“Does the job”

Ranked #53 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
Oslo, Norway
“Does the job”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Although previous reviews made me doubt, I booked four nights at Mir and the hotel was about what I expected. Finding it and getting there later couldn't have been easier as there's a Metro station right by the hotel - a two-minute walk and 10 minutes to town. The area around the hotel is mainly residential, with a large road and some kiosks and a 24-hour open shop across the street from the hotel.

The staff spoke a bit of English, and did their job. Checking in took astonishingly long, about five minutes, with no other customers for the attendant to deal with. After making it through this, I enjoyed a 15-floors elevator ride in an old Soviet elevator - these are wonderfully nostalgic, but painstakingly slow. The keykeepers on each floor mentioned here are by the way gone, replaced by magnetic cards.

The room was a single and on the smaller side, but not uncomfortable in any way. A plus was the good storage space, the refridgerator and the fantastic air-conditioning as well as a free water dispenser on each floor with free coffee in the room. The matress could have been better, though.

If you haven't ordered breakfast, it's rather expensive (120UHA). The choices and quality are OK, but don't really defend the price. The restaurant itself has an incredible early-90s cheap cruiseship look to it, that's almost worth checking out for itself - must be quite unique for breakfast.

In total the hotel did what it's supposed to, and I wouldn't object to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank tvmtvm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Staying at the Mir Hotel one appears to move back into a 1950's Soviet movie. The hotel is basic, some of the rooms have the oddest colours, the elevator is simply astonishing, and the restaurant where one has breakfast resembles Moscow rail station.
WIFI did not work once while I was there and no one was able to assist.
The hotel is a distance from Kyiv Centre but a Metro station is right outside the hotel.
Would I stay in this hotel again - certainly not!

Room Tip: Try the 5th floor it seems those rooms have been renovated
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MichaelDUR

Travellers are raving about these Kiev hotels

Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Older reviews of this hotel have stated that it is too far from a metro stop, however new construction has put a metro station an easy 5 minute walk around the corner for Hotel Mir's front door. Location shouldn't be an issue with this hotel unless you refuse to ride Kiev's clean and safe metro. This hotel is an easy 15 minute metro ride from the city center.

Our room was pretty clean. The bed sheets maybe weren't the cleanest in the world, and the mattress wasn't the best I've ever slept on, but I wasn't expecting anything better for the price we paid. The air conditioner worked really well. The free wi-fi didn't work at all in our room and was only usable from the lobby.

The staff speaks almost no English, so they won't be much help unless you speak Ukrainian or Russian.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Saint_Doyle
Russia
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Haw been in Hotel Mir from 30/10-09 to 2/11-09
Together with my wife I had a plan about a nice cosy trip to Kiev to celebrate our first year as married. Upfront we did not know anything about this place and not even about this page "tripadviser"
In the short time we was there I was bitten by a flea, (Norwegian Loppe/ Russian Klopp) For this unpleasant experience I asked for some compensation as a better room. Yes we got a new room, but it was not better, unless you call other colors better. Here the toilette had a hard time to function and we found out in the evening that not even here we was alone. Our other guests in the room was a lot of bugs, nearly around 100 of them, but they was small.
I have been to the reception two times and shown them my nice unpaying guests from the rooms. Don't look as they care mush about it because they did not show mush interest for my experience. But they have one good side, we decided to leave this place because of all this bugs and they payed back absolutely all of what we payed for the rooms. This is the only positive I found here.
The bar downstairs was looking nice too and we had some meals here, not bad prices, but very small portions. In 6'th floor it was some kind of restaurant that was closed so I have no experience from here.
In general I think this place is very terrible, it means not mush clean. Very mush ignorant staff and rooms that do not function well or are specially clean.
Overall the worst hotel experience I ever had in a hotel, Have not even had this in Africa.
I am very sorry that I did not take pictures to show how this place was.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shamaek
hotelmirkiev, Manager at Mir, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
We are apologizing for your bad experience while staying in the hotel "Mir".
We understand you had not the best vacation but truly tried to help you with all the issues you had. The bugs you had in your room were ants. The sanitary service came right on the next day and removed all the bugs.
We try to improve the quality of our service every day and looking forward to see you in Kiev again/ Hope your opinion will change next time.

With the best wishes,
Team of Kiev hotel "Mir"
London
Reviewed 14 December 2007

Returning from Crimea and needed an overnight stop - Borispil Airport hotel was fully booked, so found the Mir sight-unseen via Opodo. No previous reviews to check, so expected the worst. Prepaid taxi from airport (UAH200 = c. GBP20/USD40). Arrived in a suburb to the south east of the city centre, beyond the southern Metro terminus (a 25-min walk). Hotel was a 16-floor Soviet style block, dating from 1980s. Happily, no old-style Soviet attitudes when checking in, but rules of engagement remain slightly different from US or Western European hotels. Thus, paid up-front at the desk but wasn't issued a key. This I had to obtain from a lady stationed on my floor, the 9th. I would likewise have to return the key to her each time I left. Lift and lobby area a bit aged but room had been attractively refurbished. Small but cosy, was my verdict. Unusual set-up for breakfast - there is a ground floor restaurant (takes some finding in a maze-like layout), but breakfast is served in a very intimate room on the 6th floor. My choice of ham and eggs was freshly prepared, and delicious too. I never managed to sample the ground-floor bar, which was self-contained and also looked rather cosy. A small shop near the front desk offered a few items - less well stocked than western counterparts. The Mir is off the main business/tourist track and its relatively remote location means that it is used mainly by locals, but I was very happy with my overall experience.

• Liked — Refreshingly different - non-corporate ambience, clean, cosy room
  • Disliked — Remote from city centre and a trek to get there
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo