“disgraceful”

Hotel Villa Angelo
Kilkenny, Ireland
“disgraceful”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

To explain how filthy this hotel was I have to include photos. The accommodation was disgusting. I had intended a long stay but had to leave after one night.

Room Tip: When I asked for an alternative room I was told the rest were the same.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank ismiseseamus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The pictures are a bit misleading. The entryway is nice and comfy but the rooms seemed a little dirty. Could really use a coat of paint. They do have A/C and TV which helps pass the time waiting for a flight and they arranged a taxi to the airport for me for $15. Walking distance to a mall with fast food and a movie theatre (again I was just there to catch a flight.) We did have a little trouble with our reservation. We got a confirmation email that the card had been charged when it apparently had not and so we ended up having to pay at the desk so double check to make sure you're not paying twice.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank hutchins_carrie
Antigua, Guatemala
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I have been here the past few nights and while it is nothing special, it works just great for the price. I might add that 90% of the people that stay here are Nico's and the place is full most of the time. Can't go wrong for the price!

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank gfriedrich
Toronto
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed here for a total of 4 nights with a large group. The hotel was clean, service was helpful and the location was very convenient for us. I thought the value was excellent.

• Stayed January 2011
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2010

We (a group of three women, age 24-39, two Nicaraguans and one U.S.ian) checked in at about 5 p.m. on Monday 12/20, having made a previous reservation by e-mail. By e-mail, staff had been very responsive and helpful. We reserved the "apartment" (room 11), suitable for 3-4 people, at a cost of US$51.00 including tax and breakfast.

The hotel is located in the "Bolonia" neighborhood of Managua, quite central and safe.

There were a few minor hiccups on check-in--for some reason there was a different name associated with the reservation, and the remote for the A/C was not functioning well due to low batteries, but otherwise OK.

The room itself was acceptable, reasonably clean and spacious if not particularly elegant. The shower was great--good water pressure and lovely warm temperature. Beds so-so and too much light coming in from the hallway at night--they should look for some thicker/larger curtains.

So my initial rating would have been probably between 3-4 points.

However, that rating plummeted starting the next morning, for the following reasons in order of importance from minor to major:

1) The patio seating area outside our apartment was occupied by other guests at the breakfast hour. Since all the other rooms had their own table and chairs immediately outside, as well as a breakfast room, this was quite annoying, and it seems to me that the hotel should have indicated that this area was reserved for those in the apartment. We ended up in an uncomfortably small and unscenic seating area adjacent to the parking lot.

2) The breakfast was pitiful. I realize that one can't expect a full buffet when breakfast is included in the room price, but the "continental" consists of two tiny pieces of white bread toast, one pat of butter and one tiny cup of jelly. Coffee (with artificial creamer) is the _only_ beverage offered. We ended up paying for a juice for my partner, who does not drink coffee. The "tipico" (Nicaraguan-style) breakfast slightly more reasonable: gallo pinto (rice and beans), one egg, fried cheese and one piece of maduro (sweet plantain). But about as small a portion as they could get away with.

3) Upon check-out, while I was otherwise occupied, one of the employees (Nicaraguan) approached my two traveling companions (also Nicaraguan) and accused them--directly--of having either broken or stolen an air freshener that she said had been in the bathroom. She did not _ask_ if something might have happened to the item, but went straight to the presumption they were at fault. In fact, there was no air freshening device in the room or the bathroom when we arrived, so this must have been an oversight on the part of the person who handling the cleaning or the check-in. When my companions protested, she offered no apology, but said "I'm just doing my job." She then went to speak to another woman who I took to be the owner (older, and non-Nicaraguan), who came back and asked them again. They repeated that there had been no air freshener in the room during our stay and if something had happened to it, they would have notified the hotel staff.

The most offensive part of the incident was that the staff waited until I (the only foreigner in the group) was not present to "mention" the issue, and assumed guilt from the beginning. Since the reservation was in my name, and I paid the bill, the responsibility-- had there been any to assume--would have been mine. When my friends told me what had happened and I addressed the owner, she said "oh no, no problem, it was just a misunderstanding."

My partner and our friend, however, left feeling mistreated and humiliated.

I don't always agree with the idea that "the customer is always right" but the staff at this hotel demonstrated the complete opposite. Whatever that air freshener might have cost, is it really worth risking a negative review like this one? I have never before posted such a negative commentary--I am generally quite tolerant of minor glitches in service or amenities--but felt compelled to do so in this case.

I am a permanent resident of Nicaragua (San Juan del Sur), and am occasionally asked for references for moderately-priced hotels in Managua. You'd better believe I will never recommend Villa Angelo.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sarahlab

Travellers are raving about these Managua hotels