“Decent Hotel but Reservation Issues”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Mozonte

Hotel Mozonte
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Managua
US
“Decent Hotel but Reservation Issues”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

The hotel itself was nice although the booking process was not ideal and we had reservation issues. For some reason I couldn't get the online booking request to work (even though I tried it from 2 different computers) so I just emailed my information. The problem is that they have numerous people checking the email and they aparently don't comunicate with one another about which emails have already been responded to so I would get 3 different responses to each email I sent. This did not leave me very confident about the shuttle arrangments or the hotel reservatiion... and sure enough our reservation was not correct. Although I requested a room for 4 people the confirmation does not indicate total number of people in each room. I even emailed to double check we were set for 4. & when we arrived we were not. With my limited Spanish we we were able to get things worked out and come to a lodging compromise but we ended up spending more than planned and it was a stressful way to start our trip. (not something I wanted to deal with at midnight after an 13 hour day of travel.) Plus we ended up with a room by the breakfast area and starting at 6 AM it was SUPER loud. The shuttle is overpriced but was safe and convenient (a large van with the hotel name splattered on the side so easy to id) and the hotel is in a decent part of town (about 20 min from airport) but check your confirmation. Also if you do not have anyone in your group who speaks Spanish check in will be quite difficult.

Room Tip: We had a room right next to the breakfast area and it was SUPER loud starting at 6 AM. It literally...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EagerAdventurer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

This place is nothing like it looks in the pictures. The rooms are dark and not very clean. OUr room had wires hanging from the ceiling where the light should have been. The pool was so dirty that you could not see the bottom. And while we did get a free pick up from the airport, we spent $5 for them to take us a few blocks to catch a bus and $15 for them to take us back the the airport. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tracy F
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

My transportation from the airport was on time, clean and with great AC. I arrived about 10pm and the hotel was a bit like a ghost town. There was some confusion about the reservation since my friend had reserved 2 rooms. We worked it all out in the end, but if you don't speak Spanish, you might have a bit of a tough time. I was given a room directly next to the front desk. It was decent but definitely not sound proof. The lack of lighting also makes it feel a bit institutional. The hotel is split into two sides - I had to cross the street to access the breakfast buffet, which was nice. Both sides have their own pools. At the end of the day, the staff was friendly and the computer was free so that was good. On the way back, however I stayed in another "real hotel" for about the same price and the experience was ten times better.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 689RachelG
Kincumber, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Mozonte has 2 nice pools which are very relaxing after a day of 38 degree heat. The hotel transport service is way overpriced - avoid it as there are plenty of vacant cabs on the streets. As an example, I paid 6 dollars to go to the nearby shops with them, only to find out on returning that the regular cab fare was 2 dollars! The rooms are basic and it's quite an old building. I chose Mozonte as it was rated one of the Best Value hotels in Managua. It may be worth that rating; it'd just hate to have to stay at any of the poor value hotels!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

The room that we were given was in no way close to what was portrayed when we booked. The initial room that we were given was the equivalent of a jail cell, and with no windows. When we asked to be moved, after much discussion between the staff, we were given a room that was acceptable, but that was only because it at least had a window (that looked out on a wall!) If you're going to book here, make sure you insist on a room that looks on the pool courtyard. And by the way, the complimentary airport shuttle was not complimentary, at least not for us. If you're just overnighting while waiting for flights, you'd be much further off to stay at one of the closer airport hotels.....
On the positive, we had supper at the restaurant, and the food was good, and reasonably priced.
But overall, have to give this a total thumbs down

Room Tip: Do not, by any means, let them put you in Room 1 or 2.......directly in the lobby area, which is dar...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dunk323
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I came to Managua for business and found this hotel online. The area around the pool is nice to rest and relax. The staff is so friendly and they really take good care of you. The first day I was in Managua I was walking around town and found the owners driving in their car. They stopped the car, asked me where I was going and said I was just walking around. They told me to get in the car and took me to visit some historic places and gave me a tour around the city for free. That was first class service!

Back in the hotel the food was great. I specially loved the churrasco.
I recommend everyone to try it.
The place has an atmosphere that makes you feel like at home.
I truly say this has been the best service I have ever received at a hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

This is a well maintained place that is attractive and clean.

Pro: Good bed. A/C does not blow directly on sleepers. Room is clean. Pool is nice. Centrally located in a nice area (lots of embassies). Quiet on weeknights.

So-So: Breakfast is a buffet. But they do not necessarily refresh it when something is gone. (Once the pancakes are eaten, there usually are no more brought out. When the fruit gets low, they just try to move the rest around to make it not look so bad.) Some days, things are missing--no juice and/or no cereal, and/or no jam and/or no butter. One day, there were none of any of those.

Con: Wifi doesn't work some evenings, although your computer/phone will show that it is connected. (My guess is that either they do not have enough bandwidth to handle the peak demand period, or (more likely) their plan has a limited amount of data that can be downloaded per day so that the service stops when they reach it.) Hot water is often just slightly warm. Can hear thumping music from somewhere on weekends. Some rooms are dungeons.

Room Tip: They have some rooms attached to the lobby area that have no outside light and would likely be noisy...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo