“Small but Ok”
Review of Opera Hotel

Opera Hotel
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This hotel has a perfect location, very close to downtown, about 5-7 minutes walking distance. Although the hotel itself is a small one comparing to Hyatt or Premier it definetely deserves the star rating. The staff was very friendly, internet connection free of charge, room was very clean, and spacious. I was not able to try the fitness center, but visited it. It is quite useful as well. During the days I stayed, the hotel was fıully booked, therefore had to stay in a suit, with a complimentary bottle of wine, and sweets. Usually, all Kiev Hotels have their taxi companies basically charging 5x than the taxi rate. but opera hotel just calls a cab, and you pay normal taxi fee only. I may recommend this hotel to families, and for business trips.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mvolkaneser

Reviewed 25 May 2011

I didn't used to make a big deal about service in hotels as after check in, your pretty much done and it's all about the room from there on. This hotel changed all that for me.
The pleasant attitude, helpfulness and sincerity of the staff would secure another visit from me ...

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The hotel is very nice and cozy. The stuff is amicable and useful. The rooms are sapcy and clean. The restaurant is the best in the city. The hotel is located a bit far from the historical centre (Chreshchatik street) (30 min walk), but it's very calm round it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I stayed last September in this hotel for business, it's very nice and location is quite central, at the end of the day for me it was super go and have a walk from the hotel to the Opera, which is 5 minutes walk, and all surrounding area.
The hotel is a little bit expensive but service is professional - especially front desk and concierge -, I also tested the private driver organized by the hotel and driver was professional aswell. Breakfast is not so gorgeous actually...
Rooms are very spacious, clean and modern.
In general I recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank goodtraveller85
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Went on 4 nights vacation stay with wife and 3 kids (2, 5, 12 y.o.). Hotel was almost empty during these days (right after orthodox Christmas).
Value was excellent to me, in terms of what I paid there would probably be 2,5 times more for same or a little better quality in Hyatt, Kiev.
Kids enjoyed it, all of them and all of it. Though my kids love travelling in general and been to many places where service was much worse and still enjoyed it :)
Room service was willing to go beyond - e.g. first night we came in late and in no mood to go downstairs to eat, so looked at room service menue and there wasn't really a lot for kids, called the restaurant and they immediately agreed to go beyond menu and do something very specific for kids per our request and it was also done quickly.
Put 4 for rooms since we could hear the TV set which was on the wall of adjacent room, right behind a thin wall from our bed, though neighbors were not really playing it loud, it was just a bad positioning of a TV set. Had to call the neighbors and ask them to turn volume down. Fortunately, they were kind enough to do so.
Also, everything on the other side of shower curtain was not what I would expect in a 5*. Bath was a plastic one, curtain itself was not positioned right and a lot of water was coming out when I was taking showers.
Breakfast was VERY good, all things were kept fresh and in good supply, also people there were willing to facilitate special requests.
Dinners were outstanding value, in Moscow we would have to pay 3 times as much for the size and quality of meals we had there. We had lunches outside, but no place we went for lunch could compare to the hotel's restaurant, though 1 or 2 were not bad.
Concierge services were not so good for a large family - we could not get them to order a decent taxi, and for airport pickup/delivery they found a VW minivan which costed us short of $100 one way. Good quality taxis are a general problem in Kiev, though i.e. no child seats available, they will not accept your request if you don't have a local mobile number etc. But I wish the 5* hotel could find a real decent taxi company in a capital city and stick to it...
Staff was friendly but not too much pro-active. Had a problem with paying with credit cards - they first reserved payment for entire stay from one of my cards, then at checkout they could not get payment executed from that same card and took the entire amount from the other card (luckily I had one more with me).
Location is good in the sense it's definitely a central one and a quite one at same time. The surroundings though were not very picturesque. Looks of the hotel inside and outside were pretty good, exactly as bright and nice as they are shown on the photos on the hotel web site (in a lot of cases people publish photos which are better than reality, this here was not the case).
Conclusion - it's a good service and good value for travellers who can forgive small shortcomings. If we ever go to Kiev again, the Opera would be on top of our preferred list.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank FlyingKindergarten
Reviewed 14 December 2010

As I was waiting for about 8 minutes for an elevator, I muttered under my breath that it was ridiculous (feeling a bit frustrated). A woman beside me said "it's not ridiculous, it's just a quaint hotel, things move slowly". Feeling a little chided, I smiled and waited another 3-4 minutes for an elevator. Finally back in my room, I turned on the tap for a shower before heading to work - and no hot water. So, a "quaint" cold shower later, I joined trip advisor to leave a review. Opera is a very pretty hotel, and the staff are friendly. The rooms are ok, but not 5-star as you'd expect from a more modern hotel. If you consider a cold shower, because the hot water runs out in the morning to be "quaint" then you will like it. Or if you can sleep in and wait til it gets hot again. Otherwise, consider another 5-star if you're here for work and want things to move a little less quaintly. Overall, though, I'd recommend it for vacationers more than business.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Nuaka
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I stayed at hotel Opera with my wife on her birthday. The hotel staff were excellent. We used the concierge service to get last minute tickets to the ballet and opera. Both times we got excellent seats. The staff were very friendly and spoke good english. The hotel provided champagne for my wifes birthday (without us mentioning that it was her birthday) they must have checked our passport details when we checked in. I thought that was an excellent gesture.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple