“Good location, would stay again”
Review of Hostal Mamallena

Hostal Mamallena
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Good location, extremly friendly, helpful staff, good tv room and lots of places to use wifi + free internet of communal computers. Lots of nice places to sit and hang out. Near a very good supermarket and ability to cook for yourself which was nice. Dorm rooms looked really nice, unfortunalty we booked a private room with shared shower, only one shower worked, room had no window and was impossible to be in when the air conditioning wasnt on and the sheets didnt fit the bed! Also it was a double bed room not a twin which we didnt realise so if looking for a twin beware of that! However, we would recommend it as a place to stay but IN A DORM!

Room Tip: Pick a dorm
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hostal Mamallena

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I've stayed in many hostels around the world including the Hostal Mamallena in Boquete and unfortunately the Hostal Mamellena in Panama City ranks towards the bottom.

Our room was very small - not much bigger than the very worn out mattress that was sitting on the floor. We were grateful it had AC until we discovered the AC doesn't come on until 9 PM. We'd been traveling all day and really wanted to crash for a few hours, but the room was too hot and the mattress sagged too much. When the AC came on at 9 PM, the room cooled down but then we couldn't turn the AC off - the switch was broken :-(

The showers and toilets were average - there was always one free when I needed one and they were reasonably clean.

While the location seems central, it was 3-5+ km from all the places we wanted to visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

We must be doing pretty bad to be rated near the bottom of most of the world!! I do apologise though, its not our intention to be like that. I am pretty sure we don't have a mattress on the floor though, and if it was I am also sure it wouldn't sag! We do advertise that we only have AC from 9pm, and the size of the rooms has been mentioned various times here on TA. The Ac shouldn't be broken, but a broken switch on an AC is difficult to fix. I will look into it though. I will look into the problems and make sure they are fixed.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed here the first night we landed in panama city. Richard checked us in and we went straight to bed after 18 hours of travel. He was very helpful to recommend us to the Miraflores locks and casco viejo as the next days activities.
The next day we walked from mamallena to casco viejo on the beautiful waterfront walk. There is a fantastic ceviche fish market between the hostel and casco viejo where we ended up eating everyday we were in panama city.
The staff and volunteers at mamallena were so helpful at recommending activities on a budget and the guests that we met were simply lovely. If you are looking for a laid back hostel with a cool location, definitely stay at mamallenas.
Ps choco loves pio pio.

• Stayed: February 2014
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

To be fair, Choco loves anything that involves food, any food except his own that is! Good to hear that you enjoyed yourself and the staff are living up to expectations, thats always great to hear. Come back anytime, Choco is getting hungry.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

To be honest, when I first came to Mamallena in Panama City, I did not like it. I just could not understand what was so cool about it. But I kept coming back because of Edgardo who works there - so helpful, always smiling, easy to talk to ... and also because of some guests staying there, such as Heider. We really had a blast chatting every day. The hostel itself is like any other hostel pretty much, the wifi is good, it can get a bit loud at night and I didn't like air con at night as sometimes it got too cold. But thumbs up for the little blender so I could make my smoothies (I do not eat pancakes included in the hostel price as I am raw vegan, so had to prepare my own meals).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Crazysexyfuntraveler
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I ve been in hostel Mamallena last september and I can only say was wonderful. All people who work there were brilliant, gave me all instructions how to get where I wanted and really pleasure to met them. Once again I highly recommend this hostel because people who work there do their job very well and without them you would not be so sure. Thanks again to make my travel so nice. Love you all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank feranda

Thanks for that, its always nice to get praise for the staff in what can sometimes be a bit of a thankless job. This makes them feel that much more appreciated.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Excellent hostel for all kinds of crowds. Clean dorms with large bunkbeds and good ventilation at night.
Helpful staff who can help you planning your boattrip to Colombia via the San Blas islands (I can really recommend skipper Sebastian and his ship Cortos 2).
Nice, free breakfast with pancakes.
The garden lounge is a great hangout area to meet other travellers.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Giant J
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I loved staying at Mamallena, I felt very safe and felt at home right away! A very friendly environment with helpful staff and a real nice dog. I stayed in a private room and a dorm and both were comfortable. The common kitchen and gathering areas lent to a family kind of feeling. I stored beer in the communal fridge with no worry of some else "helping themselves". I a sole female backpacker I highly recommend this place. Also the location is very convenient for catching a bus or taxi.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo