“Nice hotel, but horrible service”
Review of Barcelo Managua

Barcelo Managua
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Stavanger, Norway
“Nice hotel, but horrible service”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Went with some friends. The staff only cared to help people in elegant suits. It's like coming to a hotel with a dresscode. A nice suit is a symbol of great wealth in this country, and others are paid less attention to. It took us a while to get our room which was not as we ordered it, and the guy behind the counter was ignoring us all the time. Also the pool was not like the picture we had seen - It was in the shade of the sun and also much smaller. That being said, the meals here were delicious.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joaastr
Barcelo M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 21 September 2016
Good Afternoon,

Received warms greeting from Barceló Managua.

First at all, we apologieze for all the inconveniences during your stay. we have conducted extensive training to our staff, to improve our costumer service.

We hope, you can provide us the opportunity for a new visit and improve your experience.

Best Regards.
Costumer Services
Hotel Barceló Managua

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have been staying at this hotel on various trips to Managua over the past 4 years. When I began staying there, it was extremely new. It has the best pool in the city and is in an a great location. The breakfast buffet is one of the best around. While I really like this hotel, the service quality has deteriorated. Recently I brought my wife and 2 of our children here. For the first 3 nights our air conditioning wasn't working properly and the room temp did get below 77. When I brought this to the attention of the front desk, they sent someone up to change the batteries in the thermostat, even though the batteries were working. They did this the 2nd time as well, even though I specifically asked them to look at the REAL problem. The 3rd time I asked to speak with the general manager, but they said it was the weekend and management was away. Finally I spoke to management on Monday morning and the they sent a tech who fixed he problem....we had 2 wonderful nights of sleep after that. They never apologized, followed up to see if it was working or how we were doing. This is not Marriott or Hilton-like customer service. You sort of feel like a number at this hotel, even if like me you are a frequent guest. So, while the rooms and pool and facilities are great, don't expect top notch service.Also, the last 2 times I have stayed here I have asked about their frequent guest program, which they had asked me to sign up for. They merely say "you'll get an email" and then an email never arrives. Like I said, they've lost sight of who their good customers are. I will probably be staying at the Hilton in Managua in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Barcelo M, Gerente at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 29 September 2014
Dear acodon

Thank you for spending your time to give us a straight and detailed feedback.

The satisfaction of our guests has highest priority. We express regret for the internet access which did not work properly during your stay.

We make an effort to offer our guests an excellent service at the Barceló Managua Hotel.It is important to us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable at our hotel. That requires a helpful, friendly and very obliging service at any time.

We really hope you can visit us again,

Yours sincerely
Revenue Manager
Managua, Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Great hotel I had an excellent experience there. Loved the pool. I spent a weekend there and it really helped me to relax and forger the stress of the work week i had. Highly Recommended! i loved the room service as well as the great environment in the entire hotel. I can't wait to go there one more time!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Good Afternoon.

Receive a fraternal greeting from us.

We are pleased to know that your whole stay was a success, that encourages us to keep working every day with more passion.

We hope your visit soon.

Best Regards.
Costumer Services.
Hotel Barceló Managua
Lindon, Utah
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel because it was close to area we wanted to be. Breakfast is included and it was a really good breakfast. They had a guy making omelets and then other buffet style food with a Nicaraguan twist. The hotel staff was friendly and we didn't have any problems.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Barcelo M, Gerente at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Dear FaithR4314

Thank you for the great review of our breakfast! We work really to hard to serve the best and complete food in a great environment, and I'm glad to see those efforts pay off on our visit.

Hope to have you back soon,

Katherine González
Revenue Manager
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is the third hotel I have stayed in Managua, and my favorite of the three. The hotel is relatively new and the pool is great, good for laps in the morning. We rented a small meeting room for a week-long meeting. Service was exceptional. Lourdes, the attendant assigned to our meeting room, went above and beyond to provide great service without being intrusive. We always had water, tea and coffee and Lourdes was ready to accommodate all our requests. We were also provided our food nicely packed for a day-trip to Granada. The food in the main restaurant was excellent and the buffet provided a wide variety of options. We also enjoyed the bar by the pool. I had a two-hour massage and this was probably one of the best and cheapest therapeutic massages I have ever had. The massage therapist I got (the older of the two) is a physical therapist who knows how to do a proper deep-tissue technique and trigger points. Internet (the free version) was not great, but decent.
The reason I don’t give this hotel 5 stars is because I did have some issues. The room I was given smelled bad (musty), though it got better with the AC. I had no shampoo in my dispenser and noticed this in the middle of a shower (the shampoo dispenser in my bathroom was somehow leaking; it was replaced once we figured out what was happening). We were not able to print in the business center. I asked for tea (instead of coffee) at breakfast and was told I would be charged! (this is the first hotel ever to charge for tea at breakfast, or maybe the waiter had it wrong, in any case, I didn’t insist as I often carry tea in my backpack and I was given hot water). Finally, the reception staff could be trained to be friendlier and make check-in/check-out more efficient.
In summary, a good hotel with several pluses and a few minuses.

Room Tip: Pool views are nice
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Thiscarolina
Sendy T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Receive a warm greeting from the staff of the Hotel Barceló Managua.

Thank you for taking time to answer the survey on Trip Advisor, it is great opportunities to get the feed backs from our guests and take action to improve all our services.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you endured during your stay.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve again in the near future to improve the discomfort suffered on your last stay.

Thanks again and I hope we can serve you soon at the Barceló Managua.

Guest Relations.
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I just stayed here two nights while on business in Managua. The check in process was a little difficult and the staff did not speak very good English. At check out they refused to allow the company hosting me to pickup my room which was embarrassing for them and costly for me.
Otherwise the property and staff were pleasant enough and pool area by the was particularly nice for a beer and a burger.
Another member of our party had a bad leak in his room and the staff did a nice job moving him to another room but some of the mechanicals in the facility are a little sketchy.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Sendy T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We offer an apologize for the inconvenient that you had.
We would like to let you know that we are working in the improvement of our human resources by giving them training.

Thanks for the time and write this comment.

It will be a pleasure to serve you again .

Best regards
Barceló Managua
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We staying one night on our way back. Hotel might have few good features, bad horrible customer service. They don't even smile, long faces and rude ladies at the front desk. Room smelled and found pubic hair on the toilet seat. Sink was clogged up. Went to the Bar, was empty and took them 10 minutes to acknowledge that I was there; seems they were too busy talking among themselves. Went back to desk to complaint and I was told they will investigate, no apologies - mind you it came from the supervisor.

Room Tip: Find other hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LiveLoveLaugh0412
Sendy T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Managua, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear guest.

On behalf of the hotel, I apologize for everything that happened during your stay, it's a shame that we could not resolve the situation while staying with us.

At the same time, we appreciate that you have expressed your discomfort, as these allows us to improve the quality of service we currently offer our customers.

We hope you give us the great opportunity to have him again as our guest and give you the most attention.

Best regards.