“Roman1”
Review of Opera Hotel

Opera Hotel
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This is an excellent hotel in every respect and I consider amongst the very best. I have stayed a couple of times and planning another trip and propose to return to the hotel. What impresses me most about the hotel is the friendly, engaging and professional staff. Nothing seems too much trouble and the service is very quick indeed...there is no waiting here! The staff have helped me with my language skills and are knowledgeable about Kyiv and can advise you on your travel needs and what's on. I was very impressed by the speed with which the concierge organised tickets to the recent Ukrainian National Dance Company (Virsky) concerts at the Palace of Arts - a "must see" by the way! The tickets were waiting for me on my arrival, which was much appreciated. The rooms are very comfortable and I love the rose petals in the bath room! But some tips: First try the restaurant...the food is very nice, though Ukrainian portions are not petite! A starter can be a main...and "hot starter" really does mean a main. (Same as in the US!) Second if you are an ice cream lover this is your heaven! Ice cream is not on the menu so ask for it...the chef makes it...I think it must be his hobby and it is to die for!!! Third go for the burgers Ukrainian style...the best ever! Fourth try the Ukrainian wine. Hotels and restaurants such as the Opera in Kyiv get the pick of the best and Ukrainian wine from the south is simply the very best (red) and white is good too. It is also cheaper than imports. Fifth the hotel is just 5 - 10 mins walk from University metro station so use it. Avoid using taxis during the morning and evening rush hours...Kyiv has changed and the traffic jams can delay you! Use the metro in any event just for the experience...it is so cheap I don't know why they don't just make it free. Overall I found the hotel offers great value for the standards it offers. A home from home. Hope this helps! Very difficult to find fault.

Room Tip: I always go for the standard rooms. They offer everything you could possibly need so why pay more bu...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
DavidMohren, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Roman1,

first of all thank you very much for the detailed Feedback about your stay with us.
We are very happy and proud that we could completely satisfy you during your stay with us.
We really hope that we have the chance to accommodate you again at the Opera Hotel during your next visit to Kiev.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed 3 nights in Opera Hotel in February. To be honest the hotel is in general good, especially the staff is very friendly and professional. Housekeeping is decent, the rooms and the bathrooms are very clean. I have not tried the spa however the gym is quite small. The check-in, check-out process was fast and good. On the other hand it is just a standard hotel compared to the services you get. It is way overpriced!
The restaurant in the hotel is serving decent food but again very expensive. It was also disappointing for me not to have proper Ukrainian dishes. Overall you totally miss the feeling that you are in Ukraine in the hotel.
It is a very good hotel if you want to feel like you are anywhere in western Europe but if you would like experience Ukraine I do not think it is the right place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear DSS_Willow,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this Review.
We are very grateful for the compliments for our Service and are looking already forward to welcome you again at the Opera Hotel during your next visit to Kiev.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

When the best is home from home, warm, welcoming and an irresistible haven to come back to time and time and time again
The wonderfully located Opera Hotel is just a few minutes away from the city centre of the Kiev to my mind the most beautiful of European cities. I have never seen another city with so many golden globes of the amazing St. Volodymyr's Cathedral, Saint Sophia Cathedral, and Kiev Opera House is just around the corner, within easy is the Golden Gate to the city of Kie.
I have had the pleasure of staying in many of the standard rooms some newly refurbished to a very high quiet and relaxing standard, the Superior rooms somewhat larger than the standard have comfortable settees with quite lighting for relaxation after the work days end. The suites are all themed Japanese, Moroccan Suite with a super large balcony for those summer evenings to look down on the tree lines boulevard below. American or executive suite and Italian elegant superior furnishings, deep luxurious carpets, heavy ceiling to floor drapes, standard lamps with all that the modern traveler may need, such as complimentary high speed internet, Panasonic portable telephones, flat screen modern TV’s, safe all with a great many satellite stations to meet the demands of most nationalities. There is a working size desk in every room with spare plugs enough for all computing and phone charging needs. 24 hour front desk (reception) business centre, secretary available on request this hotel can be your office away from home.
Of course like all 5 star quality hotels the Opera Hotel has the Diva Spar with such treatments to spoil and enhance your senses. This spa which I finally have now used on at least two occasions is just what is needed after your long day or even long trip to Kiev. You can try the traditional Thai, Polynesian, hot stone massages, there is a gym, sauna Jacuzzi, and trained beauticians with top European cosmetics to enhance your wellbeing, many more treatments for men and ladies this Anne Semonin spa caters for every one that needs the use of a very friendly and modern spa.
It is impossible to stay at the Opera Hotel without using the Teatro fine dining restaurant and Bellini’s bar. Bellini’s Bar is a snug cozy little bar serving local and international beers with a great selections of wines, whiskies, cognacs and cocktails and a good selection of bar food, the bar extends to the outside terrace in the summer months and is a cool place to people watch, if you’re a man to watch the very beautiful well attired ladies on their way to and from work, work is not all bad sometimes from such a location
The beautiful lobby with a white grand piano, and on some evenings a wonderful harpist playing soft easy listening music, the lobby is always bedecked with the finest of floral arrangements, big settees and area’s to hold private conversations, . Service from Bellini’s Bar can be obtained in the lobby so you don’t have to leave meetings with friends or business contacts.
Kirill Kuleshov Chief Concierge member of "Les Clefs d'Or" The concierge is an award winning concierge and they can sort you out with transportation, tickets, where night life and restaurants are should you desire to dine out, phone cards , onward reservation’s they are indeed a very helpful, full service professional, pleasant ever willing to assist the needs of guests is a welcome part of Opera Hotel.
Teatro the fine dining restaurant on the second, since the coming of that wonderful Corporate Executive Chef Emmanuel Soares a year or so ago I have seen personally that with his two trusted wingmen Paulo Vas and Eric Testes the food had good from good to better the breakfast has perhaps one of the best spreads available, cold meats, salads, many different breads, yogurts’, honey’s including honeycomb, freshly squeezed juices, selections of teas, hot dishes vegetable, eggs boiled or scrambled or to order, bacon mushrooms and tomatoes, brilliant, They do a super businessman’s lunch at a very reasonable price with a very varied and delicious choice I had the pleasure to have lunch there twice during my last visits. I would eat there many times again into the future. They have the businessmans lunch card which will entitle the holder to every 10th lunch on the house.
It’s in the evening that the Teatro Restaurant finds itself as truly remarkable fine dining venue. The food here has the favours of Provence emanating from Emmanuel Soares background, I think they do one of the best steaks ever done in any hotel I have stayed in with Foiegras and truffles its food to die for.
There are pasta dishes and local ukrainian dishes and you could do worse than try the tantalizing tasteful ukrainian dips that start the meal.
During any meal or drink that you make partake of in the hotels restaurants or bars you will meet a tall very hard working Food and Beverage director Stephan Masche he is always asking if you require anything and seems to be everywhere all at the same time a consummate professional.
This is my third time back at Opera Hotel in the last few months it has become a true home from home.
It is so very special to get out of the car and have the welcome start as the doorman opens the door and says hallo to me by name. I walk into and down the few steps to the lobby the flowers are welcome , the concierge desk says a warm welcome, likewise the reception say welcome back to Opera Hotel Mr. Finn please sign your preregistered check in card, and I am on the way to the room, however by this time Mr. David Mohren the professional and extremely pleasant general manager, who has made such a success of this hotel since he came little more than a year ago, is saying welcome back to your home in Kiev, how could you not like this welcome its sincere not like in some places where it is quite obviously a job. I have stayed as the most traveled person some 7000 hotel beds and have a great idea which is good or not, this is why I share me views so that others my share the same experiences I have myself.
I will be going back to Kiev and the Opera Hotel in couple of weeks’ time for some more of that good old fashioned warmth and welcome that is entirely persona of this Hotel.
A small tip they have a Pinot Noir house wine from Ukraine ist brilliant try it you will like it for sure.
Keep up the good work it shows and people like me love it

Room Tip: all rooms are unique depends if you want to look out over the street ot the side of the hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank flyfinnn
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at the Opera Hotel two times in the last few months. The first visit went beautifully in November. Great reception staff led by Vladmir, great Concierge group, great service from restaurant staff and nice housekeeping during our stay. Room was adequate size and quite comfortable. Location is very good - close to some attractions, subway, and nice restaurants. We particularly enjoyed Piccolino's nearby. The food at the hotel was very good...we loved dinner there. Staff was very good, although food was slow from kitchen on first visit. On our second visit, it was improved.
Our second stay over the New Year was not at the previous level. We had a an issue develop with housekeeping. We had brought along a nice bottle of champagne and some wines for the New Years celebration. We enjoyed it and kept it separated from the trash container. Items that are trash would be put in the trash container. Some days, items clearly put on the trash container were not picked up and disposed of. However, the champagne bottle had sentimental value...it was not even close to the trash area...it was thrown away. It was with our other bottles of water and juice. Other wine was there too. These items were our property. Maybe minor for some, but so disappointing to us that it was thrown away. Upon check out I made the suggestion that in the future it would be a good idea to not discard people's things if they were not in the trash. Clearly they were aware of the incident and became rude. I was told that it was empty, what was the issue? I was just trying to assist with some customer advice, the girl could have handled this so much better. Some training would be helpful. I then checked my bill and saw that I was charged for an extra day...their mistake. I enjoyed much of the staff, but a few can ruin the experience. We will find another hotel in Kiev next time. I also reviewed this hotel on Expedia...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David K

Dear David K,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this Review.
We are very sorry to hear that we could not satisfy you during your stay.
To be able to discuss the issue personally with you, please contact me directly und DMohren@opera-hotel.com.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

It was the second time I was staying in Opera hotel,
Got a free upgrade to a larger room with a bath which was amazing,
The room was so clean, king size bed was so comfy and the bathroom was spotless,
Tried the food (salmon) in restaurant which was fresh and tasty,
booked a Deep tissue massage for an hour which was unbelievably relaxing,
The Gym, Sauna and Jacuzzi were always clean and the staff were very professional as well as all the staff in hotel including Porters and doormen,
Would definitely stay again when I am in Kiev,
Special thanks to Management, Stefan F&B Manager and Elena.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
dmohren, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Vic S,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this Review.
We are extremly proud to receice such a fantastic feedback which shows us again that all our efforts are leading to 100% guest satisfaction. I will pass your Feedback to our staff and I am sure it will be an additional motivation for them. We are looking forward to welcome you again at the Opera Hotel during your next visit to Kiev.

Opera Hotel Kiev- A Member of the Leading Hotels of the World

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed at the Opera hotel for 4 nights in December 2012 and on the whole, was disappointed.
At face value, the hotel looks quite nice, but the further you go it is clear the detail between which makes an expensive hotel a good hotel is just missing.

The hotel is relatively modern, however it is decorated in a more formal and older-world style. Decor aside, the room itself was average with function sacrificed for aesthetics. Perhaps most frustrating was the shower. The small size and poor design meant it was impossible to position the shower head in a way that you could actually stand under the water; the lighting in the room was too dim to properly read at night and the pillows were so soft they needed to be folded in half to offer any neck support.

The location of the hotel was similarly disappointing. It is a 15 minute walk from the main street (Khreshchatyk). This would not be so much of a problem, except the hotel restaurant was over-priced for the quality of the food and service. Everyone knows that hotel laundry services are expensive however the US$17 fee to wash a T-shirt was just laughable.

There are a number of 5 star hotel options in Kiev. I can't really think of a reason why I would recommend someone to choose the Opera Hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hotsyd22

Dear hotsyd22,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
I am very sorry to hear that we could not satisfy you during your stay with us and you can be very sure that I am following up all your mentioned issues. I can assure you that this is not the usual Standard in our property and we are especially focused on the small details to satisfy our guest.
I still hope that you will give us a second chance during your next visit to Kiev so that we can show your our real Standard.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Five Star in every way stayed 6/11 Dec quite and extraordinary Hotel nothing was too much trouble for the friendly and helpful staff a real credit to this ever improving City.The room was luxury in every way high class toiletries and shower gels and a heated bathroom floor. I struggle to find a better one i have stayed all over the world and this one was top class. The free use of the business centre for emails and catching up a real help. Free wi fi as well throughout the Hotel. 10/10 had a great deal for an extended stay, a good 15/20 mins walk from the Kryshatyk but Universitet metro close enough.

Room Tip: All five star Rooms .
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RalphCardiff
DavidMohren, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear RalphCardiff,

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
We are extremly happy to receive such a nice review from a Senior Contributor like you, who experienced for sure a lot of different hotels. That is why we are very proud that we could completly satisfy you during your stay with us and looking already forward to welcome you again during your next visit to Kiev.