“Thank You El Gran Marquez!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Managua
Hotel el Gran Marquez
Ranked #43 of 50 Hotels in Managua
CA
“Thank You El Gran Marquez!”
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Thank you El Gran Marquez for contributing to my amazing experience in Nicaragua.

This boutique hotel is so charming and beautiful, with its bright pink walls, lush green courtyard, and blue pristine swimming pool (I loved the colors!) And it's pretty easy to get lazy, with the dining area in the open space and cozy seating areas throughout the perimeter. I came to explore and travel different Nicaraguan places, but on sunny days, it was very hard to tear away from lounging around here!

One thing I noticed very quickly was how clean the hotel was! I think the staff cleans every hour because the hotel and rooms are immaculate. The rooms themselves are very comfortable, with TV, A/C and warm water in the shower (hard to find in Nicaragua). In the lobby they also have Internet access, which was great b/c I check my emails every day. The location is also very convenient, close to the airport and in Zona Hippa, with a bunch of eating spots close by. Yet one of the best features of this hotel might be their COMPLIMENTARY breakfast (ends at 10am I think). I wanted to kidnap their chef, because she makes a mean gallo pinto.

And of course, the customer service. The moment I arrived I felt like an honored guest, with their staff always asking if my friend and I needed anything, offering refreshments, and attending to our every need. The owners were amazing and bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. They are so personable and friendly, they really do treat their guests like family.

To end, you would me crazy to stay anywhere else if you're coming to Managua.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

San Francisco
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My friend and I stayed at el Gran Marquez for a night at the end of our stay in Nicaragua at the reccomodation of a friend. The hotel was clean, bright (great interior courtyard with pool, comfy chairs for lounging and reading) and conveniently located in Managua. Cesar and Patricia were more than accomodating - when we wanted to explore Roberto Huembes market, they not only called a cab for us, but came out, spoke to the cab driver, took down his license/registration info - all to ensure our journey was secure! As an added bonus, el Gran Marquez is one of a few registered hotels for PeaceCorps volunteers in Managua which made for some fascinating conversation as we lounged outside with a few of the volunteers who were staying at the hotel. Nice, friendly, clean, safe, affordable, air-conditioned (a must in Nicaragua in August!) - I would absolutley reccomend this place again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2009

This was the 3rd time I've stayed at El Gran Marquez this year. The owners make me feel very special and attend to all my needs. I know that I am secure in their hotel and have no worries. Their staff is very considerate and attentive, offering refreshment when my friends are meeting with me in the lobby. This is the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Avignon
Reviewed 24 June 2009

This is a wonderful hotel. Small and on a quiet street it is a great place to relax or to work. The hotel has internet throughout which is very convenient. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the owners and staff go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The hotel is located close to a large selection of very good restaurants. This was a great find and I will certainly return next time I go to Managua.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Wow...what a great boutique hotel. Having stayed in aboout 20 places in the last 2 years this has to simply be one of the very best. Not only good, clean accommodation in a pretty courtyard setting, but the owners simply cannot go out of their way to help you and recommend places to go, and to eat at. Pana y Vino the nearest restaurant recommended was a fantastic choice. Food was brilliant and service top class and a whole meal plus bottle of wine came to under $20!

I will certainly be back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
san ramon, california
Reviewed 1 February 2009

It had been over 25 years since I last came to my home country of Nicaragua. I was faced with many unknowns when I planned my trip; and the only known fact was that I would be arriving in Managua on 01/01/2009!!

I had read many reviews for various hotels in Managua on TripAdvisor and so I decided to narrow my list to a few hotels (Hotel Los Robles, El Gran Marquez, and La Pyramide) and take a gamble upon my arrival. Upon my arrival I asked my taxi driver which hotel he had heard of or suggested (out of the 3 on my list) and informed me that he had heard really good things about El Gran Marquez and he did know that many travellers have requested to be taken there...so, I took that feedback and decided to stay at El Gran Marquez and I am VERY GLAD I did.

Now, I arrived on New Years Day and unbeknownst to me, almost EVERYTHING is closed...and that meant many family run hotels. I was nervous because I did not make a reservation (I was flying off the seat of my pants) and didn't know if there would be availability at the hotel or if it was even open...Luckily the hotel was open and with one room to spare.

The first thing I noticed about the hotel was how clean and well maintained it was. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with luscious greens and colorful plants. The building itself is a vibrant color with a refreshing courtyard straddled by breezeways on either side. The hallways are furnished with "mimbre" furniture for your relaxation pleasure. There is also a small pool for lounging or cooling off. The dining room faces the pool/garden and is an open space, which makes their COMPLIMENTARY breakfast very enjoyable.

The rooms are basic and simply decorated and come with air conditioning. The bathroom I stayed in was nicely sized with a very comfortable shower. There is daily maid service and the rooms, along with the common areas are kept extremely clean.

The staff, where do I even begin?? The owners (Cesar and Patricia) were marvelous individuals with one goal in mind: keeping their guests happy and comfortable. I appreciated their friendliness and willingness in assisting me with travel excursions/suggestions for the remainder of my trip. Their "customer relations" person was always ensuring my comfortability whenever she saw me lounging in the hotel: asking me if I wanted a beverage (BTW: they keep a fully stocked and very well CHILLED beers and sodas) or a snack.

The location of the hotel is perfect. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport and it's centrally located in Zona Hippo (sp?) close to a few dining establishments, coffee shop, bakeries and probably a 5-10 minute stroll into the main street/busy part of the city where you can find a supermarket and a plethora of other restaurants, either authentic or American or some other cultural variation. The hotel itself is nicely situated in a residential area in what appears to be an upper-class community (per Nicaraguan standards, I'm assuming).

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Nicaragua, especially coming to a hotel as accommodating and comfortable as El Gran Marquez after a day full of sightseeing and long excursions. I am already planning my next trip to Nicaragua and have booked my reservation with Patricia. To think that it took me 25 years to return and now I cannot wait to come back...it's a beautiful country with beautiful people!!

• Liked — Tranquil environment, friendly staff, reasonable prices
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank travelling_esquire
Tamarindo. Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Managua is not your usual destination when leaving Costa Rica for the obligatory 72 hours to renew your visa and we weren't sure what we'd be running into. It took a while to find the phone number for the Grand Marquez and we were thrilled when the promised taxi met us at the bus depot taking us directly to the hotel. The Grand Marquez is located in a very nice part of town with plenty of restaurants, clubs and shopping nearby which we were able to walk to with no sense of danger.
The owners run a neat and clean operation, were always on hand to help out and were just nice friendly people. my wife and I have already recommended it to our friends and to anyone else heading for that part of the world.

Stayed January 2009