“Kind people, nice rooms, but the hotel is missing a few basics...”
Review of Barcelo Managua

Barcelo Managua
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Managua
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Kind people, nice rooms, but the hotel is missing a few basics...”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The good:
- Kind, welcoming staff. Christian at the front desk was extremely helpful
- Nice rooms with comfortable bed, flat screen TV, bathroom with tub, toiletries kit included toothbrush and toothpaste, razor and shaving cream, bath sponge, and comb, among other things (very useful, as I had forgotten a few essentials).
-good breakfast buffet, fruit, nuts, juices, omelets, cakes, coffee, cereals, etc.
-complimentary chocolate on first night
-nice view

The not-so-good:
-Room had a musty smell at first that went away once the AC was on
- There are things on the room service menu that were not available.
- There are signs telling you to help save water and energy by reusing towels. If you want your towels replaced, you put them in the tub. I hung up my towels in order to reuse them, but they were replaced anyway. I am glad that my room was cleaned, but I care about the environment.

The bad:
- the internet is 128kbps, which doesnt even let you have a decent skype chat. If you want anything higher than that, you have to pay $5 a day and up.
- Cleaning personnel literally walked into my room without knocking. I was very startled. Fortunately I was clothed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Sendy T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Guest!

Receive warm greeting on behalf Barceló Managua Hotel.

It is a pleasure to receive the feedback for all our clients with the purpose to become a better team every day.

We apologize with you for the inconvenienced that you had during your stay . We would like to let you know we are taking the necessary steps to be better; according to the services that you mentioned.

We will be please to count with your visit again and offer you the quality of service that you deserve.

Sendy Tijerino J,
Guest Relations!.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Haven't had the pleasure of staying here yet but have been here several time for lunch. The buffet is loaded with options and everything is wonderful. The dessert options are just as plentiful as the salad and main course. I'm sure the stay is as great as the lunch options.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Sendy T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear Customer,

Sincerely regards from me and the entire staff of Hotel Barcelo Managua.

Let me thank you for your positive comment about our service and take the opportunity to invite you to stay at our hotel and continue enjoying the quality of our services.

I hope to have the honor to forward to your visit and deliver the best of care, to as you merit.

Sendy Tijerino J,
Guest Relations.
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We had booked 4 rooms with king size beds in all of them. When we arrived at the hotel with plenty of luggage, nobody bothered to help us with it so we had to carry it to our rooms by ourselves. When we saw the rooms, none of them had king size beds, and we had to wait additional two hours for the staff to fix this. They also charge extra for internet, even though you have spent hundreds of dollars on rooms. Also the service was horrible. The guy at the reception, kept ignoring us all the time, even though there were no customers. Nothing to do, except staying at the bar or the pool (which looked nothing like the picture were we booked it). One lousy casino next to it with a stinking odor and lots of slot machines. The buffet here was excellent though I wish we had chosen a different place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Sendy T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear Customer,

On behalf of Hotel Barcelo Managua and myself, I apologize for the bad times happened when your Checking In and in some ways it does not meet your expectations. Our goal is to anticipate their needs, for this reason we want to inform you that we will be working on the points mentioned in your comment.

Your comment It is valuable to our hotel and we are taking into account, as the reception is the first impression of what our service it is and if there are areas to improve, we will do it!

We hope to be your host on your next visit.

Thank you again!

Sendy Tijerino j.
Guest Relations.
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I stayed for four nights. Registration and check out were easy. It is a business hotel, so language issues for us. The rooms were as you would say 'well appointed'. Definitely get a room that overlooks the pool area. The rooms were equipped with all esentials, things that you would leave and would have to call for, small tube of paste and brush, shaver and a bit of cream. That was a nice touch. Now the breakfast which is included is quite good, plenty of choices, they make a really good omlet. Now to the evening meal. One of my friends had the buffet and did not enjoy that. I ventured to the Japaneese restaurant which was highly promoted. The meal was average and the pice way too high. I thought I would end the night with a Cosmopolitan and waited a bit for the service, might I add that throughout I expereinced issues with service not always but enough for it to be annoying. Well I went to the bar, thinking I will just take the drink to my room, I tasted it asked the bar tender what it was he confirmed it was a cosmopolitan, I asked what was in it 'vermouth', now who does that. I left the drink adn went to my room. The exercise room is small. Get there early there are only two treadmills.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Sendy T, Guest Relations Manager at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear guest.

Yours sincerely on behalf of all the Hotel Barcelo Managua and myself.

I appreciate the good points you mentioned in your comments, as well as the negatives.

This allows us to improve the quality of service in those areas in which the guests did not feel comfortable, take the opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay.

We will be waiting again.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, the staff were friendly, except for the manager white dude with spanish accent (Spain),did not greed guests and he was rude with staff. The cabañas were roomy and clean, but need an upgrade (TV &bed were old). The swimming pool area, bar, and snacks bar were nice,it was all inclusive all you can eat and drink as long it was national product. Entertainment was good, love the folklore dance and casino, the disco was small and too loud.
FOOD was horrible, breakfast was typical nicaraguan(gallo pinto, platains and eggs), Lunch & dinner were the same dishes, except for the dish of the day. Best things were the beach and the tropical trees loved them found lot of serenity.
For $70.00 a night I got my money's worth but they could improve in many areas, hopefully for my next visit things would had improved.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Barcelo M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 22 September 2016
Dear Guest,
Received warm greeting from Barceló Managua Staff & myself.

We apologize for all the inconvenieces that you have during your stay. We are making a lof of training in our staff for give to all the guest a best stay.

We hope to have the opportunity of a new visit from you.

Best Regards.
Costumer Services
Hotel Barceló Managua

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks in December 2012 and 2 weeks in March 2013 so I feel qualified to comment on the standard of service I encountered. First the good points: The staff in the hotel are mostly friendly and in general they deal with you in a pleasant manner. The hotel itself is modern with good facilities, a nice pool, good gym, and the food is quite good especially in the Kyoto restaurant. The location of the hotel is great it is a little outside the city centre in an affluent area with a great view over Managua. Unfortunately I also had some negative experiences, quite a few and not dealt with in a very professional manner. I encountered the following problems: On checking out in December I discovered a number of items added to my mini-bar bill that I had not consumed including champagne, the fact that staff are adding items to your bill does not inspire confidence. In February although my company was covering all costs and had already paid for my stay, my credit card was blocked by my bank because the front desk staff tried to put through multiple transactions on my card. I complained to the front desk and was told that somebody from the accounts department would contact me by telephone to explain what had happened. I never received a call and nobody from the hotel contacted me regarding this problem. I was very disappointed to be treated this way and checked out shortly after and moved to a very nice hotel nearby that costs less than half the price. In summary if your stay is short this is a good option but be careful of what charges they try to hit you with!

Room Tip: Avoid poolside rooms due noise on Wed and Sat until 2am and no they won't lower the music for y...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Eddiebig
Sendy T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest:

Receive a warm greeting from the staff of the Hotel Barceló Managua.

Thank you for taking time to answer the survey on Trip Advisor, it is great opportunities to get the feed backs from our guests and take action to improve all our services.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you endured during your stay.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve again in the near future to improve the discomfort suffered on your last stay.

Thanks again and I hope we can serve you soon at the Barceló Managua.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Three days of cooling and relaxing whilst the temperatures around were 35-38 celsius, fantastic
service, very good cuisine, even shushi restaurant, really clean pool. It is placed on a hill in a "wealthy area" with average view to the city dew to architectural position of the building.

Room Tip: The east side has view to the pool and early in the morning you may see up to Managua lake.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yannis1956
Dear guest!

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. For our team is a pleasure to serve you and make your visit a pleasant and positive experience.

We hope to see in your next visit.

Best regards from Managua!

Guest Relations!