“Premium Treatment” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 85 Panama City B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Premium Treatment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We do not know an owner of a motel so friendly, helpful, courteous and personable to your needs, requests and demands. Excellent quality breakfast and the staff at your disposal all the times. It is centrally located, close to Metro and the setting is very natural. Rooms are clean and have mini fridge and micro. They understand your needs and requests. We had to leave early before their breakfast open, but they provided us with items a night before. Quality linen and toiletries. Nice quiet AC.

Room Tip: Garden terrace room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GrumpyAmerican

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights. It was a little bit of work for my taxi driver to find it (about 20 minutes and a $30 ride from Tocumen international airport at night and $15 to the domestic PAC airport). Unassuming from the outside, on a street off of a somewhat busy neighborhood witn some day traffic noise if you get the street faceing room. However its clean, rooms are small. Mine had a shower with a rain drop shower head that was great in the mornings. The front desk people are super nice, speak English and are very informative. Specially Erwin. Erwin let me use his subway card because I wanted to try the subway here. Take advantage of Miguel's car tour. He will take you to the miraflores locks of the panama canal, and wait for you, the to anton and casway and the old town for about $60/ couple. The downside he doesnt speak English. A simple breakfast is included. About a mile walk to a clean subway station. The neighborhood is somewhat busy and not really touristy at all, but for a comfortable, clean, reasonably priced place you cant beat this.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street. Try michaels car tour, he is on premises during the day. Hel...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was in Panama and booked this small lodge based on the description of being close to Via Espana the main restaurants, shopping and nightlife in Panama City. BEWARE this is located in a resdential area, its a long walk or a taxi ride to the centre. They say they speak english, however the front desk does not. I was charged for two nights even though i booked a day before and cancelled in person upon arrival due to the location. if you want to be close to all of the action, i highly recommend that you do not stay here. I was not pleased with the service at all or the lack of resolution.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sunloverlkm1975
Erwin_Goerke, Propietario at Baru Lodge, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest.

We are truly sorry for the misunderstanding, but we do think you are making a mistake, our Lodge is located two block away from Av. España, One Block away From Av. Belisario porras, two blocks from Av. Brasil and 6 to 8 block from calle 50st and Transistmica avenue, the five most important avenues in Panama city, you can not be more central than that in Panama city, since last week we are locate only 150 metres away from Fernandez de Cordoba subway station, of the new subway of panama, of course if you want to stay in old town or banking area, is like any other city, prepare to pay no less than 150$ per night, our lodge is not in the middle of the canal, casco viejo or banking area, but is only less than 5 minutes away in taxi from any of these places, and now with the subway we are only minutes away from all the attraction, without paying the rates of a traditional five star hotel, we do have 5 employees in our staf 2 of them are not good on ingles but I now they trying the best, we are sorry that was hard to communicate with our staff, we are working to improve the ingles knowledge of local workers.

We do not misrepresented our guest, in our web page and all around the web, you will found our location, which is just in the middle of the city.

We are sorry again that you didn't give us the opportunity to help you with the best way to move in the city, we do have cancelation policy that we do not can change.

Best Regard.

Erwin Goerke
General manager
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

After some days in Panama city, my boyfriend from Germany and I (from Costa Rica) decided to finish our trip at Baru Lodge, it looked nice, comfortable and for a good price. The hotel is a house, in a quite neighborhood and with a wonderful backyard. We got a bit late in the evening and the owner welcomed us, he was very kind and he speaks Spanish and English, he gave us a room upstairs which was very clean, tidy and comfortable.
The hotel is not so far away from the city and there is a laundry close (because the hotel doesn't offer this service). The rate included breakfast and it was very good: yogurt, fruits, cereal, coffee, juice and bread.
Our bad experience in this hotel was with one of the workers, during our visit (in January) there were three persons in charge of the hotel, the owner, one lady and one man. This man (a tall and colored man) since the first moment had an arrogant attitude, he didn't speak English and when my boyfriend asked him something in Spanish he didn't do any effort to speak slow and clear, he seemed to do not care about guests, however the worst situation with this guy was when we noticed he was trying to take advantage of his job to get some money from taxis. One evening we asked to the owner how much is the cost from the hotel to the Costwel, he called the taxi station and he said $11, next day in the morning we asked to this worker and he said $20. Other day we asked to the lady for a taxi and she called the taxi station and she said she doesn't know the price, that something you can negotiate with the taxi driver, finally the day I left Panama I needed a taxi to the airport, and the colored man was in charge of the hotel that day, he called a taxi, I went out to negotiate the rate with the taxi driver (as the lady suggested) and he said $25, but the hotel worker went out of the hotel and screamed to the taxi driver I had to pay $35, finally I told him that rate is not fair and he was on the street screaming " You have to pay $35, that is the rate and if you don't like it you call the owner, you cannot pay less".
This hotel is beautiful, comfortable, clean and quite, however I think this kind of employees doesn't care about the hotel and its guests and this can ruin a hotel reputation. He had a terrible attitude, he didn't care if my boyfriend understood what he said, he screamed us and he tried to get some money from guest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VeronicaGS
Erwin_Goerke, Propietario at Baru Lodge, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hi Veronica, We are very sorry for the inconveniences that you had with these employ, some times in Panama is really hard to find people with service aptitus, we are going to take care of these situation, I now taxi driver always offer money to the front desk workers, but this does mean they going to increase the rates to make money from our guest, for me the most important is the quality of the service, we promise you that we are going to correct the situation, and please count with a complimentary night for your next trip in Panama.

Best Regarts.

Erwin
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

The rooms were comfortable and the bathroom/shower was very clean.

Their driver Michael took us to the albrook bus station to send us on to Santa Fe. This service ($7) was invaluable for a couple with very limited Spanish. He parked his car, walked us to the ticket window, and all but put our bags on the bus. What a great service he provided!

I highly recommend for the comfort of the rooms and the super accommodations arranged by
Michael and the owner!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Arrived in Baru Lodge after a wonderful week in a nearby National Park ecolodge - I was apprehensive about the city and how to get around. Baru Lodge was the answer to everything! Erwin (the owner) welcomed us at the unearthly check in hour of 10am, carried in our luggage, gave us our rooms straight away and offered us coffee. He calmly answered my endless questions about taxis, restaurants, buses etc. The rooms were lovely - cool, comfortable and well stocked with towels and toiletries. The shower head was big and powerful. There was a busy street outside my room and I worried about not sleeping but there was no noise at night. The breakfast was very good and it was fun trying to get the two serving ladies to smile, but I did manage it! There is a lovely shaded garden at the back beside the breakfast area, surrounded by mature trees. I spent several hours here relaxing on the loungers provided, listening and watching the many birds that visited. Erwin recommended a driver Michael who proved a real gem. We used his services for our 5 days and found him extremely punctual, reliable and advised us on any security issues. He also took us on a day trip to El Valle in the next province. He does not speak a lot of English but is keen to learn. I had some Spanish so we were able to talk. Each evening we walked in safety to the Via Argentina (as advised by Erwin) where there are many restaurants. I could go on but you can see I really enjoyed my stay and have fond memories. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in rooms 4 & 5 - both were great
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pakal K
Cagliari
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Guests are sacred at this place. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. The showers are possibly the best you can get in Central America. The owner is a really nice person, but the ladies that serve at breakfast time have that almost typical "lazy-arrogant" attitude that I met in most of Panama. Breakfast is excellent though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple