“Clean but run down and over priced.”
Review of Hotel Benidorm

Hotel Benidorm
Ranked #98 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Clean but run down and over priced.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was there in December for a couple of days and the first room was sparse. No hot water and the air conditioner remote consisted of unplugging the unit from an unprotected, uncovered receptacle. No screens on windows and pretty noisy. I could not get the safe to open and after the receptionist mocked me for not being able to figure out why, the manager finally came and decided to give me another room because the batteries in the safe were low and it was not functioning correctly. The rooms were clean and the beds were okay but I feel anything over $30 is too high for the spartan surroundings. I went across the street to the Veracruz which has a decent restaurant downstairs and they showed me a nicer room for only $25 a night. I will stay there next time.

Room Tip: The neighborhood is fairly safe and this is within one block of a large supermarket (El Rey).
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toluca Lake, California
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I cannot say enough about Jose Carlos and his staff.

I was moving from Los Angeles to Bocas del Toro, with an overnight stop in Panama City. The Hotel Benidorm was one of two hotels I was looking at, based on the fact that they both accepted pets. After exchanging a couple of emails with Jose Carlos, it was very easy to choose the Hotel Benidorm.

I arrived at the hotel on a Monday with four enormous bags, one terrified cat, and a backpack. Checkin was fast and easy, and the bellman very happily transported all of my luggage to my room. My room was clean and comfortable, and the perfect place to spend the night.

I had an emergency on the way to the airport the next morning and Jose Carlos immediately checked me back in to the hotel; no complications, no delay, no questions. The staff was hugely helpful in getting me out on time the next day. Jose Carlos even gifted me a towel to cover my cat carrier with.

Truly a fantastic stay. I have traveled the world and have never had better service or more help from a hotel staff.

Michelle

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Michelle V
Valparaiso, Chile
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We were very glad to find a hotel which accepted us with our dog. Also it was very kind to help us by calling with copacargo and prinzing the mails for us. We will recommand your hotel to other travellers looking for a friendly hotel during their stay in Panama City. Sincerely, Ulrike Sonthof and Gerhard Beysel with dog Charly

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gerhard B
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The staff at this hotel were fabulous! The front desk staff were always helpful and had big smiles for their customers. We could not get Wi-Fi in our room and Jose personally came and worked with us until we were up and running!! Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable. Only had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, but it was good and again - happy staff! This is a very reasonably priced hotel and major reason we chose it was that it was pet-friendly. The overall cleanliness needs to be improved - washing the woodwork, door in the elevator, etc but I think this is a place to watch. The owners, Jose and Patricia, are obviously interested in the customer experience and was impressed that I was sent a survey to solicit our suggestions and feedback. Not much of a restaurant selection within walking distance, but centrally located so you can reach lots of great places to eat with just a short taxi ride. Convenient to have nice grocery store right across the way. Find during the day, but would NOT walk around the area at night. Lots of police presence, but still be very aware of where you are. Love Panama City!!

Room Tip: For best WI-FI choose room 305!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Coloradorealtor40
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Coloradorealtor40,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed our hotel, and as you could see is a pleasure for us to make our guests happy. We will take into account your suggestions in order to improve our services and hope to see you soon again.

Best Regards / Jose
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel meets all of the basics: clean, not a violent neighborhood, wifi. It is located in a very working-class neighborhood. A meet-the-basics kinda place like this needs something to set it apart to make it feel like you could come back again, but it doesn't.

What killed it for me were two events. 1 although I had asked the same staff not to clean my room in the 4 days I was there, they still knocked on my door at 8am several times, entered once when I was there without knocking - AND entered and cleaned as I was away getting breakfast.

Killer # 2 On the day of my checkout I was asked to give a deposit before going to breakfast, with the manager giving me a sour face from her office. I got the impression that they've had some people run out on them without paying and I think that the manager summed me up as much. Wow. What an insult. I bet I've been around the world 30 times over than she has - oh, and always payed my way - even in 5-star hotels.

One thing that could've avoided any grievances is simply a Do Not Disturb sign: this is the first hotel I've EVER stayed in that doesn't have one. I cannot suggest anything that would help them trust their Guests more.

Overall, the place is clean, the showers work well, TV is small and 90's style and there are few channels, but they are clear. They have very reliable, easy-to-access internet in the rooms, which I rely on completely. The staff is decent: If you ask a question they try to answer with whatever knowledge they have in their heads but do go beyond that. The receptionist did kindly ask me for any other comments. With regards to sleep: it's all relative. The street is rather busy with cars if you want to sleep early, but other than that there is no noise. I was able to sleep just fine.

Taxi's know Hotel Benidorm. If they don't, you just tell them "Avenida Perú, delante del (in front of) Machetazo" Machetazo is a well-known department store.

The working-class neighborhood is about a 45-minute walk ($1.50 taxi) to the Casco Antiguo and also from the hotel area with all of the nice restaurants. You will find you are only 3 blocks from the pedestrian bridge that takes you over to the "Cinta Costera" or the boardwalk. From there it's a straight, pleasant zip down to the Old Town or, conversely, up into the high rises.

If you like to feel the working class and get the sense of what real life is like in Panama - that was my mission here, actually - then this isn't a bad area since it's also not far from major city areas. You cannot expect foofy food options in this area. But mom-and-pop places and medium-sized older restaurants abound.

The best that I found in this area was a street food permanent kiosk (meaning, it doesn't have wheels and actually has a cooker) where the 4 ladies working at it refer to you affectionately as "cariño" (sweety). This is can be found on the hotel's main street, Rd 29. If you have Machetazo in front of you and the Hotel to your back, go right. A few blocks down you'll have the National Archives building and then to your right a park. Just after the park you'll see this little shack. Stay away from food under the lamp anywhere, but at this kiosk they have a steaming hot "sopa" that in Puerto Rico would be called "sancocho" a soup with, in this case: pork, corn and roots such as carrot and yucca.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank artedalia
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Artedalia,

First of all we want to thank you for your review and to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

We have already had a conversation with the maid in charge of the floor in which you stayed. She acted in good will but we informed our personnel about following the guests instructions above all other considerations. We also have already got those "DO NOT DISTURB" signs. Sorry for the inconvenience.

About the payment policies in the hotel I want to tell you that we ask for an advanced payment to all our guests without exceptions. That is because as a familiar small hotel the bank does not offer us the same credit card services as a big hotel, so we cannot open a credit card guarantee voucher that allows our guests to pay for the whole stay at the end of it. Also sorry for this inconvenience.

I am sure that the face of my sister, on the other hand a very cheerful person, did not have any connection with your payment status at that moment. Anyway sorry for that too.

Best Regards
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Benidorm, these are the reasons:
1. Both managers Patricia and Jose do their very best to serve you. I once had a disagreement with one of the waiters at the restaurant and they paid my breakfast at another hotel and next day the disagreement was solved and service got much better.
2. I assure you that you wont find another hotel in Panama with a better location and cheaper rates.
3. If I had to add a service, I would make sure that outgoing calls could be made from the room. when my card was cloned (not at Benidorm, it happened somewhere else) I spent almost 5 hours at reception making calls, it would have been easier to do it from my room.
4. most of receptionist do their best to make you feel at home, especially Briseida who is also fluent in English.

• Stayed June 2013
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear izaeljoao23,

First of all we would like to thank you the deference to write a review of our hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed you stay with us and we look forward to see you again.

We are continuously renewing and improving our services and a new telephone switchboard that allows us a lot more functions is already on its way.

Best Regards
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My 2nd visit to this hotel, as it turned out I was given the same room as previous visit. It now has a programmable safe and great strong free Wi-Fi. The staff has changed and English is spoken by a bell boy and a receptionist. They work mainly during the day shift. I stayed for 7 nights and the price is good including breakfast. Maid service was good. When I return to Panama, I will stay here. The rooms facing the street have new windows, which reduces the noise from vehicles and people going to the casino across from the hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street can be noisy, The hotel 3rd floor may be less noisey
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
jcblanco, Gerente at Hotel Benidorm, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Bigjohn0, thank you very much for letting us know your opinion about the hotel. As a recurring guest you can appreciate the integral refurbishment of our rooms in the last few months. As you said, we have installed complimentary in-house safe deposit boxes and improved our free Wi-fi speed. We have also installed double paned windows for thermal and acoustic isolation, and new black-out shades as well. For us is a pleasure to give our guests the best they can get with budget prices. Hope to see you again among us soon. Best Regards.