“Hotel in Decadency”

Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Miami, Florida
“Hotel in Decadency”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

As always in pictures looks beatiful but in real is ready to demolish.
Service is horrible poeple like useless.
Food horrible never drink wine is old food is old.
No one undesrtands even in spanish your needs.
Hot water for a shawer ???? if you are lucky.
The A/C one day work next dont, moving to another room ? a nightmare after 3 hours to a smoking smelly room, with a shared door.... uffff What else ???!!!!!!
HELLLPPPP take me out of here tonight ...
Floor in the ailes alla flooded by the rain through the liking roofs, take care is slippery !!!!
INternet a disaster comes in waves ....
at 5 AM wake up all travelers with whell bags all around the noisy ailes ... if not enough a tree falling fruits all night long.... sleeping well ? forget it....
My fiend alsmost intoxicated for a vinager red win with sediments ....

Room Tip: Look for a room out if this place .... stay at the airport on the floor is better ... food ate the a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank adrtrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Czech first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Really nice hotel. Big pool, nice staff, english at the lobby i would come back again. But theres is very bulgar people that are always screaming bad words and is really disturbing and a bad example for the kids

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Maynor L
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice on our 1 week visit to Nicaragua.

First night, we arrived at 10pm for check-in on a confirmed room on a Friday night. I was glad we had brought copies of the paid reservation as they seemed helpful to the checkin lady. She seemed not to speak English at some points and spoke well at other points. We received a lovely King room (although we had requested 2 doubles). We were very tired from the travel from US so all 3 of us shared the one bed - not a problem for us but maybe bad in some situations. The couch could be used in a pinch but it was short and foam covered wood so not the MOST comfortable. Our room was next to the disco so thumping music kept us up. Then the sound check for some event at the hotel was started at 7am! We slept very little that night.

There is plenty of hot water and water pressure IF you choose the right time to shower. I would not try at 5am since many flights leave early that morning and most people are getting ready at that time. My husband learned this. MY shower at 9pm was hot with plenty of pressure :) Two free bottles of water are provided in the room since you should not drink the tap water.

On the second night (the following Thursday) we arrived earlier, around 6pm and received our double room (no couch)-much smaller than the King room near the lobby and very quiet. We had dinner al fresco in the hotel dining area (open until 11pm) and against my better judgement, ordered the fettuccine Alfredo. It was not good but it was edible. Feral cats kept the boy busy while we ate...very cute. We were exhausted from a week of little sleep and slept much better in this room. The beds felt amazingly comfortable in contrast to our foam beds for the past week.

This hotel is WALKING distance from airport - just across the street. This was a blessing as we arrived late and the taxi hawkers and whispers of cheap taxi made it feel a little sketchy. We just walked across the street with our rolling bags and were in our room within 10 minutes. On the return leg, we had a departing flight at 7:45am and we were up and at the airport within minutes.

The free breakfast the next morning was EXCELLENT with omelets to-order, fresh pastries, coffee, juices, meats. You may have track the coffee guy down as they don't keep the pots of coffee out.

The pool was closed on the first visit and open on the second. It is a beautiful pool, surrounded by local plants, well-landscaped.

There are individual ac units for each room and you can get it quiet cold, if you wish.

Room Tip: Check-in earlier for a better room option. Rooms near the lobby are quieter yet smaller.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MountainGirl68
Puyallup, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

What an awesome hotel. This Best Western is located directly across the street from the Managua airport. It is a beautiful hotel with gorgeous flowers and plants and a lovely swimming pool. The food is fabulous. I stayed there is Jan/Feb this year when participating in a Mission Trip and I will be returning in October when I will be going on a solo mission trip with a guide/translator who helped on the first trip. I will always stay at the Hotel Las Mercedes when I visit Nicaragua.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

A team of three of us on a mission trip stayed at this hotel on New Year's Eve (December 31), 2012. The hotel was full due to the annual New Year's Eve dance, meal and fireworks but our room was quiet and comfortable. The fireworks were spectacular! Our room did not have hot water for our shower, but we didn't mind as we have experienced this in other South and Central America locations. We understand that some rooms do have hot water. The grounds and reception area of the hotel were clean, attractive and large enough to accommodate the crowd that evening. The staff was excellent and very attentive. The breakfast buffet in the morning was most ample and tasty!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

My son and I arrived in Managua to find out that my husband had missed his flight. I knew it was only across the street but it was in the evening and my Spanish is sub-par so I was a bit nervous. He called the Best Western and let them know the circumstance and since he didn't think I would get his text (it arrived unbeknownst to me while I was still in Miami taxing out- was glad I didn't turn off my phone) he called the hotel and asked them if it was possible to meet me.

Indeed there was a fellow standing right outside of customs with a sign and calling my name. I was quite relieved. He was very nice and he handed me the phone which had the Best Western manager on it telling me in Spanish that my husband missed his flight and would be here in the morning. (I understand more than I can speak.)

The rooms were clean, the service was very nice, they spoke English at the front desk, had an ok restaurant. They even sent out someone to pick up my husband in the morning which was above and beyond. I was very impressed. I would highly recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Nicaragua, Rivas, Nicaragua
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have stayed here so many times for the convenience of being next to the airport, and every time I am disappointed in the service and the price. By Managua standards you would pay $60 dollars for a room as nice.

My quejas. I have been sprayed by pesticides here twice. One time a man was spraying the hallways with a huge blower - and white smoke was coming into the rooms under the door. The smell was horrible. I was pregnant at the time and had to run out of the hotel through the diesel/permethrin mix of pesticide smoke. We left the hotel to stay somewhere else, but I was exposed and got your typical pesticide exposure sickness. The management told me that what they were spraying was safe and did not contain diesel but the men spraying told me diesel was in the mix. What was so infuriating was that they could have easily told the guests - we are going to spray so that we could have left during the actual spraying but they did not.

Other issues I have with the place is as follows.

While there is supposedly hot water in the room it is luke warm and often have to run the water for 15 minutes before getting it hot at all. The hotel keeps them set low so if your not getting hot water, call the front desk front desk and they send someone to adjust the setting outside the room and then the water heats up (quicker and hotter).

This time we arrived and their new policy is to not give drinking water in the rooms. That is fine but I asked if there is somewhere to get water they said they would send it as I have 2 small children that were thirsty. Three calls later - and we fell asleep waiting. Same with the hot water - when we called 3x noone came, but we were told someone was on the way. The only way to get service here is to go to the front desk and ask for it and wait to someone comes with you to fix the issue. I went to the front desk and asked for a glass of drinking water and they said there would not be drinking water until 6 am. (it was 5:50) and I would have to wait another 10 minutes. When I complained again, they pulled out 2 bottles of water from beyond the bell station and gave them to me for free, as a courtesy.

Same thing with the wireless internet - it did not work when we first arrived. Had to do to the front desk area to get a signal. I called twice for this and they did fix this after about 1 hour.

While the convenience and overall feel of this place is great - I feel the hotel takes advantage of that location to charge ridiculous prices for Managua ($120 with tax for 1 night) for subpar service. This is the Best Western - you think they could do better than that. I am always annoyed by the price of this hotel because there is ALWAYS an issue here. I have stayed numerous times and always leave saying, the convenience wasn't worth it. There are much better options in Managua.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tabatha P

Travellers are raving about these Managua hotels