Hotel Meson de Maria
US$123
US$107
Barcelo San Salvador(San Salvador)
US$95
US$85
Hotels.com
US$139
US$112
  • Pool
US$77
US$73
Hotel Mirador Plaza(San Salvador)
US$93
US$79
Kal Nawi Hotel(San Salvador)
US$89
Hotel Armonia Hostal(San Salvador)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$148
TripAdvisor
All reviewstica busgreat hotelmaisonexecutivenicaragualobbyluggagerates
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Let me list you the pros and cons I've seen of this hotel during my short stay.
The good things: * Most of their occupancy is from people travelling by Ticabus (like us), people in a bus the whole day just wants to get a bed and sleep, so the hotels turns really quiet.
* The Bus arrives and leave from the hotel, so you just don't need to translate anywhere (a big pro in a dangerous country)
*Just steps away from fast food restaurants like Pizza Hut,Wendy's and MacD.
*Wifi available included.
*I've been told that the other hotel where Ticabus stops in San Carlos (a little cheaper) is much worst than this one, and in a threatening zone of the city, so that leaves el meson de maria as the best choice (we paid $32 for a double room).
*Clean place

The bad things: *XS rooms (not small, tiny)
*We were given a room with two individuals beds, not very comforting for a couple.
*The mattress are kind of old and the pillows are extra thin
*If you are not travelling with Ticabus and need a long stay this is not a comfortable option.
*Did i mention the room was so small that you can't step without hit with something
*Amenities? what is that? two tiny soaps is all what they give you and is not even enough for a good shower.

With all that said, if you are planning to stay in there you better make a reservation first; or you may be facing the inconvenient situation of moving in a city you don't know to try to find a good place to sleep for some hours.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravellingDonkey
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel, hostel, motel. Whatever you want to call it, you get what you pay for.It's safe, clean and it has a shower and a decent bed to sleep in. It's perfect for the overnight stay or if you spend your days out doors and just relax at night.the only complimentary service is wi fi that's all and nowadays that's all you need, lol

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This hotel goes out of its way to advertise itself as the place to stay if you are taking a Tica Bus, since there is a Tica Bus terminal in the downstairs portion of their building. So you would think that they would cater to their bread & butter customers by offering a better experience.

I do need to qualify and say that the rooms are cheap, cheap, cheap. Even for a "supposed" executive room for $32 USD/night, you shouldn't expect anything more than a Motel 6 experience. However, I had read that the executive rooms were larger than the standard, and after we paid our $32, we were taken to the first room off the lobby where there was no way either of our suitcases could have opened. I asked for a new room and was led 3 doors down the hallway to room 7, which had more space, but that's not saying a lot.

The room comes w/ two bath towels, 2 small bars of soap, and in our case, 1/2 roll of toilet paper. The shower curtain kept falling down because the hooks were too heavy for the curtain. The room did have a nice wardrobe, which we didn't need just for one night, and a fan and working a/c.

But the beds!! OMG they were awful. We were a couple and given a room w/ twin beds. The beds were small, short, and I kept stubbing my toe on the wall every time I turned over to that side. I didn't get any sleep at all. The internet in the room worked great though.

The hotel did perform its wake up call right on schedule. My biggest gripe about the hotel came in the morning though. They had told us breakfast would start at 5:30 a.m. By 5:50 a.m. we were told there would be no breakfast service until after 6:00 a.m., when our bus would be pulling out. They said if we had paid $39.50 instead of $32 we would have had guaranteed breakfast service. Well why did no one tell us that the day before when we inquired about breakfast and its availability early in the morning.

Also if your bread and butter customers are early morning Tica bus passengers, why wouldn't you go out of your way to have coffee and breakfast for them before their bus leaves. Just doesn't make sense. In the end, this place is convenient, decent amenities, terrible beds, and a total lack of concern for their clients. Only stay here for one night if you must catch the bus the next morning, and don't expect much.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Executive Room for $32 (if you are a Tica bus passenger) and try to get down the hall, away from lobby
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I was traveling from Costa Rica to El Salvador with Tica Bus. I arrived around 10:30 pm and I didn't have a place to stay. There was in front of me this hotel. I paid 14$ per night for a room for 2. The room had 2 individual beds that were ok, it didn't have Tv, but the Wifi signal was very good. It didn't have AC and it was necessary because it was very hot in El Salvador, but it had a fan. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. It didn't include breakfast but it is located in the Zona Rosa of El Salvador, which is pretty beautiful and safe, so we took a little walk in the morning and ate a great and cheap breakfast at a local restaurant. That night at this hotel was very good, the staff were very helpful.

I stayed 2 more nights in this hotel after traveling around El Salvador and Guatemala. If was a completely different room. I was with a friend and we paid 16$ dollars per night each. The room was very big with its own bathroom and shower, it had AC and TV. There were 2 king size beds that were very comfortable. It was very convenient because our bus was leaving at 3 am. We fall asleep and woke up 13 min before 3, we didn't have our luggage ready and could even take the bus.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I simply can't understand why this hostel is $20 a night for a dorm. Throughout my entire time in El Salvador I paid $8 or $9 per night but for over double you would expect something good right? Wrong.
- Computers at reception need to be paid for
- No communal area
- Tiny rooms
- No lockers
In fact, once 1pm reaches you actually need to leave the premises and can't even hang around to wait for a bus
- No filtered water
In fact, when my friend went to buy a bottle of water at 11pm, the receptionist told him that there were "no more drinks at all" after 10pm. This meant my friend needed to wander the streets at midnight in order to get a drink.

I must say that the staff were very nice & helpful to me, but to my friend they were not, so I suppose it's a flip of the coin.

This hostel is clearly extorting the fact that they are above the Tica Bus station - I recommend staying down the road somewhere cheaper & with better atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo