“Cheap but not cosy” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
“Cheap but not cosy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

I picked this hotel because the price was right (or maybe not). The advertisements looked promising, but don't let the pictures fool you. There are not any thrills with this hotel and I didn't expect any for the price. The hotel was a safe and and fairly clean, but had seen better days.
I stayed in room 28 and my friend stayed in 31, neither one had hot water. I asked the desk about the hot water and they said that it didn't work, and then just looked at me as though I was stupid, and then went about their business surfing the internet.
The front desk had internet, but the computer at the work station didn't work and the WIFI stayed connected to our IPODs for about 2-3 minutes. When asked about this I got the shoulder shrug.
The pool was questionable and I chose not to swim.
The food was good and at the right price, but make sure you ask for your change or you won't get it, and don't let them tell you that they don't have change like they attempted with us. We had small bills and this is a business isn't it.
If you need a cheap safe place to lay your head then you found it, but I guess I need a little more, or at least what was advertised.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 28 or 31 - The hot water doesn't work.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Tommy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

The hotel was dirty. The staff put us in a terrible situation. The owner was unconcerned. They pointed me out to individuals off the street and let people I didn't know ring my room. All wanting money. So uncomfortable we left the hotel because our guide did not think we were safe. They refused to give us our deposit back and were very disrespecting to us when we left. Our guide went to the tourism director and he informed us that the hotel D'Lido was not concerned with tourist and they did not recommend them. I DO NOT recommend them for any mision team!!!

Room Tip: I highly suggest the hotel Maracas instead!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Ricky781
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I have stayed here several times and I understand the confusion of the earlier review but hotel lido does not take a commission with taxis but taxis charge you more if call them over the phone so its better if you walk and call your own taxi . the price you cant I beat this place its small has a/c clean pool and good food they alsi have a few good restaurants around the hotel like Eskimo and la plancha and Los ranchos all are walking distance overall its a great place for under40$

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank girald
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I came into town for the night to go to the embassy the next day, I chose Hotel D'lido cause it seemed the best option for the price and was close to the Embassy. room was $25 for one person with a fan, not hot enough for AC. I ate two meals here, food was good and I asked the desk clerk 50 questions about buses, the embassy and Leon and she was very helpful. I asked her to call a taxi for me so I could go to a restaurant, the driver she called was far away so she had the waiter walk with me to the main road to get a taxi to make sure I was safe. I ended up just eating at the hotel. Room was clean and very quiet. I will stay here again if I ever have to spend the night in Managua again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank mateowr
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

The hotels’ neighborhood is OK, but the hotel was a bit hard to find. There were no restaurants in the near neighborhood. It is a bit far from everything.
This is an old hotel that can certainly use some updating. From a distance, it has a very nice and inviting pool. But the water in the pool was very dirty. It was quite a turn-off. The rooms are dark, grim and quite dated. On surface the hotel appears to be generally clean. However, there were many (and some old) mouse droppings in my closet. Mouse droppings were also falling down from the (office like) ceiling tiles in my room (I had a problem with light …). The room had TV, fan and private bathroom with electric water heater. The lighting in room was very dark. The rooms’ window wouldn’t lock properly. Door knobs and locks were dated, wobbly and not very secure. There was a free internet.
The staff in reception was nice. If you ask them to call a taxi, they will get a commission from the taxi which will be transferred onto you. It is easy and safe, even in the evening, to walk out on the street and get a taxi yourself. You may have to walk a block to get it.
I do not recommend using the airport shuttle service. It was quite disorganized and painful. At the time we were supposed to leave the driver was not even close to ready. At the time of departure for the airport, with a cigarette in his mouth, he leisurely started to check the tires and engine and started putting water into the radiator. Half an hour later, or late, we finally left for the airport. It was then inside the car when I smelled alcohol on his breath.
This hotel was a disappointment for me. I found it to be very overrated and overpriced for what it is. I would not discourage anybody from staying here, but at the same time, there are better places to stay in this city at much better value.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank povetron
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I loved the personalized service the staff gave me and my wife. The pool was surprisingly almost always empty so I got to swim quite a good swim in it quite a few times. The food was delicious. Nicaraguan styled food and the fish is fresh I should know I'm a chef. The rooms were quite comfortable and the internet service for free was a great add on because almost every hotel in Nicaragua they will charge you for their internet acess. The mother of the owner Ricardo took us around the city to see all the sites. Also I was forwarned that certain parts of Nicaragua may be unsafe for tourists but I never found that to be the case in the neighbourhood that Hotel DLido is in. I found myself being greeted by the locals all the time they were so friendly. Nicaragua is defenetly a place you have to visit because the culture is so different and simple but rich with colors and music. I highly recommend this hotel and you can bet your dollar that I will be back in no time. Thank you to all the staff at Hotel D'Lido and to the Owner Ricardo and his lovely family.

Room Tip: Talk directly to the owner Ricardo Nickiford he will give you good rates
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank George_Stane
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

The hotel was close to the airport, safe, and had everything we could need. The staff is friendly and very attentive as well. The swimming pool was a plus and the food was great. Definitely staying here again next time I pass through Managua. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business