“Comfortable and Caring”

Best Western Las Mercedes
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here in March and found the experience overall to be very comfortable and the staff very caring of me as a guest and customer. I was traveling with a group of college students, and was a little on the stressed side as we had a long day of traveling. We made it to the hotel and were checked in by a welcoming staff. The staff spoke English which was great considering I'm that guy who will travel to a foreign country and not know the language very well and need help. The only problem we encountered was trying to find our rooms. The complex is very large and lacks a lot of signage for where rooms are, we spent about 15 minutes trying to locate our rooms. Now, when we stayed there the night before our trip we were escorted to our rooms, which was worlds better. There is a nice restaurant in the complex that serves a good breakfast and dinner, which is really fortunate as there really is nothing to do next to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ben W
BEST WESTERN L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Las Mercedes, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest

We really appreciate your feedback we are working very hard for training our staff to provide you an excellent service as you deserve.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Las Mercedes

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I flew into Managua en route to the northern mountainous region. My flight arrival was late afternoon, thus it was prudent to spend the night in Managua and make the multi-hour trip the following day. This hotel was directly across the street from the airport and fit the bill as a place to eat, sleep and wait.

It is tidy and the rooms are comfortable and convenient. There is a pool and a bar, but it still feels like any other motor lodge in the city selected for its location rather than because of specific pizzaz. The service was solid, but the bar staff were not terribly interactive. Upgrades for frequent Best Western visitors are honored. For business travelers that are en route to an very early flight or those that would like a nights rest before a car/bus trip elsewhere, this is a sold choice.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade into the suite with points. It is more roomy and has a sitting area in addition to a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sholas007
BEST WESTERN L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Las Mercedes, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

We really apreciate yor feecback and time, we are working very hard day by day to provide you an execellent service as ybou deserve.

Lester prado

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the Best Western upon arrival in and the day prior to my departure from Nicaragua. Can't get more convenient than having the front door of the hotel directly across the road from the main entrance to the airport.
More expensive than any other place I stayed, but $108 total is not outrageous. Well worth it for the peace of mind that you won't miss your flight out, or be traveling the roads at night on arrival.
My arrival night room was so so, with a so-so room. Clean, but the bathroom nothing to celebrate. The room I had prior to leaving Nica in April was much nicer, very comfortable. The way the rooms are laid out, you're never next to the bed in the adjoining room, so it's quiet. At least it was the two nights I stayed. Theres a large pool with plenty of deck chairs is you care to swim.
The restaurant, which has both inside and large patio seating, served a nice breakfast that comes with the tab, with good coffee. Good service.
The front desk could be a bit more on their game- on arrival they searched for ten minutes before finding my reservation- but are courteous and make an effort.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest

We really apreciate your feedback and time, we are working every day to be better and provide you an excelent service as you deserve.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here once many years ago and had a negative experience, so I was a leery of returning, even though the property has changed hands. But my regular hotel was full, and I was going to the airport in the morning, so I bit the bullet, so to speak, and returned. It was a mistake.

Service at the front desk was poor. When I stopped in personally to make the reservation, I had to wait about ten minutes even though there was no one in front of me and there were service people there who were not helping other customers. I reserved a fancy suite in the hopes that it would be better than my previous experience.

Indeed, the suite was large and very nicely appointed and the AC was fantastic!

Then, we noticed unidentifiable black flecks of stuff started filtering out of the faucets in the bathroom and accumulating in the tub and sink. They weren't kidding when they put the "Do Not Drink the Tap Water" sign over the sink.

Then there was a thunderstorm and the power went out 20 times in a row. A generator kicked in each time, but only after a pause. This eventually de-programmed the cable TV and, of course, I had to re-set the alarm clock each time because I had a flight in the morning.

The restaurant was dim and dirty and unappealing, even just for breakfast.

All in all, it was a poor experience for a relatively expensive room.

As an aside, the bellhop and the concierge were quite attentive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
BEST WESTERN L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Las Mercedes, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2014

Thank you for your feedback, your opinion is very important to us, we strive every day to improve so we may serve you better as you deserve.

I am so sorry to hear that our staff was not friendly with you, we strive on being service oriented in a pleasant and efficient manner, we will coach them on the importance in what we consider essential and that is to be friendly on a consistent basis.

We believe that Relationship Building is the key to the success of our business, your comments are seen as an opportunity to do so.

I apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your last stay.

Please feel free to contact us directly at the hotel, we want you back with us. We want to make it right for you, your complete satisfaction is our main goal. for this reason please let me offer you a free night.

Thank you once again please contact us directly we want to assure you personalized customer service.

Best Regards

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have been traveling in the northern part of Nicaragua for a week and decided that my next stop would be Corn Islands. I booked a flight and hopped on an express bus from Matagalpa to Managua today so I could be on the 6:15 a.m. flight to Corn Islands tomorrow morning. Since the flight is so early, I decided I would book a room at the Best Western Las Mercedes. I am SO GLAD I chose this place. Here are the reasons why:

1. The express bus from Matagalpa to Managua drives right by the airport and dropped me off directly in front of this hotel. I didn't have to get a taxi or anything. Awesome! I just grabbed my backpack and headed inside.

2. My room is really nice and the bathrooms are very clean. There's hot water in the shower. The water pressure is great. I am not feeling well today and threw up multiple times in sketchy, dirty bathrooms earlier today. I am so happy that I now have a sparkling clean bathroom in the event that I start feeling sick again.

3. The air conditioning is great and cools the room quickly! I had forgotten how wonderful it is not to be sweating all the time!

4. The pool snack bar had decent food that filled me up and didn't make me any more nauseated. I actually felt much better after I ate there today. The food was a little pricey, but I don't care because I feel much better now.

5. Free wifi throughout the hotel. I haven't lost a signal once.

6. They will let you leave a bag here if you don't want to take all of your stuff to Corn Islands. You can come back and pick it up when you return! (They'll give you a claim ticket.) This is wonderful because I heard there are really strict weight limits for luggage going to Corn Islands and if you're traveling for awhile through different climates, you've probably got stuff in your backpack that you don't really need for a few days in the islands. I am so happy that I get to leave my big backpack here and travel with a little bag over to the islands.

7. The airport is directly across the street. You can walk! (Although I heard there's a shuttle if you don't want to walk.)

8. There are two pools and free breakfast in the morning. I'm leaving before breakfast, but that's definitely a nice bonus for people who aren't on a 6:00 a.m. flight.

Anyway, I've read a lot of nasty reviews of this place and was a little worried when I booked it, so I just wanted everyone to know that I've been pleasantly surprised. It is pricey for Nicaragua, but if you've got an early flight, this place is awesome!!!

Room Tip: I'm staying in room 24 and it's quiet over on this side of the property. We're far away...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest
We realy apreciate your feedback and time, we always working very hard to provide you an excellent service as you deserve, your satisfation and comfort are our mision.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was a bit leery from the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. It's a large, clean, fresh facility with wi-fi throughout; plenty of outdoor space to relax, have a drink or snack, and catch up before heading out or returning from one's Nicaraguan adventure. The room itself was quite adequate, comfortable. However I would not stay here except for airport transfer, as there is not much else around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank john_northbay
BEST WESTERN L, Front Office Manager at Best Western Las Mercedes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thanks for your feedback, we hope to have you as our guest again and provide you with an excellent service.

Best Western Las Mercedes

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I've stayed at this property three times now on my way out of the country in the past few years. The room rates started in the high 70s and now they're up to US$100/night. The value is in the convenient location. You will be a captive audience re room rate AND food & beverage, not to mention accompanying service.

The staff can be somewhat surly, slow, and they expect US-style tipping (beware, if you don't, you will be treated accordingly). If you're a female, expect some "lesser than" treatment from the male staff. Very macho... and try not to make any special requests. One morning I asked for some extra coffee packets for my room. You would have thought I asked for a gold-plated mug. The coffee never did arrive.

Room charges do not work the same way they do in countries with a heavier IT backbone. You have to present the card at the front desk and select an amount up to which you will charge (for example, US$100). They charge the card and upon checkout, they refund the $100 and then charge the actual amount (for example, $27.69).

Room Tip: For evening revelry noise, stay away from bar. If you don't like the sound of rolling suitcases...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and time, we really sorry, we are training our staff to be helpfull and kind,our mission is your satisfation and confort.