“Left with a "bitter aftertaste ... behind the chic exterior the same old ugly service”
Review of INK

INK
Ranked #1,205 of 1,945 Restaurants in Kiev
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian, Ukrainian
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Visited the restaurant after having looked at their presentation online where they claimed a particular attention to details. And they almost pulled it off for me. The interior was original and chic. Clearly they have thought it through quite professionally. Atmosphere is also up there at the 5 star level. Menu was balancing between the good range of Asian / European fusions. The staff was trying very hard to live up to the standard claimed. I was just beginning to enjoy the experience when was sent down crashing with a rude reminder that I am in Ukraine, not a Western Europe. I have ordered two classes of NZ Sauvignon Blanc for me and my partner. And so they brought two glasses. And although the lights were dim I could not help but notice that the color of the wine was different in each glass. One was Blanc (as it was meant to be) but the other had a strange pink undertone. When I asked about this unusual "discrepancy", a sommelier, who was promptly fetched to our table, said it was because my glass was standing close to the glass teapot with red berry tea in it. I switched the glasses around and it turned out that his ad hoc theory about the effects of the teapot on the color of NZ Sauvignon did not hold. At this point he grabbed my glass and ran away. In a few minutes he came back with a new glass of wine this time of right Blanc color. When I asked what had happened he answered with a noticeable irritation that the bar tender must have forgotten to rinse the measuring cup from the red before...!!!??? With that he turned around and went away! No sorries, no apologies, no regrets. Just like that. Now considering that a glass went for about 20 euro a piece, I was quite taken aback with the whole situation. Clearly the rest of the dinner went on wondering what else they forgot to rinse, wash or clean. When the check arrived I still had a glimmer of hope that they will not charge me for this glass of wine as a subtle attempt to amend the embarrassment. Ha, how naive of me! Not a chance! Oh well, another hope to have a EU level restaurant with the service in Kiev has been brutally dismantled by the mentality of the staff who cares less about the reputation of the place if it means admitting their screw up and losing 20 euros. Not happy and disappointed.
P.S. Still can't understand what is the point of spending huge amount of money to decorate the place and fail on such a basic premise of a decent restaurant service. I would have thought at places like this they ought to train their staff...

Visited October 2013