“Great little hotel in Managua” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Boutique Villa Maya

Hotel Boutique Villa Maya
Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Berea, Ohio
“Great little hotel in Managua”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

This is a great place to overnight in Managua in your way to other locations in Nicaragua. I guess that it would have been a great place to stay for a while. We traveled with our 7 year old daughter. The staff is really nice and accomodating. The service is really professional. Breakfast is included and it is great. The landscaping is beautiful and the environment is very relaxing. We speak Spanish but there was no problem to comunicate in English. It is in a quite residential neighborhood where you can not walk to restaurants or stores. But the staff are very helpfull arrenging your transportations needs.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

The place was very nice, calm but the service i didnt like at all. I stayed there for 3 nights only. The guy in reception answering the phone had a bad attitudde and very strict like if I was staying there for free, well that's I how I felt. My 4 cousins in nic went to visit me and they were not allowed to enter the room I was paying for. What kind of hotel is that??? Plus, there's nothing I mean nothing near there. What I know is that I will never stay there again when I return to nicaragua.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

As soon as we arrived we were made to feel like family or close friends of the family. The staff is cordial and gracious. The reception staff and owners speak fine English. The "home" is beautiful and comfortable, decorated with locally made furniture and Guatemalan artifacts and textiles. It's conveniently located to downtown Managua, Masaya and Granada. The neighborhood is lovely, safe and quiet. Only the doves and wild parakeets make noise. Hopefully, by the time you arrive you'll find hammocks (that have been promised) to grace the garden/pool area. We chose the hotel without recommendation and were more than pleased. We trust that you'll be comfortable and also enjoy Doña Rosario's cooking as much as we did. December and January are the best months to visit Nicaragua, by the way. We may see you there, because we certainly plan to return!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VillaMaya, Propietario at Hotel Boutique Villa Maya, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear guests:

I take this opportunity to thank you for allowing us to serve you. Thanks to your reviews, we were awarded a Certificate of Excellence 2012 from Trip Advisor. This award commits us to pursue further in our efforts to make a difference in the type of hotel services provided by the tourism industry in Nicaragua.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

Hotel Boutique Villa Maya is a charming small hotel in the Las Colinas neighborhood district of Managua. With warm and personalized service, this property had the feel of home and tranquility in a quiet comfortable area of the capital. At the end of each day, I was greeted warmly and offered beverage, food and other comforts which allowed for a more personalized experience. The breakfasts each day were delicious and expertly served on the terrace by the capable cook, Rosario. Both of the two receptionists/hostesses who alternated shifts were accommodating, interesting to speak with to learn local custom and history and always willing to assist in every possible way. Overall, this was a fantastic alternative to staying in an antiseptic large American-style hotel chain. The only drawback for me was that I was at a disadvantage without my own transportation - at Hotel Boutique Villa Maya, you're obliged to use taxis or have alternate transportation whenever you wish to explore Managua or Nicaragua's many charms. I definitely plan to return!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Boone, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2010

My mother and I stayed at Hotel Villa Maya while I did research in the National Archives. From the moment we arrived from the airport, the Hotel's staff were welcoming and friendly. They attended to every question that we had and made us feel very safe and comfortable there. This was our first trip to Nicaragua and we were nervous about being two women and traveling alone. Anna, Maria and Donald answered all of our questions and helped us coordinate local transport to and from the archives or wherever else we needed to go. Anna and Maria particularly were accommodating and professional. They put us at ease and expressed a genuine interest in our well-being. They managed to put up with all of our pesky questions with a smile and a ready answer! They will also help you if your Spanish is weak! I have never been to a hotel more beautiful or traveler-friendly. The walled garden is an oasis, where flowers and birds abound and was a real pleasure to come back to everyday. We stayed for ten days and never once tired of looking at the beautiful scenery. The room itself was large, and had beautiful authentic Guatemalan textiles decorating the walls and beds. The hotel is decorated in local textiles and art, and you will really get a feel for the culture of Nicaragua here. The cook, Rosario, made exquisite food and even taught us to make tortillas! She greeted us every morning at breakfast with a beautiful smile and a delicious breakfast! Rosario made everything from scratch and fixed us wonderful breakfasts and dinners. It was a real pleasure to greet the employees everyday. There is no large, international hotel feel, this place has an intimate bed and breakfast touch and was absolutely wonderful. I will stay at this hotel on any subsequent trips to Managua and would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants to support the local economy and avoid huge over-priced hotels. The Hotel Villa Maya had everything the big hotels had, and much more! Please give this beautiful hotel and its wonderful, friendly employees a chance!

San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

After having stayed here previously, I felt I was returning home when I walked through the doors of this hotel. Rosario was still there and still makes the best tortillas... that I continue to crave. Even though I had been there before I was surprised by the feel this place has - I forget I'm in the middle of Managua. It's more like a tropical retreat. Can't wait to go back.

1 Thank Mapachula

Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

The expression doesn't quite capture my feeling but it is the best i have had in hotels in this country. Having visited for over 9 years i have finally found the one place that is truly comfortable, and has superb service. To me it is like staying at the Four Seasons but more intimate.. The artwork, decor and furniture are all tastefully chosen and will please the most discriminating guest. The gardens are impeccably maintained. The cook provides meals to order that are better than the best restaurants in town and at lesser cost. Cleanliness in the kitchen is the highest standard as are the ingredients used. I cannot say enough about the staff who are biligual and will meet every need with a smile. After a 3 month absence i was greeted by name and big honest smiles by all and truly felt welcome. As i told them, it is better than being home!