was very attentive and I had to ask out waiter to stop bringing out tea after the third cup out of fear of insomnia. The taste of the tea was good.
In contrast, Marina was disappointed with the waiter because she asked him about the contents of the chicken soup and she was promised bouillon; instead, she received a chicken leg in broth with rice. (Personally, I wouldn't order chicken soup in an Azerbaijani restaurant!)
Two people can easily fill up at Baku for 500UAH (excluding alcohol/tip). Standard hookah costs 100UAH, which is paid separately. Marina said her hookah was very good.
Baku has a website which details all items on the menu, with current prices, but in Russian. At the restaurant itself, you can get an English menu,

• Visited August 2012