“Great value for money”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Good breakfast and lunch (go for Italian or Scandinavian depending on wether you like seafood or meet). Bathroom shampoo is actually usable. Great cafe downstairs (best tea in Kyiv) in case the weather is not at its best. Downside - a rather peculiar design of the bathroom wall, almost see through, but there's is curtain which is not at easy to notice though. No swimming pool.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
YBandurko, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Guest Maria B,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil for your stay in Kyiv and for taking your time to write such a good review – it was a pleasure to read about your experience! We are looking forward to welcoming you back in future!

Kindest regards,
Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil Team

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Staid in this Hotel for one night on the 20th of July 2013, in their Business Class room. Took me a while to find nice hotel for a decent price in Kiev (they all seem to be very overpriced). This hotel had everything: great, clean and very specious room with new interior. Hotel staff were very friendly and provided with great service. Internet worked very well. We asked to have a taxi booked for us as we needed to go to the Train Station, the taxi was booked in a very efficient manner, arrived on time and did not cost much (around $10). For breakfast I asked for a chocolate mocha, and one of the hotel staff said that they don't offer mocha normally but they were happy to try to make it, I ended up getting a very tasty mocha, was nice of them to take this extra step. Everything was good, the price could have been a bit lower though but still great experience.

Room Tip: Would recommend picking Business Class room as it comes with breakfast and is very nicely appointed...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
YBandurko, Assistant Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Guest KaterynaA,

Thank you for your wonderful review and high ratings, our team is pleased that you’ve chosen the Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil among the other hotels in Kyiv away from home. Good service and nice rooms are certainly our greatest assets. No doubt I will mention your positive feedback to our Food & Beverage manager to ensure this service is improved.
Regarding the price for the breakfast we can also offer some additional options as for example to try our nice breakfasts in our Café 17 as we have a great menu choice and different promotional offers and definitely the prices will pleasantly surprise you and your friends.

Many thanks again, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly look forward to seeing you again should you decide to return to Kyiv.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

This hotel is everything you expect from a Radisson, good hotel and great location. I always stay here when I visit Kiev for business. Only downside is the high cost of breakfast, but there are some good local options nearby

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank B_Mark_2013
YBandurko, Assistant Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear Guets B_Mark_2013,

We appreciate your loyalty to the chain Radisson Blu! We are happy to hear that we keep you impressed with your overall experience. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it always gratifying to receive such praise.

We are very much delighted to hear that you intend to stay the Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil once again.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in June on holiday, it was my first time in Ukraine. Kiev is a city of contrasts, a mixture of new and old, rich and poor. This hotel is a shining example of the modern face of Kiev in an old, slightly edgy but safe area. The quality of the hotel and service were wonderful although if you're looking for local personality this is probably not the place (at least inside), it reminds me of other new hotels in the chain (which isn't a bad thing). The area could probably be compared to Montmartre (Paris), it's full of life and things to watch. The centre of Kiev is around 30 minutes walk but it's well worth it - up the very steep St Martins descent and through the stunning square where St. Michael's Monastery and Saint Sophia's Cathedral are sited. There is also a Metro station within 5 minutes walk.

For any essentials there is a decent supermarket in the adjacent square, though it took me until my second day to find it as it's just a small entrance which expands into a huge cavern of bargains (by Western European standards). Not speaking Russian or Ukrainian is a challenge but other than the typical grumpy assistants it's easy enough.

I had good experiences with the skytaxi from and to the airport, I booked the return via their website which is half the price of the inbound trip. They may not be the cheapest in Kiev but I found them reliable and efficient (by English standard very cheap), though little English is spoken despite what their website may say.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Oliver S

Dear Guest Oliver S,

Thank you for your warm review about your recent stay.

We are very pleased to note how much you enjoyed your visit. It is always a pleasure when the Guest takes the time to comment the hotel.

Thank you for letting the travellers know how impressed you were with the service and the location of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil.

Once again thank you for your support and should your travel plans bring you back to Kyiv, we will be pleased to welcome you again at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have always found Kiev to be an expensive city when it comes to hotels. The Radisson Blu proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am right.
The room was small for the price and the TV selection was lousy. Why is it that all business hotels think that travellers want to watch CNN, BBC World News and that’s it. For 150 euros a night, the least you could expect is films or some SKY channels - anything that wasn't Russian, Arabic, Italian or German.
The front office staff were really helpful, friendly and couldn't do enough to help. The restaurant staff are as miserable as sin. Yes they clear the tables and yes there is coffee there but try and get them to smile, it is not gonna happen!!
I notice that other reviews praise the quality of the breakfast. I felt the fresh fruit salad was chopped into huge chunks and the selection wasn't that great. There were about 6 slices of various cheese on a cheeseboard and some hot food as well. I guess my feeling towards the restaurant is that for 25 euros a person for breakfast, a little friendliness would not go amiss.
The room was comfortable but as some of the others have stated, small. In addition I found it hard to find any storage for clothes in the room. There was a rail and a shelf in the cupboard but very little in the way of drawer space.
Now for the food. Overpriced is an understatement at best. I have attached the price on the menu for Chicken Kiev and (would you believe it ) Fish Fingers and chips. Both are around the £14 -15 mark. I know hotels need to make money but to get what looks like two frozen Bird Eye chicken Kiev’s and a dollop of mashed potato for £15 is outrageous.
There is bar that is attached to the hotel but again it is expensive and average in its food. I did eat at one restaurant in the city and the food was substantial and a fraction of the price. My recommendation is to eat in the city somewhere and don't waste your money.
Taxis are an issue in Kiev as you never actually know who is collecting you and whether they are indeed a taxi service or a mate in a private car. What irritated me immensely is that I asked the hotel to call me a cab and they talked me into using a hotel car. This cost me 100 Hryvnias (and included the driver having to stop every 5 minutes to check a map. The reason? Local taxis take a while to arrive and the cost maybe more because of the traffic. Rubbish. There was little traffic to where I was going and the cost to come back from my office was 35 Hryvnia (and that included the tip).
Overall the hotel is a place to stay and put your head down but frankly, I may well look for somewhere else that is more customer orientated if there is a next time in Kiev.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Grumpypaul69
YBandurko, Assistant Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

As per General Manager's respond to Guest Grumpypaul69:

Dear Mr. Cooper,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact me and to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor. First of all I would like to apologize for the shortcomings you encountered during your stay with us.

The TV system in our hotel has been revised and we have added more channels in order to offer a larger variety of entertainment to our guests, in English we have added documentary channels, sports channels and children channels

I was personally really disappointed about your experience in our breakfast room, I have identified a lack of training in some of our employees which is now being done. Regarding our food I can guarantee you that the items that you mention are 100% prepared with fresh local products in our premises and I apologize if it did not meet your standards.

I have talked to our transportation services to avoid the situation where the driver does not know the location where he is driven to, regarding the different cost between a cab or a private service like the one we offer at the hotel I would like to apologize if my team did mislead you in any way, I can assure you that their recommendations were made with their best intentions for you to have a pleasant trip to your destination.

I really hope that you will have the chance to come to Kiev again and to give me the opportunity to show you our improvements and the real great hospitality we offer here at the Radisson Blu Kyiv Podil. Please let me know when you are planning your next trip and I will make sure we upgrade you complimentary to one of our highest room category.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help

Best regards

Ferran

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I spent 3 nights recently at this brand new hotel in the Podol district of Kiev. Rooms are brand new, well appointed and comfortable. Beds are good, bathrooms are modern and functional.

Breakfast is Radisson standard and so the is the reasonably priced room service. Reception area is very well designed, light and airy.

Kiev is a nightmare in terms of infrastructure - it has barely improved in the 10 years since I first came here so you are at the behest of taxi drivers and dysfunctional public transport.

When I checked in, I had to deal with two AWFUL employees. It was late, I was tired and checked in confirming my elite credentials (Radisson Gold) and requested an upgraded room. The desk assistant was rude, unable to accomodate my request - claiming erroneously that there were no available rooms to upgrade - I checked online and found the room categories available via the Radisson website. His front office manager was even worse. I demanded a meeting with the General Manager who was not available but was delighted to find that the following day, a junior suite was made available to me for the remainder of my stay.

One employee in particular - Olga - was outstanding and rescued my stay and renewed my faith in the brand and the hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ravenna2006
Ferran B, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear Guest Ravenna2006,

Thank You for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, regarding your recent stay at Radisson Blu Hotel, Kiyv Podil.

I always welcome feedback and constructive comments which we find extremely valuable and helpful in the continuous improvements of our services. Definitely all your comments have been already shared with all departments.

On behalf of the entire Radisson Blu Hotel, Kiyv Podil team I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have encountered upon check-in. As we could not supply you with your benefits as a Club Carlson member due to a lack of superior vacant rooms caused by a high occupancy at your arrival (I have asked my revenue manager to check the reasons why availability was showing in our website as physically we did not have a superior room available to accommodate you when you checked in). After reviewing the system I could see that a room was offer to you as soon as it came available and I hope the rest of your stay with us was satisfactory. Since I have received knowledge of this situation I have already taken the proper steps to prevent such issues arising again in the future. Your comments have been reviewed and discussed with our Front Office team accordingly and we have taken steps to re-train our staff, and better prepare our system in such cases. Should you need any assistance for your future reservation, please feel free to contact me directly or the hotel reservations department as soon as possible to avoid lack of available rooms and we will block the room of the definite category for you (as Club Carlson Member). It will be my team and my pleasure if you would like to give us another chance to show you the true Radisson Blu hospitality here at the Radisson Blu Hotel Kyiv Podil

I do hope that soon I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv Podil.

Best Regards
Ferran Brufau

Reviewed 24 June 2013

stayed for the first time in any Radisson Hotel.
I have to wonder why it has taken so long. I have stayed in most of the hotel chains in the world. I have found this jewel in the Podil historic area of Kiev. RadissonBlu Hotel, Kyiv Podil
17-19 Bratska Street Podil, 04070, Kyiv, Ukraine
It is in a quite location minutes away from sidewalk cafes and, terrace restaurants with guitar and violin music playing in the balmy summer weather that is Kiev in summer time.
I liked the feel of this hotel the moment I walked in light, airy, soft simple but classy lobby with furniture that added to the ambience of the hotel.
The room I had 607 was a corner room with a sensational balcony overlooking another delightful historic building on one side and on the other corner the cathedral and Podil square with its newly renovated buildings. A relaxing and very comfortable suite. The room was really nicely furnished in soft relaxing wood tones, a light and airy room, a pleasure to return to after work, or to use the high speed free internet connection in the room.
I had the pleasure to meet the General Manager Ferran Brufau a very outgoing, congenial, and professional hotelier to the extreme. I met Ferran while he was giving an early evening Catalan cooking master class, Barcelona area is where Ferran comes from hence the master cooking class. I learnt that the hotel had been open for around 8 months and, that Ferran who has been with Radisson for 12 year opened the hotel, so was really well versed in the hotels amenities, attractions, its wonderful location, as good as it gets in my opinion. A few minutes’ walk away is the ring road which goes to the airport without going thru town and on the side of the majestic River Dnieper. In the other direction is the Funicular, a couple of grivnas the local money, about $25 cents to one of the best views from the top, of the river, once you have arrived you are just minutes away from the main street of Kiev Khreshchatyk and Maidan, freedom square, simply beautiful in the summer. The whole street is shut off for events at the weekends, cultural and music concerts etc. on arrival at the top you will have two sensational cathedrals with their glistening golden spires on the left and the right. A few meters around the corner is the Andriyivsky Descent, a street of artists and other artifacts and the magnificent St Andrews Cathedral. Staying at the RadissonBlu you are really in the heart of things.
I had a very good steak and fries on return to the hotel very late one night served in the lobby and restaurant bar an ideal place to entertain your friends on comfortable large sofa’s, it was cooked too absolute perfection even at 0200.
Breakfast is a buffet set in the hotels main the Starokievsky restaurant, a very pleasant, light and airy restaurant, a quite setting with black and white photos on the wall adding to the quite relaxing aurora of this eatery. Breakfast is, I have learnt a special feature of RadissonBlu. I was full of anticipation, I wasn’t to be disappointed the breakfast had everything you could want or wish for, one of the best breakfasts I have ever found. Fresh breads of many types, yogurts, Alpro one of my favorites, fresh fruits, you name it, it was probably there. Hot and cold dishes enough selections to whet even the most discerning appetites.
I used the Café17,it has the comfort and ambience of a library for meetings, over coffee and fresh pastries, very comfortable with great burgers, you also have the choice as my business college and I did one afternoon, to have something cold drink sitting outside on the Café 17 sidewalk terrace area, very nice for people watching especially in Kiev where the ladies are so smart and beautiful.
I have to say about the staff they are willing, pleasant, English speaking and really keen to anticipate your needs, ready to help you in any way that you may require. I found the front desk, concierge, even the security guards here smile a rarity anywhere. I met the chef as I was leaving Irina a Ukrainian chef whose dishes are simply divine, again so anxious to please; her dishes are impeccable and divine.
I took the unusual step of writing to the hotel to compliment the staff on their attitude and service commitment
I would recommend this hotel unreservedly 100% RadissonBlu Hotel Kyiv, Podil is a fabulous new 164-roomed hotel, located in the heart of old Kyiv.
I will be back a nice little touch was the bag of pastries that I was given on my depature knowing it was my birthday; they were so good on my journey to the next location in Ukraine.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business