“Worst hotel ever”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Managua
Hotel el Gran Marquez
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Managua
“Worst hotel ever”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I just read a few reviews for this hotel and most seem quite good. The question is if they are talking about the same property in Managua which turned out to be my worst possible stay anywhere that I have visited before. Here´s why and the staff cannot refute any of my complaints:
1. For two days there was no running water, period. I was told it was a temporary thing but 48 hours is a long time in anyones watch.
2. The waste basket in the bathroom had not been cleaned upon my arrival.
3. We asked for a cab and the condition of the car was so bad, it would take me a lot of time to detail.
4. I do not know why they say that breakfast is included because the amount of food is ideal for a two year old kid, maybe.
5. The receptionist did not know how to use a credit card.
6. At one point I had to beg for a bucket of water so that I could flush the toilette. I got the bucket alright but without water so I ended up collecting water from the swimming pool myself.
I feel like the owners suddenly decided to abandon their business and left it to the cleaning staff who I believe are not to blame. Please do yurselves a favor and avoid this property.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CasaSula-BB

San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I stayed at Hotel El Gran marquez with a friend while exploring Managua, and had a great experience there. The hotel was clean and so cute because it has a garden and pool area, free access to internet, knowledged staff, and tasty complimentary breakfast! It was important for me to be in a safe area (one of my main concerns) and close to restaurants and shopping too, and this hotel was perfect for that! It gave me a homey feel because of the hotel set up, the staff and the access to everything. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Nicaragua, and I am a really picky person, and just saying the honest truth! You wont be disappointed and will have a peace of mind!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I traveled with family and we stayed at El Gran Marquez great hotel; from the moment we arrived there the staff was great, friendly, I feel like a queen, they were so nice and so attentive to our need specially if you're traveling with a toddler, the rooms so clean; the food was the best, a gorgeous pool clear sparkling water....love it!!, my 3 year old had a blast!!!.
They give us a great information touring in Managua, a totally spectacular experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Managua
Reviewed 17 April 2010

This small hotel is clean, friendly and safe. In an upper-scale residential neighbourhood, it has a small garden with birds and flowers, and is a close walk to good restaurants and a shopping mall. The restaurant is basic, the cleaning service could use a little "greening", and the staff are helpful and warm.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
florida
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I recently traveled to Nicaragua for a medical mission trip. I landed at the Nicaragua airport at midnight alone. Knowing very little spanish, I spoke with several taxi drivers trying to find the cleanest, safest, most affordable hotel in downtown Managua. Most stated that the Hotel Gran Marquez was the place for me. Upon arriving to the hotel I was greeted by one of the owners, Cesar. He spent an hour or so talking with me in both english and spanish, as he is bilingual. Immediately I had a sense that he was looking out for my safety and well being. The hotel proved to be very safe as it was monitored by a security guard who also brought me cold beer on a silver tray. The room was very clean and tasteful. The next day I was greeted by Patricia, the other owner. She was delightful and encouraged my exploration of spanish with a great sense of humor. Breakfast was delicious and my time by the pool (pascina) was very relaxing. Overall, I felt like I was taken in by a family and I'm very greatful for the experience. If I was to return to Nicaragua, I would make it a point to visit with them again in Managua.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
CA
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Thank you El Gran Marquez for contributing to my amazing experience in Nicaragua.

This boutique hotel is so charming and beautiful, with its bright pink walls, lush green courtyard, and blue pristine swimming pool (I loved the colors!) And it's pretty easy to get lazy, with the dining area in the open space and cozy seating areas throughout the perimeter. I came to explore and travel different Nicaraguan places, but on sunny days, it was very hard to tear away from lounging around here!

One thing I noticed very quickly was how clean the hotel was! I think the staff cleans every hour because the hotel and rooms are immaculate. The rooms themselves are very comfortable, with TV, A/C and warm water in the shower (hard to find in Nicaragua). In the lobby they also have Internet access, which was great b/c I check my emails every day. The location is also very convenient, close to the airport and in Zona Hippa, with a bunch of eating spots close by. Yet one of the best features of this hotel might be their COMPLIMENTARY breakfast (ends at 10am I think). I wanted to kidnap their chef, because she makes a mean gallo pinto.

And of course, the customer service. The moment I arrived I felt like an honored guest, with their staff always asking if my friend and I needed anything, offering refreshments, and attending to our every need. The owners were amazing and bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. They are so personable and friendly, they really do treat their guests like family.

To end, you would me crazy to stay anywhere else if you're coming to Managua.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My friend and I stayed at el Gran Marquez for a night at the end of our stay in Nicaragua at the reccomodation of a friend. The hotel was clean, bright (great interior courtyard with pool, comfy chairs for lounging and reading) and conveniently located in Managua. Cesar and Patricia were more than accomodating - when we wanted to explore Roberto Huembes market, they not only called a cab for us, but came out, spoke to the cab driver, took down his license/registration info - all to ensure our journey was secure! As an added bonus, el Gran Marquez is one of a few registered hotels for PeaceCorps volunteers in Managua which made for some fascinating conversation as we lounged outside with a few of the volunteers who were staying at the hotel. Nice, friendly, clean, safe, affordable, air-conditioned (a must in Nicaragua in August!) - I would absolutley reccomend this place again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends