“A Great Hotel in Kiev”
Review of Bontiak Hotel

Bontiak Hotel
Ranked #32 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Don't be put off by the entrance to the hotel, which is from an alleyway, not the main road, which does not make it grand. Inside, though, it is the exact opposite: very spacious rooms with a two metres wide, very comfortable double-bed. You also have a table with two sofas in the room, resembling it more to a junior suite than a normal bedroom. The hotel guests choose breakfast the night before which is served in the room at the time specified by the guest. We chose different types of breakfast and the quality was throughout excellent! I would definitely recommend the pancakes with mushroom and cheese! The hotel is situated a 7 minute walk from Maidan Square and also 5 minutes from many other sights. You have to get used to the fact that the hotel staff want you to pay straight upon arrival, not at check-out, as is common in most hotels, but maybe they had bad experiences from guests not being able to pay. The value for money is excellent and I would recommend this hotel for any tourist to Kiev.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Bontiak is the equivalent of a US boutique hotel. Small and cozy with excellent service. I arrived around midnight with room reserved for later in the day. They helped me spread out on a couch, gave me tea and a sandwich, and I dozed away until my room was ready mid morning. Breakfast was pre ordered and served in the room. The location couldn't be better - close to all the sights and good restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2014

If you want a great place to stay in a great city, then this hotel is worth a look. It is superbly located near st Sofia's square, Maidan and the Golden Arch. The rooms are very well decorated and equipped. The king size bed is very comfortable, and the hotel is located just off the street, and is nice and quiet. The staff speak excellent English and are efficient and friendly.
The hotel does not look great form the outside, but don't be put off by that. Also, there is no restaurant, so breakfast is brought to your room for no extra cost( except for real coffee) at you chosen time. The breakfast choices are good, and the food excellent. Not having a restaurant didn't spoil my stay at all. I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different, but all are quiet, so all are fine
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel is difficult to find, but the staff were helpful when we called to get directions. Upon arrival, I was (not) greeted by a cross-armed woman saying, "you have to pay." No hello. No questions. No attempt to be polite. Just pay. I had booked through an online travel agent that said it had charged my card and showed the receptionist my booking, but she just replied, "No, you haven't paid. You have to pay." When I pushed back, I got a, "are you going to pay or am I going to pay?" Talk about a warm welcome...

Rooms are nice, and the location is good. The hotel only serves breakfast (in your room - not super flexible if you end up deciding to sleep in), so you're on your own for other meals unless you want to pay a $5 delivery charge from the restaurant down the road. The minibar is well stocked, though.

Overall, it could be great, but the surly, poorly-trained staff brought this place down a few notches for me. They need to try a bit harder.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed at the Bontiak Hotel 6 nights due to prior reviews, and value.
The hotel is about 5 min. walk down some stairs and a hill street to Indep. Sq..
The Bontiak is a good value for anyone seeking a hotel that has newer furnishing, comfortable bedding, is clean throughout, and offers a good breakfast choices delivered to your.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our trip to Kiev was a short one (for a concert at the October Palace which was sadly cancelled due to the ongoing troubles).

We wanted a simple, budget hotel that was close enough to the places that we wanted to be but still offered a safe enough haven if things were to escalate.

After careful consideration of many hotels within a similar price range, I opted for Hotel Bontiak.

I had read one of the bad reviews and thought it was a genius marketing tactic how management had replied offering 25% off to any Tripadvisor reader that had read the bad review and still wanted to stay in the hotel.

I duly e-mailed the reception desk to arrange my discount and this was agreed without quibble meaning the cost of the room was about £37 and I was able to pay in cash on arrival.

My first dealings with the hotel then, were of course all by e-mail and I have to say I was impressed with the courteousness and speed of the responses by the front desk. This was a very good start!

A few reviews mention the hotel is difficult to find. We struggled a little at first but only because I had forgotten to print off a map. In the end, we went to the Tourist Information Centre which is just down the road and they gave us a map and perfect directions. It's actually really easy to find when you know how and just a ten minute walk from the Zoloti Vorota metro station that we arrived into.

You will need to walk underneath the archway (the sign for Hotel Bontiak is only small pinned to the wall of the archway), cut through the car park and the hotel is just on your right.

The reception area is fairly spartan but we were warmly welcomed and shown to our room (a gentleman kindly carried our bags for us).

We were very, very impressed with the room! It was spacious, well lit and airy. Definitely business class. The bathroom had a superb self-enclosed shower unit, a wicker basket full of complimentary dead sea mineral toiletries, a modern hairdryer, box of tissues, endless fluffy white towels and good lighting.

The room had a desk, mirror, table, chairs, tea and coffee making facilities, robes, slippers, bottle opener, spotlights in the ceiling, a really cosy bed - it was just what we wanted and more! We had a lovely view of St Sophia's Cathedral bell tower from our room.

The room was absolutely pristine, almost as if no one else had ever stayed in it.

We were really sad to check out (as it signalled the end of a wonderful trip beginning in Edinburgh and continuing through Prague, Warsaw, St Petersburg, Moscow and culminating in Kiev) for us.

As the previous reviewer has mentioned, PLEASE don't be put off visiting Kiev. When our concert got cancelled, we considered going home early but sticking to our plans and visiting Kiev was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Spending hours wandering Independence Square (just down the road from this hotel) has left memories etched in my mind and heart for the rest of my life. Kiev is an incredible place with incredible people and it deserves our tourist pound!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014

By far one of the best quality hotels I have stayed in. Very helpful staff & a great nights sleep & superb shower. Breakfast in your room at no extra cost is also a great touch. But the best bit sound sad I know but the give you a KEY to get into the room. If you have traveled alot and used the credit card entry that has a 60% chance of letting you into the room you will know what I mean. Well done to the Owner, Management, Staff, Front of house & cleaners. An excellent job. PS Dont' let the TV & Media scare anyone from going to Kiev as my wife & I walked through Parliament 2 days ago & felt very safe. Peace & a quick settling down of the current issues to Ukraine. G & T Scotland

Room Tip: 409 is 20 ft from reception Great coffee shops near by
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business