“Simply great value”

Ranked #30 of 79 Panama City B&B and Inns
Tres Rios, RJ
“Simply great value”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We arrived at Panamá City for a 20-hour stop over and decided to stay at Posada Aguamiel for a night. Even though we were aware that the property is highly rated by travelers we were taken aback when we got there -- free high speed internet in the room, helpful staff and, last but not least, clean, tidy, nicely decorated rooms and bathrooms.

Our stay in Panamá City was going to be very short so we needed to optimize our time. The minute we arrived we asked the staff about city tours and shuttle/driving services (of course we were not brave enough to drive in Panamá City). In less than ten minutes they arranged everything for us, which provided us the maximum use of our time.

Location was a plus since the neighborhood was very nice and we could walk safely to the pubs and restaurants in Via Argentina. The malls and Casco Viejo, where most nightlife action is nowadays, were just a ten-minute drive away.

I have read in some reviews that some rooms do not have windows. Well, I do not know about the other rooms, but ours did have a window and A/C was working just fine. It was brand-new, by the way.

We never thought it was possible to stay at such a high quality place for such a low price. Just make your reservation and do not worry about it.

Room Tip: Mayb you have to ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mata_Tudo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 October 2010

This place is a great find. The staff was so friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and comfortable and the location close to market, affordable eateries and bus lines. Not fancy, but I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank RangerAmy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 August 2010

After 20 hours travel time to get to Panama, sleep was tops on our list when we got there at 11:00pm. Around midnight, we were woken up the doorbell ringing constantly and people making a commotion in the common area (which echoes). Turns out that the front desk isn't REALLY 24 hours....the person there goes off to sleep and there were 2 guests trying to get in for 30 minutes and the security door to the lobby was locked. Also the patio door was locked....the only 2 ways in or out were shut.....a heck of a fire hazard. After a few heated words with one of the proprietors who showed up after a while, we managed to go back to bed.....only to be woken again at 3:15am by some critter in the wall clawing from the inside; it scared the crap out of us. To the owner's credit, the next morning, the issue with the front desk had been mostly resolved by agreeing to move the doorbell next to a room being renovated for the front desk person to sleep in. Also setting up keys next to the lobby door and unlocking the patio door. The critter came back a couple times scratching from the inside of the walls and in the ceiling even though the owner insisted that it's only on the roof. We let that one slide since the rest of our group was staying there and we just didn't want to deal with trying to find another place. The location is very central and the breakfast was basic, but good. Our room was dark and small with a VERY firm bed and no view, but it seemed fair for the price. And the owners response was very good the following day after the locked door incident.....he did listen to the issue and correct it very fast.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank DaveRR71
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed there one night with my friend (we are both female in our early 20s) after reading about it on TripAdvisor. The hotel seems nice and clean and the patio/breakfast area is very nice. Reminded me of a pricier European hostel. However, the rooms, in my opinion, were awful. The first room we were put in had no windows and one overhead light, leaving the room extremely dark and dull. It also had only one lock, the round button you push on the doorknob. I asked if we could transfer rooms, and the owner gave us another room, which had a window (with a view of a fence and some walls, but they can't help their location, so no complaints, all I wanted was light!) and a chain on the door. The decor is nice, somewhat sterile. The bathroom looked cool but the shower floor wasn't tilted properly so every time I showered there would be two inches of water on the ground.

What I hated about the B&B was how LOUD it was. I could hear every single thing in everyone's rooms: the tiny beep when the AC turns on, coughing, etc. Also, people were loud on the patio until fairly late playing music (11pm, which isn't terrible but if someone has to get up early to go to the airport or has little kids, it would have been difficult to fall asleep), and outside on the street there was some concert or something going on, also very loud. In the morning there was another concert that started around 9am, but I had woken up at 7:30am because I could hear everyone talking outside the room. Also, I found a huge cockroach on the floor .. I know cockroaches are common in big cities everywhere but it was still really disgusting to find it sneaking around my suitcase.

Breakfast was OK, decent selection. The staff is great, very accommodating and friendly, and there is a free business station with free printing which was very convenient, but OVERALL I would recommend staying at La Estancia if you have the choice. They are about the same price (or at least were at the time I was booking), but La Estancia has much better quality (I never stayed there but my traveling companion did). Bottom line: loud, bad lighting, disappointing.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank leezbeez
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I discovered Aqua Miel when I was walking around near Via Argentina.
Marina, one of the owners and a very nice woman, showed me this beautiful quiet place in the middle of town.
They transformed the house into a place where I felt myself immediately at home
The rooms are tastefully decorated and are very clean. . There is a small patio were you can sit outside to read a book.
The breakfast is delicious with fresh fruits and a lot of other nice things.
The hosts Marina and Daniel ( and their family) are very nice people and will give you the best tips.
First we stayed there one week and did a lot of day trips. When we left for Bocas we left a part of the luggage in Aqua Miel. When we returned from Bocas we stayed another four nights with them.
Eleven days in Aqua Miel??? Too long ???
We could stay there for at least a month. We found family in Panama and we certainly will come back !
Thank you guys .and take care !

Leonilde and Robert, Colombia and Holland

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert188590
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I visited Panama City, Panama from New York City on a short notice decision and Posada Agua Mail establishment and personnel first greeted and welcomed me. They were friendly and professional, the place was clean, there was a free internet access, breakfast kept you alive (need some improvement but you won't suffer) and location was right. Overall, great experience and i do recommend them.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
san francisco
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We recently stayed at Posada Aquamiel and can't say enough about how great our visit was! Diego and the rest of the staff are so friendly and helpful! They helped us with securing cabs, restaurants recommendations and basically anything else we needed. After spending three days there it felt like coming home each night!!

The rooms are modern with AC and comfortable beds. There is a TV and the breakfast in the morning is light, but a great way to start the day. The outside patio with candles was a nice touch and we took advantage of having evening cocktails and meeting other guests. They even have a computer by the rooms for all guest to use 24/7 , which is convenient when needing to print boarding passes, etc.

I can't say enough about our stay here and how great it was, and the price is reasonable. The location is great because it's centrally located and there are casino's and restaurants (and even a park) in walking distance. We (2 ladies) felt very safe walking around during the day and night.

If you're looking for a simple, clean and friendly place to stay in Panama, then the Posada Aguamiel is the place for you!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends