“Great service, quiet and very conveniently located”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Managua
Hotel el Gran Marquez
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Avignon
“Great service, quiet and very conveniently located”
Reviewed 24 June 2009

This is a wonderful hotel. Small and on a quiet street it is a great place to relax or to work. The hotel has internet throughout which is very convenient. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the owners and staff go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The hotel is located close to a large selection of very good restaurants. This was a great find and I will certainly return next time I go to Managua.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Wow...what a great boutique hotel. Having stayed in aboout 20 places in the last 2 years this has to simply be one of the very best. Not only good, clean accommodation in a pretty courtyard setting, but the owners simply cannot go out of their way to help you and recommend places to go, and to eat at. Pana y Vino the nearest restaurant recommended was a fantastic choice. Food was brilliant and service top class and a whole meal plus bottle of wine came to under $20!

I will certainly be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
san ramon, california
Reviewed 1 February 2009

It had been over 25 years since I last came to my home country of Nicaragua. I was faced with many unknowns when I planned my trip; and the only known fact was that I would be arriving in Managua on 01/01/2009!!

I had read many reviews for various hotels in Managua on TripAdvisor and so I decided to narrow my list to a few hotels (Hotel Los Robles, El Gran Marquez, and La Pyramide) and take a gamble upon my arrival. Upon my arrival I asked my taxi driver which hotel he had heard of or suggested (out of the 3 on my list) and informed me that he had heard really good things about El Gran Marquez and he did know that many travellers have requested to be taken there...so, I took that feedback and decided to stay at El Gran Marquez and I am VERY GLAD I did.

Now, I arrived on New Years Day and unbeknownst to me, almost EVERYTHING is closed...and that meant many family run hotels. I was nervous because I did not make a reservation (I was flying off the seat of my pants) and didn't know if there would be availability at the hotel or if it was even open...Luckily the hotel was open and with one room to spare.

The first thing I noticed about the hotel was how clean and well maintained it was. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with luscious greens and colorful plants. The building itself is a vibrant color with a refreshing courtyard straddled by breezeways on either side. The hallways are furnished with "mimbre" furniture for your relaxation pleasure. There is also a small pool for lounging or cooling off. The dining room faces the pool/garden and is an open space, which makes their COMPLIMENTARY breakfast very enjoyable.

The rooms are basic and simply decorated and come with air conditioning. The bathroom I stayed in was nicely sized with a very comfortable shower. There is daily maid service and the rooms, along with the common areas are kept extremely clean.

The staff, where do I even begin?? The owners (Cesar and Patricia) were marvelous individuals with one goal in mind: keeping their guests happy and comfortable. I appreciated their friendliness and willingness in assisting me with travel excursions/suggestions for the remainder of my trip. Their "customer relations" person was always ensuring my comfortability whenever she saw me lounging in the hotel: asking me if I wanted a beverage (BTW: they keep a fully stocked and very well CHILLED beers and sodas) or a snack.

The location of the hotel is perfect. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport and it's centrally located in Zona Hippo (sp?) close to a few dining establishments, coffee shop, bakeries and probably a 5-10 minute stroll into the main street/busy part of the city where you can find a supermarket and a plethora of other restaurants, either authentic or American or some other cultural variation. The hotel itself is nicely situated in a residential area in what appears to be an upper-class community (per Nicaraguan standards, I'm assuming).

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Nicaragua, especially coming to a hotel as accommodating and comfortable as El Gran Marquez after a day full of sightseeing and long excursions. I am already planning my next trip to Nicaragua and have booked my reservation with Patricia. To think that it took me 25 years to return and now I cannot wait to come back...it's a beautiful country with beautiful people!!

• Liked — Tranquil environment, friendly staff, reasonable prices
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank travelling_esquire
Tamarindo. Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Managua is not your usual destination when leaving Costa Rica for the obligatory 72 hours to renew your visa and we weren't sure what we'd be running into. It took a while to find the phone number for the Grand Marquez and we were thrilled when the promised taxi met us at the bus depot taking us directly to the hotel. The Grand Marquez is located in a very nice part of town with plenty of restaurants, clubs and shopping nearby which we were able to walk to with no sense of danger.
The owners run a neat and clean operation, were always on hand to help out and were just nice friendly people. my wife and I have already recommended it to our friends and to anyone else heading for that part of the world.

Stayed January 2009
Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We had a wonderful stay at Hotel el Gran Marquez. Patricia and Cesar were terrific hosts and made sure we were well taken care of. They provided tasty breakfasts and offered valuable information about touring Managua. The neighbourhood was nice with restaurants and shopping near by. The rooms were clean, the staff were very polite and friendly, the flowers were beautiful, and the pool was refreshing. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable place to stay in Managua.

• Liked — It was clean and comfortable and in a great neighbourhood. The staff were wonderful too!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2008

We stayed for three nights at the Hotel El Gran Marquez . We were in a group of fifteen weary and tired Canadian travellers. Together, with the owners Patricia and Cesar, we had a wonderful time and felt like family. The rooms were clean and air conditioned. The beds were firm and comfy, ergonimic mattresses. Two of our group left for different accomodations, more "up-scale" is what they were looking for. All the rest of us stayed and had a great time.

• Liked — Cleanliness and the owners
  • Disliked — water pressure fluctuates
  • Stayed December 2008
Seattle
Reviewed 13 October 2008

During 2008, I spent four and one-half months at El Gran Marquez in Managua, Nicaragua. It was a great small hotel located on a good, quiet residential street within two to four blocks of most the restaurants and about six block from modern shopping center and movie theater complex. The hotel owners, Cesar and Patricia, are very helpful, making the hotel guests feel at home and giving this new, clean, well maintained boutique hotel the atmosphere of a charming bed and breakfast hotel. I highly recommend a stay in this hotel. - Lawrence Odle - October 12, 2008

• Liked — Friendly, clean, economical, close to main restaurants, shopping and movies
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business