Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua
US$90
US$190
US$160
  • Pool
Art Hotel Managua(Managua)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$47
Hotel Mozonte(Managua)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$36
US$139
US$115
All reviewsconvention centerchinese restaurant next doormall across the streetpool areahotel offersan older hotelnice hotelrestaurant staff arefood courtgreat roomluxury hoteldesk stafflaundry servicegrocery storecentral americafelt safecommon areas
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I have been in Nicaragua for 2 weeks visiting friends but had to be in Magua the last couple of days so decided to try out the Crowne Plaza. This used to be the InterContinental before the new one, in the better location was built.

I came about 11:30 and put my bag in the room then my friend, his son and I decided to eat at the lunch buffet. It was really great..... but a little over-priced perhaps. For the 3 of us the bill was $56.

The public areas are really pretty and the pool area is nice.

I had reserved a executive suite deluxe room which is the best room available below the presidential suite but I was somewhat disappointed in the room size. I am not even sure this was the room I reserved as it did not have a king bed and no sure I had lounge access seeing that I was on the 2nd floor. It did have 2 separate rooms and 2 full bathrooms but the room was worn and dated. I decided to go downstairs and switch rooms. They then gave me a suite which was a bit larger and had a living room that you could close off from the bedroom and WAS a bit larger but there was a problem with the shower. I was being picked up for dinner at 7pm and found out about the shower at 6pm when I wanted to get ready. NO HOT WATER!! I called down to the front desk and was told that there were no other rooms available for me to take a shower in, that the hotel was fully booked. I don't believe this as they were still showing plenty of availability online, but, anyway..... so I took a cold shower and then told them I was going out for the evening and that I would like the issue fixed before my return but when we got in at 1am it was still not fixed.

The hotel is not in a great location. I like the location of the InterContinenal and Holiday Inn much better. Whenever I am close by a casino I like to go and empty out my wallet. The hotel is way away from both Pharoahs locations and from pretty much everything else interesting in Managua. There is a convention center attached which has a lot of conventions so I suppose if you are here for a convention the location would be perfect. Otherwise, I would not stay in this area personally.

The staff overall were basically pleasant but nothing more.

We orded room service for Breakfast for my friend who didn't want to go down to the buffet and he said it was excellent and the prices were very reasonable. I went to the buffet and thought it was also excellent. The food is by far the most redeeming quality of this hotel.

I took the airport shuttle which was free and right on time.

If you are a PC member I much prefer the InterContinental or the Holiday Inn over this hotel.

I think I have stayed at my last Crowne Plaza. Quite frankly I feel that most Crowne Plazas should just be sold off, they are way past their prime and many are an embarassement to the Priority Club chain.

I will try and add photos later when I have a better internet connection and will upload a couple of videos to my youtube page if you care to see them just pm me and I will give you the link.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank tammynnc
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Stayed on executive floor, but wasn't told at check-in that club lounge is closed. When I asked the Front Desk, got nothing but a blank stare and a less than honest reply that it is under renovation. Not true - it was closed for cost saving measures. The bar is terribly unappealing and way to overpriced for Nicaraguan standards. The room wasn't serviced even though the sign was on the door and the room attendant saw me leave. Mentioned it to the Front Desk but, again, just got a blank stare. They need some serious customer service training. No smiles ever and all of them came across as rather arrogant. The swimming pool is less than appealing, poor maintenance, water is cloudy and too warm. There isn't even a restaurant anymore (breakfast only). Overall a very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank augaracin
IHGCare, IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Hotel Managua, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Dear augaracin,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for your unpleasant experience because of our service. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Lin Sun
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 July 2011

I went to Managua for 1 day on a layover and heard that the Airline crews stay here. Right across from the mall. Warning - do not call long distance from room phone. $4.00 per minute. Luckily I found a western union phone booth in the mall across the street and called the states for .91USD. The breakfast is unbelieveable. Mango Carrot drinks with plantain and eggs. Staff was a little unresponsive but didnt expect much. shuttle to airport was excellent and on time. Great location with Dollar rent a car on property if you want to go to the beach which is 1 1/2 hr from hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many, many times in the past ten years when visiting Nicaragua and in the years past have had very positive experiences. It is a very historic building in Managua, one of the few that survived the 72 earthquake with great views of the lake and city from some the suites. Though the rooms were very clean they are showing there age and some of the regular rooms are quite small. Overall, my family and I were really disappointed on our most recent trip to Managua in June 2011.

Though the rooms were clean and food was ok and it was very convenient with a mall and shopping right across the street. Some of the staff at check in was not friendly and had an attitude and did not seem to appreciate our business. Please note that most of the other staff such as bellboys and bar keeps were very friendly.

In addition, they made a mistake with my reservation and made no effort to reconcile this. Also, the lobby which I remember from years past as being beautifully decorated had a terribly depressing feel to it, same with bar. The walls were empty accept for some artwork that was painful to the eyes. The casino is gone as well. Overall, on our next visit we will be staying at the Intercontinental in Managua.

George Hasselmann

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Booked Executive Suite, received that. While the building itself is quite aged, the rooms were renovated. It was nice and big, with office area, balcony, big bed and LCD TV with DVD player. Bathroom could be bigger.

The executive lounge was closed during my whole 1,5 week stay. Instead I could get full breakfast in the restaurant and was offered the right to have free local drinks in the evening (18-20hr) in the bar. The second weekend they denied it and I protested, after that I got the drinks and also some snacks. They said that lounge is closed for renovations, but it was not true. I spent there some hours every day working as the view is very good and it is wireless covered, just there is no service, no food, no drinks.

- What was good and what was bad?

Good:
* The room was quite good
* Free airport shuttle and free shuttle to nightlife area
* Good breakfast with diverse options
* Location - quite central and offered good views and easy access.
* Swimming pool - I was often there completely alone
* Welcome fruit on arrival

Bad:
* Inconsistency in service. They never remembered when I had breakfast that I do not drink any coffee or tea, after being there even over a week. Also often they forgot to add the water bottles to the room. Something was missing every day in bathroom (like one day tissues, the other day a towel etc)
* Closed club lounge.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Tango-Xpress