“I wouldn't stay there - Not a good value”
Review of Hotel Villa Angelo

Hotel Villa Angelo
Reviewed 17 January 2014

It is very close to Tica Bus station, which is the main reason we made a reservation there. It is cheap but for what it is, it is over priced. For $20 more, you have much better options in Managua. The place seemed clean but there was no hot water for shower. They had some sort of electrical device connected to the shower, which was very dangerous as you would get electrical shock by just touching the shower head! The reception guy seemed very nice, though he charged us more than what our booking.com resrvation rate was for! We did not have breakfast so I don't know how good the breakfast offered is. The location is very hard to find; our taxi driver had a hard time finding it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 April 2013

This little hotel is directly across the street from Canal 10 (this is the only way a taxi driver will be able to find it). The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, the shower warmish, and a decent breakfast included. A/C worked really well. This is just a simple, basic place, but the spot is great. A few minutes walk to Plaza Intur for shopping, Tica Bus, and King Quality bus are within 5 minutes if you are catching a bus to Costa Rica, or another destination. Mercado Oriental is 5-10 minutes away as well. The spot was great for some of the shopping and errands we needed to do in Managua. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room closer to the back of the hallway, it might cut down on some of the noise from the lo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Before I begin my review of the hotel, I would like to say something about the city of Managua. Don't bother; it's not worth the trouble. There's nothing to do and the hotels/restaurants are a little depressing. I also didn't feel safe as people were constantly telling my girlfriend and I to follow them somewhere or they were hanging around the ATMs. If I had to do this trip all over again, I would spend my final night in the last city I was in. So if you're in San Juan del Sur, just catch an early morning taxi to Managua. Obviously this doesn't work if you're traveling by bus as schedules are erratic. But if you can afford the cab from Granada/San Juan/etc, then do it!! Seriously, you'll thank me. Skip Managua completely!!! (I wish I could bold that last sentence, because it's the best Nicaragua travel advice you'll ever receive) Now onto my review of this hotel:

This place is freaking awful. Avoid it at all costs. All bad reviews for this hotel are completely accurate. Here are some of my experiences:

- "Mix up" with my reservation, so the front desk clerk thought I owed more money. I knew this was incorrect, told him so, he insisted, I said no, and then I just stared daggers directly into his eyes with a lot of awkward silence for about a minute, until he said sorry and gave me my room at the original price.

- My girlfriend and I were the ONLY guests in the hotel; not exactly conducive to meeting fellow travelers.

- The security guard and the night desk clerk watched TV in the lobby at deafening volumes until the wee hours of the morning.

- After we checked in and were sorely disappointed, I checked the reviews on TripAdvisor and read they ripped you off on breakfast. I went back outside to the clerk and had a detailed conversation about what would be served. I walked away feeling pleased that all would be well. In the morning, it was a different clerk. I requested breakfast. He produced a single piece of stale white bread and I had a choice of jam or butter. Jam OR butter?? How can I, a mere mortal, be responsible for such a major life decision? I told him about my agreed upon breakfast with the other clerk. He said no, that breakfast is served later for all guests. It seemed pointless to point out that there were no other guests but I'm sure he knew that already.

- Dirty cheap bathrooms with exposed electrical wiring.

- There were two pros to this hotel; air conditioning and free wi-fi.

AVOID!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Rooms were clean. Proprietors even let us swap for a room closer to the wifi server.. Hard to find this place though as there are many calle 10's in the area and maps don't agree.. In short it is right across and down a bit from Mansion Teodolinda which is on google maps.

The Ticabus is literally a 4 minute walk, so don't let the guys at the desk sell you a $4 cab.. Also, checking in there 45-60 minutes in advance is all that is needed..

Pleasant stay and inexpensive.

Room Tip: closer to the front is closer to the wifi..
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gremily
Reviewed 8 January 2012

even if the owner will give a comlimentary stay in this inn,i will politely refused it!the staff are uneducated.they do not know how to deal w/ guests.they keep asking me for payment everyday,as if i will run away.the room is dirty.NO HOT WATER AT ALL! there is no phone,any MIRROR etc.Then the power went off and there was no emergency power back up!Then,I requested the receptionist,who look like a gang member,if I can check out at 2pm,as I arrived around 10 pm.She told me that,if i dont return from the hotel by 1 pm,as I was out,she will remove all my luggage from the room.Iwas scared and return to tthe motel in a hurry.I stayed there for 2 nights,as one night was prepaid.I didnt even avail of their free wifi and eat their breakfast.btw,i was the only guest at that time.!

Room Tip: stay away from this property!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank PIO C
Reviewed 24 November 2011

To explain how filthy this hotel was I have to include photos. The accommodation was disgusting. I had intended a long stay but had to leave after one night.

Room Tip: When I asked for an alternative room I was told the rest were the same.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank ismiseseamus
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The pictures are a bit misleading. The entryway is nice and comfy but the rooms seemed a little dirty. Could really use a coat of paint. They do have A/C and TV which helps pass the time waiting for a flight and they arranged a taxi to the airport for me for $15. Walking distance to a mall with fast food and a movie theatre (again I was just there to catch a flight.) We did have a little trouble with our reservation. We got a confirmation email that the card had been charged when it apparently had not and so we ended up having to pay at the desk so double check to make sure you're not paying twice.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends