“Welcome to the MEGA Hostel”

Luna's Castle Hostel
Prescott, Arizona
“Welcome to the MEGA Hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

A great hostel for the social backpacker. This place is 24/7 action from all over the world. They've got plenty of rooms (though book ahead if its a holiday) and plenty of comfy space to hang out. Wifi and a lot of pc's free to use. Brekky included (DIY pancakes and coffee). And a wicked movie theater (which you can stay in if they're booked for rooms).
Also worth mentioning that their location is perfect- we even felt safe walking the area at night.
Cheap beer, great library, free bike rental, reasonable price... What else could you want?

• Stayed February 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Staff are usually busy, but find time to help with all the requests coming their way. Free bikes are hard to get because often the staff don't want to fetch them. Our private room was extremely hot and we didn't know about the aircon option.
However, great open areas to mingle and relax, table tennis located right next to a beer fridge in nice. Kitchen is well kitted out, but with so many people it can be hard to cook, especially with the cleaning ladies cooking alongside you!!
Bathrooms, kitchen and common areas were kept pretty clean considering all the drinking and partying going on!

Room Tip: Get an ac private room if you can. If you don't get your private room straight away, try again a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

The receptionist greeted me with rolling eyes and rude comments about lack of my knowledge in regards of San Blas trip. I was shocked. I came there to ask questions about San Blas, and eventually ask them to book me on a tour. The hostel promotes themselves as connection with tour operators and that they help make arrangements.
I was really offended, but due to lack of other places to ask (no tour agencies in Casco Viejo), I came back the day after hoping for another receptionist. Once again the person made me feel like a burden and told me go and read a binder. Why couldn't they have given me that binder yesterday? Don't ask... but, the binder actually had lots of good information and helped me a lot to choose islands I wanted to visit. I was satisfied (doesn’t take much, I know. Next step was to make reservations on the islands, the receptionist insured me that she would, but on the day of departure I was met by other (read. bad) news. Thanks to Lam Tours other arrangements were made – unfortunately I didn't end up visiting the islands I wanted because of Luna's and last minute reservations by Lam Tours, but I still had a great time on the islands.
So my advice is - go directly to Lam Tours, you can email them. Do not make your reservations through Luna’s, they are totally incompetent and should be working in service world at all. Also, if you want a pleasant and welcoming hostel - stay at Panamerican (also in Casco Viejo). I loved it!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rejsefugl
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 6 nights, first in a dorm with air con which was ok and for the remaining 5 nights in a private room. I think this hostel is overpriced. We paid $15 each for a private room with no window or ventilation which meant it got extremely hot and it was also extremely dark. We had to have our door open when we were in there and I wasn't feeling well but wasn't able to hang in there and have time to myself because it was so hot!

Also, when I was waiting for my cab from the hostel to the airport (which reception booked for me) which was arriving at 10pm a staff member came up to me at 9.30pm and said very rudely 'YOU CAN'T HANG OUT HERE IF YOU AREN'T STAYING HERE'. Hmmmm well I'm sorry, do you think it's a good idea for a young woman to be wondering around the streets on her own at night?!!!???? I don't think so. This came from the same girl that had just got my backpack out of storage. Yes I know I wasnt staying there that night, but I had just stayed there for 6 nights so I don't see why it should be a problem for me to be there for a few hours!!!!! They should look after their guests more.

Not impressed at all.

Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

This place, as I said, is one of a kind. It is a very affordable and immense hostel whose staff will act as your personal travel agent if you like. There are air conditioned or non-ac dorm style rooms with 10 beds each. You are allowed to reserve one of these beds in advance. There are also ac and non-ac private rooms. These rooms you are not allowed to reserve in advance. Go for the ac! This place does not have very good ventilation or fans and the extra $2 you spend on ac is a life-saver. Also, if you are interested in a private room I recommend that you reserve some dorm beds and ask about availability when you get there. Most likely, they will be able to fit you in.
Overall, this place has a really fun vibe. There are many 20-somethings travelers from many countries that are all about meeting other people. That being said, if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing place to stay, this hostel is not for you.
I cannot overemphasize the quality all of the staff. They were very helpful in all aspects and we even allowed them to arrange a trip to San Blas for us. (this would have been very difficult without them)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Dorm rooms of 10 beds. Very nice and helpful staff . Wifi could be working better (
Not in all rooms) . Extraordinary sight of of the panama city bay from SOME rooms only.
My friends ( around 55 yo) booked a room for 2 but never got it when they showed up at the hostel. Instead they had to join me in a dorm room were woken up by people all night.

Final call : if you are more than 30 yo, avoid.
Otherwise , no soucy

Also the organization for the trip to san blas doesn't seem to be flawless. They made us wake up early to be in the car at 5:30. It's 6:00 am , we're still waiting and a guy just arrived to tell us the drivers were not aware they had to pick us up this morning...

SF Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

We spent more time than anticipated on both of our trips to Panama in Panama City. It's a great jumping off point and the staff were very helpful whenever we had questions. The bar was fun and movie theater a big plus when you just wanted to relax. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple