“OK food, service and value”

El Garabato Cafe y Antojitos
Ranked #218 of 358 Restaurants in Managua
Price range: US$1 - US$13
Cuisines: Central American
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Two of us ate dinner here in the middle of the week. The Antojito Variado was OK but not worthy of the price. The Yuca Frita was very good. The service and atmosphere was good. The restaurant options seem limited in the Zona Rosa of Managua.

1  Thank Champlaintraveler
There are newer reviews for El Garabato Cafe y Antojitos

Reviewed 10 July 2013

My husband and I used to love El Garabato. It has a nice atmosphere, the service was good, and they served delicious local food. But lately, we were sad to notice it was all changing...

The service is often bad, and the food is not as good as it used to be. The other thing we noticed was that they were frequently changing their staff, except for one waiter. It's not a good sign when employees keep changing.

Last week we went there and again we had a bad service, for ex. ordering something and 20 min. later a waitress coming to tell us they didn't have the dish we ordered. Really, 20 min later??? Then we asked for a drink, and she just forgot... We ate half of what finally came, as it was not tasty, then asked for our bill. It was almost thrown on our table. Once more we didn't enjoy our time there, and it seemed as if we were disturbing them. So I hope they improve their service and cooking for those who still go there.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

This was our 3rd time at this restaurant. The first two visits were great! The reason we chose to eat here while in Managua on Valentine's Day 2013.

The restaurant was not busy when we first arrived. Our waiter didn't speak English so ordering wasn't easy, but he clearly knew what we ordered. About 20 minutes later, a waitress came over to our table who spoke English so she could clarify what we ordered. We thought she put our order in after that. A few minutes later about 30 kids came in who were in a group. Our waitress disappeared to the courtyard in back where the large group was seated. About 45 minutes when by before my husband's food arrived (the meat cold) and after trying to track our waitress down several times, someone finally brought my food which was hot, but about 45 minutes after my husband got his food!

I was seated so I could see the kitchen and the process of food coming out to be served and plates going back to the dishwasher. The kitchen and wait staff seemed pretty frazzled. Plates of food sat on the counter waiting for the waiters to deliver, sometimes for a very long time. Dirty plates of food sat right next to them on a counter in front of a small window to be picked up by the dishwasher who was obviously over her head in dishes.

We watched as guests in the restaurant were fed one person at a time at each table. One appetizer at a time...then one entree at a time. I'm not sure if anyone ever got their food at the same time at any one table, except for 2 men that obviously were important because they were greeted quickly, received drinks quickly and ordered and got their food at the same time long before I got my food. Another couple had come and gone before the men at that table while we were there.

Also while we were waiting for my food, our waitress closed the entrance to the restaurant apparently because the kitchen couldn't keep up. There was a woman that was working in the kitchen that stormed out through the entrance and tossed the chain down. I thought she might be going to the store to get more food...my husband thought she quit! We never did see her return and we were there at least another hour.

Any other time we would have ordered dessert, but we weren't given a chance. We seemed to be there for hours...a most unpleasant experience, especially on Valentine's Day.

1  Thank BMerrill
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Good to hear Bohemian music and hand around with friends in a casual setting including a nice large patio. Food is pretty standard.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

i was lucky enough to visit el garabato on a rare evening. tango night. apparently, there is a certain day (either wednesday or thursday) during the month where you can take free tango lessons under the tutelage of an asian tango dancer. strange? of course. but he is very talented. as for the food, if you want a true taste of nicaragua without having to worry about cleanliness, el garabato is your place. i'm actually nica, so things like this do not worry me as much ;) i had their repochetas matagalpinas, and they were awesome. prices are very reasonable.

1  Thank ElCheleNica