“Great Location and Great Staff”

Sunflower B&B Hotel
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed 4 nights in Kyiv and I changed from the hotel I originally planned to stay at to the Sunflower based on its reviews on TripAdvisor, and they were not wrong.

The hotel is in the centre of Kyiv and is perfectly located for seeing the sights of the city. At the bottom of the road is Independence Square, and from here Khreshchatyk is only one to two minutes’ walk away. Most sights can be easily reached on foot from the hotel, and there is a Metro station beneath Independence Square for the sights that can’t (only 2UAH (about 16p) between any 2 stations).

The staff I met (Zoya, Tatyana and Anna) were very welcoming (as a previous review stated, it was like being welcomed into a very good friend's home), and they were always friendly and helpful, despite me often being in and out of their office asking for information/directions/advice and often dropping off/collecting my room key, sometimes several times in a day. They made it a very easy, enjoyable and comfortable stay, and I’d say we parted as good friends.

People have been worried about the hotel being down an alley, but this passage is clean and lit at night. In fact, I don’t think I’ve felt safer than when in Kyiv.

Although in the centre of Kyiv, the area the Sunflower B&B is in was surprisingly quiet. My room (No 2) was spacious and clean and had everything needed for a comfortable stay. The modern en-suite was larger than at some hotels and contained both a bath and a shower. Every day the room was cleaned and a new bottle of drinking water left.

And every morning breakfast was delivered to my room at exactly the time I’d chosen. I’d get another knock on the door 2 minutes later if the breakfast was still outside my room. The breakfast itself consisted of: tea or coffee (whichever you chose), orange juice, cereal, 2 pieces of toast (wrapped in a napkin to keep them warm), a cake (once I had 4 Jaffa cakes), yoghurt, butter, jam, honey, cheese triangle(s), a piece of fruit, and sugar and milk for the hot drink. The breakfast easily sustained me for 5-6 hours of nearly continuous walking. Some older reviews say that the coffee is undrinkable: the coffee you get now is very good.

Although there isn’t a restaurant at the hotel, there are several restaurants and bars within 5 minutes’ walk that do cheap food and beer (including a food court in the shopping centre beneath Independence Square and a McDonalds at the hotel end of Independence Square), and, of course, there are many restaurants and bars on Khreshchatyk.

I would advise booking airport transfers through the hotel. It makes life so much easier, and the driver (Valentyn in my case) was very nice and told me about life in Kyiv and about the route we were taking. He also helped to carry my luggage up the stairs to my room. I paid $35 each way – Borispil is about 30km from the hotel; not bad considering other taxis charged a lot more.

My room cost 80 Euros per night with breakfast included, and as a total package, the hotel is great value for the price you pay and I would highly recommend it to everyone. I’m certainly going to stay there again the next time I visit Kyiv.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Sunflower B&B Hotel

Reviewed 4 October 2011

So, I've been in Ukraine for a month. I've been in Kiev for 2 weeks and traveling around the south and east of the country for 2 more.
I've stayed in four star hotels and in two star hovels. The Sunflower B&B is by far the best of all of them and reasonably priced.
The room is as big as the one in the four-star hotel.
But in the four-star hotel, they didn't bring you breakfast in bed (well, on a trolley to your room every morning).
The place is clean and bright with high ceilings and big windows.
The rooms open up on the back of the building so it is relatively quiet, thought it is steps from Independence Sq. and the Metro.
They don't have a restaurant on the premises, but you're in the center of town if you stay here, so a short walk offers many choices for a meal.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank GreggGonsalves
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Had a 3 day break in Kyiv (following the Europa League) and we selected the Sunflower.
Great location in Kyiv, being just off Khreschatyk Street, 3 mins from Independence Square and 5 mins from the Lobanovsky Stadium.
It's not really a hotel in the traditional sense of the word, moreover, it's a number of rooms on a single floor in a 4 or 5 storey building.
Our room was large, light, with ensuite and kitchenette, dressing gowns, slippers, bottled water, air-con, satellite TV (although very few English speaking channels - perhaps not entirely surprising!), nice quality furniture, security safe, internet access (wired not wi-fi) and breakfast delivered to your room. All fixtures and fittings were in excellent condition and everything was clean.
The building was accessed via a small alley off Kostelnaya - as others have mentioned the alley looks a bit scruffy but it's illuminated at night, and swept every day. Never did we feel in any danger in Kyiv.
Staff were pleasant, and even loaned me a laptop, as all my internet devices were wi-fi...and their access was wired.
They arranged transport to/from the airport at a reasonable price, and the drivers were very talkative and very informative.
Would highly recommend if you're looking for a base for your stay in Kyiv, but don't necessarily want all the facilities that come with a larger establishment, which is reflected in the room rate.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StokiePokie
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I stayed at the Sunflower for three nights in September 2011 based on previous reviews on Tripadvisor. This is a charming small hotel located in the city centre. I paid Euro 80 per night for bed and breakfa which is extremely cheap for Kiev. Staff were welcoming and helpful on arrival and throughout my stay. My room was comfortable, very clean and had everything I needed including free internet access, Breakfast was delivered to my room at a pre arranged time and was fresh and tasty.
Previous reviews are accurate and I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter N
Reviewed 25 August 2011

After having spent a week in Ukraine on business I stayed another two days on my own visiting the great city of Kiev. B&B Sunflower was a perfect spot to do so. It is next to the central square of the town, just a walk away from a number of the city's highlights and the subway taking you to any other place worth visiting (and there're a lot in Kiev!). Reception is very friendly and helpful, room is spacious, astonishingly quite considering the fact that you're in the very city centre, good bed, clean bathroom. As to breakfast: you have to take it in the room (but the trolley wheeled to your door has everything you need). Great value for the price you pay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RichardBelgium
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights and can only recommend this place. It is perfectly located - just few steps from the main street Kreschatik with its pubs and restaurants. On the other hand, it is located in quiet inner courtyard enabling peaceful sleep.
Staff were always helpful.
Rooms are spacious enough, tastefully and practically furnished and clean. Bathroom well equipped.
The only flaw – no elevator.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SlovakTraveller777
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I felt like I was being welcomed into a very good friend's home. From now on, this will be my home when in Kiev. I've stayed here twice... On the second stay, the hosts immediately knew who I was, and I felt like family.

The location couldn't be better! The hosts arranged for Boryspil Airport transfers, had tea & biscuits ready upon arrival, provided a full breakfast (see photo) which was served at my time of choosing, and they had great tips for getting about and things to see in Kiev.

The Sunflower B&B is an excellent option for your next stay in Kiev.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo