“Incredible Service and Stay”
Review of El Porton Verde

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Managua
El Porton Verde
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Mike, the US American owner starts out and continues to treat his guests like favored friends. He met us at the airport without a hassle and then kindly took us to a supermarket to put in some supplies into the apartment of his that we are renting. He didn't just drop us off, but went in with us to help orient us to the layout of the store.

The apartment was excellent with a bedroom, bath and separate kitchen. We could have walked his farm, but the pool was right outside our door. We became pool slugs for most of our time there. Mike arranged for his cook to prepare our dinners too for a fee so low, we couldn't have eaten out for that amount. Each night, it was abundant and delicious. Breakfast, which was included in the rental, was just as good.

For an additional fee, Mike toured us around Managua and let us loose to see the museum, but after collecting us, took us to a park we would not have discovered on our own. We tried some Nicaraguan treats we would not have known about otherwise.

We had a great time. The apartment is an excellent value. The views are beautiful.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, but the apartment is really comfortable for a couple to spread out.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BudaBaB
elportonverde, Owner at El Porton Verde, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Greetings BudaBaB: Thank you for your kind review of the Farmstay. I really, really, really appreciate it! I certainly enjoyed hosting you and hope that you choose to visiting Nicaragua and Farmstay El Porton Verde again real soon.
Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Mike's El Porton Verde is a great launching pad for your Nica adventure. Mike picked our family up from the airport and gave us our first day's tour of Masaya and San Juan del Oriente. After that we felt comfortable moving around using expressos. Each day we would come home from our amazing adventures to find a cool pool and cold drinks waiting for us. Juana will cook amazing breakfasts and the occasional dinner. Mike will help you get set with local currency, a SIM for your phone, and the best places to pick up art and cigars. Whatever the need Mike is the man.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AlaskaKings
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We arrived at the end of the day at Managua airport. As arranged for Mike meet us there. We rented a car and followed Mike back to his place. Flawless. Mike mentioned relatives had been over that day and generously made us dinner. We went to bed early and slept well. Breakfast was plentiful and an excellent start to the day. Mike accompanied and guided us Pricesmart where we stocked up for our stay at the beach. We dropped Mike where he wanted and headed off.

Staying at El Porton Verde was one of the smartest things we did on this trip. It made our arrival easy, stress-free and a pleasure.

Mike is an extremely helpful, very interesting guy with a wealth of experience far removed from that of many people. His place is somewhat rustic, very clean, safe and quiet. It is not the Dallas Marriott, but in our opinion, 100 times better. We will make staying at El Porton Verde an essential element of our arrival and departure from Managua on every future trip.

Please ask Mike for my contact information if you would like any further details regarding our experience and expectations about El Porton Verde. I'll be happy to talk or email with you.

Room Tip: Book the best available room, book every service you might want or need. You will get more than you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank johnpilot
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Well, my stay with you was great and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the "adventures" I had including torrential rains and double lightning strikes which I don´t blame you for (honest).

Joking apart, thank you for the personal attention during my stay and congratulations on a great place. Loved the walk through the plantation with my daughter seeing the wildlife. Waking up in the morning to that amazing dawn chorus of wildlife was worth the inconvenience of negotiating the access with Managuan taxi drivers!

To anybody reading this, don´t think twice if you want a laid back place to stay at with the most amazing location so close to Managua (about 15 mins by taxi to the centre). Just be careful if you come in the rainy season as it is difficult to get to when there´s a downpour.

Mike, for my return, any chance of that bolt on the mosquito screen so I can sleep with the door open? Thanks and take care!

Room Tip: Ask for the appartment in the middle, it´s the best!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank jcmadrid
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Although my stay was less than 12 hours it was far more pleasurable than being cooped up at the Holiday Inn in Managua. Mike told me up front that there wasn't much around and he could feed me dinner (for a very reasonable price), so I took him up on it. It probably should have been 2 meals, but it was so tasty I couldn't stop! I've traveled extensively through Central America, and its exactly what I expected. If you're looking for a climate controlled, bug free, boring, chain type hotel in the middle of a polluted city don't stay here. If you want to be welcomed into an owner's home, experience a working farm, have a great meal, and see what its REALLY like in Nicaragua then I would highly recommend Farmstay El Porton Verde. Sure there were some bugs flying around outside, but I'd expect nothing less in the middle of a jungle. Mike went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable, not to mention he served the coldest beer I've had in Nicaragua. My preference to the $100 / night hotels in Managua!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank HarpAggie2001
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Let me preface the following review by saying that I am a frequent user of TripAdvisor, and until our stay at Farmstay El Porton Verde I have always been exceedingly impressed with the accommodations recommended by its dedicated users. Also worth mentioning is that we often stay in hostels, remote locations, and the like; we aren’t snobby-snobs giving a place a bad review because it doesn't have air conditioning or heated towel racks.
In short: our stay at Farmstay El Porton Verde was a series of horrible, maddening events. I don't have any experience with actual psychological torture, but as the title of this review suggests, I imagine this is pretty close. But, hey, at least there is a nice view of the volcano from the porch.
The plan was for Mike (the owner) to pick us up at the airport, take us on a tour of the Masaya market and volcano, then drive us to the airport early the next morning. We reserved the 2 downstairs bunk rooms as well as the "apartment" about a month before our stay. We emailed him the day before our arrival to confirm the plans and ask how to find him when we arrived in Managua. He never emailed us back. This was the first sign of the shenanigans that were about to ensue. We are fairly certain Mike completely forgot we were coming. He was 2 hours late to pick us up, with no excuse. He mentioned his housekeeper was available to cook at the farm if we wanted: sweet! When we said we wanted to do that for dinner, he said it was her night off, so this wasn't an option: oh ok. Also, there aren’t any restaurants or supermarkets near the farm, but we could go with him to the opening of an Irish Pub in Managua that he was planning on attending.
When we arrived at the farm, Mike showed us the apartment and bunk room and seemed confused when we asked about the second bunk room we reserved. He said he guessed we could stay in that room too because he didn't have any other reservations: gee, thanks. He offered us a welcome beer, then forgot to come back.
When we left for our tour, we mentioned we would like to grab a quick lunch in Masaya (since we were already behind schedule), go to the market, then the volcano. He said he had a really great place for lunch instead and drove about 30 minutes from the farm to a lookout over Laguna Apoyo. He took us to a restaurant that he clearly had a prearrangement with where the prices were absurdly expensive and it took over 2 hours to eat. He then mentioned he had a friend who made wonderful pottery in the ceramics district, and if we went by his studio he could give us a short demonstration and buy some art pieces: cool! He wasn't home.
By now it is almost 4:30PM. This is the point that Mike mentions that Masaya Volcano park entrance closes at 5:00, so we would have about 10 minutes to shop in the market... We literally ran to buy the first hammocks we saw, then raced to the volcano: too late. In summary, we were gipped out of the only two things was stayed in Managua for and paid 3 times the going rate for lunch.
By this point, we are all, how-you-say, “OVER IT”, and have no intention of taking Mike up on his offer of Irish fare in Managua. So, we request to stop at a supermarket to buy ingredients to cook dinner in the apartment at the farm. While in the supermarket we asked Mike what sort of breakfast we could have in the morning at his bed and BREAKFAST, because our flight was early. He said he could offer yogurt and toast and coffee. He went and got 6 yogurts and a loaf of bread, put them in our basket, and we paid for them: ironic.
When we arrived back at the farm, Mike said the propane in the apartment kitchen was likely empty and he would have to refill it. We began to cook dinner, and realized there were no pots or pans or plates or cups or utensils. Mike seemed somewhat annoyed that we were keeping him from his Irish Pub.
I woke up the next morning to 10,000 winged bugs outside AND inside our room. They were caked on the floor, in my water glass, even in my suitcase and toiletries bag: icing on the cake. I crunched through a mat of bugs to the bathroom where the shower sprayed me with a generous 5 needle-streams of water: cherry on top. We then toasted the bread we bought, didn't drink coffee, got dropped off at the airport, and headed back to the US: see ya.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
12  Thank Dausina
elportonverde, Owner at El Porton Verde, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

This is Mike, the owner of Farmstay El Portón Verde. Wow, this is a very harsh review! My very first bad review… I am sorry you did not give me the opportunity to rectify any of these issues that you had during your visit with me at the farm. I will attempt here to address some of the issues that you had while here. You did happen to come during a time just after the rainy season begins, when there are those particular insects with which you had a problem. I did recognize my failure to arrive to pick you up on time, and I certainly apologized for that. As far as the tour and missing the volcano, I tried to be very clear in our time frames and the decisions to be made. If a guest prefers to spend their time haggling over hammock prices instead of going a little bit quicker on the purchasing process to ensure we get to the volcano on time, that is the client's prerogative. In fact, the usual route begins at the volcano and ends with having lunch. However, as you as a group indicated that you were very hungry we decided to go and get the food first. I feel that I tried to accommodate your needs. Sometimes things just do not work out as one would like them to, especially when traveling. Your party was the first one that I have hosted to have such a series of challenges. Thank you for your feedback, I will use this to learn from, and take actions to ensure that things within my control are handled perfectly going forward. Cheers, Mike

Reviewed 16 May 2013

March 2013, we spent 3 days at EPV and LOVED it! Mike is a great host, and tour guide!! Very knowledgeable! If you are lucky enough to go on a tour with him, do so!! He will make sure you miss nothing!

The food was delicious! The room(apartment) was spacious and very clean and comfortable! This was our 4th year in Nicaragua but our 1st time actually spending time on the mainland, instead of rushing off to LCI. We loved this place so much that upon our return from 2 weeks on LCI, we cancelled our stay by the airport to return here for 1 extra night!

It's the Best of Both worlds! You are minutes away from the hustle and bustle of Managua, but you would never know it once you step onto this beautiful and peaceful property!

We cannot wait to return next year!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sonya_Jeff
elportonverde, Owner at El Porton Verde, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind review. I hope you come visit me next time you are in Nicaragua! Also, thank you for the maple syrup. Yummy!