“Happy and friendly ambiance” 4 of 5 bubbles

Taras Bulba
Ranked #44 of 1,797 Restaurants in Kiev
Price range: US$12 - US$49
Cuisines: European, Ukrainian, Eastern European
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Picton, Australia
“Happy and friendly ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Our hotel recommended this restaurant while on tour in Kiev. We had a wonderful time, the staff are all dressed in Ukrainian national costume. Some staff spoke English but more importantly all went out of their way to ensure we had a great time.

We had trouble finishing our meals as the serving size is generous and very tasty. The choice on the menu is quite extensive with a number of signature Ukrainian dishes.

We would go back there tomorrow!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Vince H

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Good local food with great value for both food and drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I actually ended up at this place completely by accident, I originally wanted to go to a similar Ukrainian restaurant a few metres away. Some of the staff spoke a little English, and service was very good. There was always a waitress watching the dining room, and I was even able to ask for recommendations for drinks and dessert.
I had a horseradish house vodka, a beer (whatever they had on tap), a cranberry house vodka, and a neminoff chilli vodka. The beer was good, the house vodkas were o.k. (flavours seem like they were mixed in as an afterthought - drinkable but the house vodka at o'panas is better), the chili vodka was good. Foodwise I had chicken Kiev with a side dish of buckwheat and meat (recommended by a local as a local dish to try). The chicken was great, the side dish a little bland/dry. For dessert I asked for a recommendation and tried some kind of cheesecake with fruit bits inside. All this ended up less than 200 uah

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank theokonTravel
York
“So good we went back next evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We very much enjoyed eating at the Taras Bulba. Excellent ingredients expertly cooked and served by friendly and helpful waiters / waitresses in local costume. As others have commented, the place is awash with 'peasant' or 'village' type nick-nacks, preserves, carpets and so on. Probably not 'authentic' but good fun. I'm not expert on Ukrainian food but I'm not a complete novice and the food at least did seem pretty authentic to me. Delicious! There are also English and other language versions of the menu, which helped.
I think they accept cards (I had enough cash) but another customer whilst we were there was asked for his passport in order to use his card. So it might be worth taking your passport, just in case.
Note that when we looked for the location on line, it came up as near Teatraina Metro station. In fact it is quite a long way north, almost at the junction of Prorizna Street and opposite the little park. Closer to Khreschatyk Metro station.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank 99Martin
England, United Kingdom
“whiling away one sunny afternoon in the centre of Kiev”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

This moderately priced restaurant is probably one of the best downtown eateries for local food. Inside is covered with Ukrainian folk fandangles and the eye-catching table cloths, napkins and handmade carpets on the wall add charm and warmth to this place.

The salads are extensive and their national dish vareniki (Ukrainian dumplings) come in all sorts of varieties - including mouthwatering cherry for those with a sweet tooth - with portions of 6 and 12.

Now that they've built a veranda coupled with its interior balcony, you shouldn't be stuck for choice of where to sit. Whist it attracts coach parties, they went by unnoticed whilst I was there probably due to the various dimensions of the floor plan.

Try the tomato and eggplant salad to begin!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank manderjones
Singapore
“Fun just looking at the restaurant and costume”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I chose Taras Bulba because this place would make us feel like being in a village, also they are traditional Ukrainian restaurant. This is what I read beforehand.

As this is an expensive restaurant, I chose business lunch set ;-) It costs 60UAH, there are 3 kinds of lunch set. I had sarma lunch set. All lunch set menu comes with a glass of fruits drink, soup, salad and main dish.
I can't tell what kind of soup that was but it was kinda clear type, not creamy. What looked like cabbage salad is not cabbage, maybe. Every dish tastes so interesting, which I hadn't tasted before. I should say that I savoured authentic Ukrainian cuisine at Taras Bulba.

Even if staff can't speak English fluently, they tried their best, especially a waitress in charge of my table. So lovely. They are open at 10:00, it might be a good place to have a late breakfast or early lunch.

Decoration in entire restaurant is just wow ! Washroom is decorated nicely, too. If you want, i think you can buy the costume, too !

• Visited July 2013