“Bueno, bonito y barato”

Colibri Hotel y Desayuno
Ranked #2 of 86 Managua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location, amazing customer service and tasty breakfast, I completely recommend this to anyone who would like a downtown hotel with all the amenities. Congratulations Colibri Hotel, you are great!

Room Tip: We were 4 and they put the beds together for all couples, it was great! the terrace is amazing for a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank layla_costarica

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Located in Los Robles on east side of Carratera Masaya. No vehicle needed. Short walk to La Union, Metro Centro Mall, and all sorts of restaurants. Tucked away on a side street in a quiet neighborhood, ten rooms, security, clean, A/C, Wi-Fi, safe, hot water, TV, and ceiling fan. Breakfast is good and all staff I met very pleasant. A well operated small business.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank UltimoGringo
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This beautiful green spot in the middle of the often loud and hot Managua is the best place for a quiet stay. The garden and calm atmosphere present a perfect spot to work and rest your mind The personnel is friendly and helps in all circumstances without denial. The rooms are clean and the beds are super comfortable!
go and enjoy, the name holds its promises!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank m e
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed two nights at this B&B, the night I arrived and the night before leaving.

The hotel does not have shuttle service to and from the hotel, but they can arrange to have a reliable taxi driver they work with to pick you up or drop you off at a cost. The taxi driver who picked me up and dropped me off, Lester, was very polite and helped me with my luggage.
During my two nights there, I never met the owner/manager of the B&B so I mostly dealt with the staff that works there throughout the day. They were very polite and helpful. Unfortunately, I did not get their names but I believe they are mother and daughter. I speak Spanish, so I'm not sure if they provide service in any other language.
The WiFi was good for what I needed it for. I just used it to connect to Skype, Facebook, YouTube and a few other websites that aren't too demanding.
For breakfast you had the option of pancake with fruits or you could request that they make "gallo pinto" (mixed fried rice and beans), scrambled eggs and fried, ripe plantain pieces with "queso fresco". I had the latter and it was very good. I believe you had the choice of coffee or orange juice.

Referring to TripAdvisor, it appears this B&B is probably the best value for your dollar. There are a few things that some of the more expensive hotels could offer that this B&B doesn't, but if you're just looking for a safe and reliable place to stay and relax whenever you're not out and about, I can't imagine any place being better at the rates offered by Colibri.

Sleep Quality
I was in room 3 both nights I stayed at Colibri, but had two different experiences as far as sleeping goes. Room 3 is located on the main floor and just off the reception area. The first night I was awoken past midnight by other guests who returned from a night out and spoke and sang quite loudly for a while. Also, above my room's door was a window pane that allowed all the light from the reception area to enter into my room.
My second night, I had no problems.

Cleanliness
The room and B&B, in general, were very clean. My only gripe was that one of the four pillows on my bed was lumpy and had yellow stains. They should probably throw it out.

Location
The B&B was a short walking distance from a few small restaurants/bars and a supermarket. There's a map of recommended walking paths to some of the locations. I wouldn't recommend walking around Managua alone.

Rooms
Room 3 was small but since I was by myself and was only going to be staying two separate nights, I didn't mind. It may be a problem for pairs who may be staying consecutive nights, though.
The room had a double bed, a night table with a lamp, a small closet with a small safe, an air conditioner, a ceiling fan, a flat screen LED TV, and a private bathroom with warm water.
The air conditioner cooled down the room very quickly. I didn't make use of the TV, so I don't know the quality of the channels offered. The water pressure in the shower was good and although there's no hot water, it's warm enough to shower comfortably.

If I ever return to Managua, I will definitely stay at Colibri again, although I would probably try a different room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank darkERA
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Literally. I am here as a doctoral student conducting my field work throughout Nicaragua. Colibri has served as my long-term stay. Excellent staff, owner, wifi, air-con, breakfast, security and aesthetically gorgeous. I highly recommend it. They were willing to offer me long term rates. Centrally located near a mall, restaurants, grocery store. Breakfast is the included and freshly made.

Room Tip: I had room #7. They removed the second twin bed and put in a desk for me. Very quite.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank edlcs2
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Overall I was very happy to stay in this small B&B! I think it turned out to be an excellent deal for the price. The location was very convenient, close to other major spots and very accessible if you're relying on taxi transportation. The rooms and common areas were very clean and pleasant. The only real inconvenience was the mosquitoes in the room, but the staff were very attentive and really did a good job at trying to make us feel more comfortable. I highly recommend it and would visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank B T
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at Colibri on our final night in Nicaragua at the end of 2+ weeks of traveling. Our driver from San Juan del Sur wasn't quite sure where it was located - and our limited Spanish skills weren't any help! - but we found it without too much trouble. The entrance is actually a bit tricky to locate as it is not along the main street, but rather tucked behind on some side streets.

It is located near several other large hotels (Hilton Princess, Seminole Plaza) in the central business district of Managua. Lots of restaurants within walking or short taxi ride. However, we were dragging after our travels, so we ended up just having the very friendly staff order pizza for delivery at the hotel for us. Staff provided us with plates and utensils from the kitchen. Funny note: we were told that Burger King also delivers!

We had a room on the ground level, just off the common area, but it was quiet. The room was modest size and clean, with a nice bathroom and shower. The bed was comfortable, and the a/c cooled things down nicely.

Staff arranged for an early morning taxi to the airport, no problem at all.

In two trips to Nicaragua, we've tried 3 places for one-night stays and have been pleased with all of our choices. Colibri is a place we'd not hesitate to stay in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple