“Great Hostel, Great Staff.-”
Review of Hostal Mamallena

Hostal Mamallena
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My stay here was certinly memorable. The hostel is in a great building with a perfect mix of being social yet not overly noisey ambiance at night for it to make the perfect stay. From a great back garden to a high up communal area/balconay with views over the city the hostel is well desiged and has a geniune soul. This is made much more apparent with all the staff who work here with a mix of locals and backpackers volunteering. They were some of bet workers at a hostel that i have, for in my case having a sustained an injury which kept my indoors for pretty much a week, they made me cormftable and were very, and almost, too attentive! The location is ok, but a quick bus ride will takes you too anywhere in the city and is not an expenisve trip to anywhere. The location is very centralised but the bloack surrounding the hostel arent the great. The trips to the San Blas islands/colombia are also very professional and fun! DO IT!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed in the hostel for 2 nights in May 2014.

The staff throughout my stay were very good. Both friendly and helpful. Their knowledge was very good. They even had a British guy working there at the time.

My room was nice and the night-time air conditioning was excellent. I did however notice a cockroach in my room on the day I departed which wasn't acceptable. The WiFi didn't work in my room and only worked within the main building around the reception area.

The showers weren't very good during my stay. I didn't mind the cold temperature too much as the city is hot and humid. But the pressure was pretty poor and not really strong enough.

The location I would describe as OK. There are a few eating options close by (McDonalds and local bakeries) and there is a Metro station 5-10 minutes walk away (useful for those arriving into Panama City by Tica Bus). There are also a couple of supermarkets within 10-15 minutes walk away. It didn't seem an overly safe area at night though so something worth noting.

I paid $42 for my stay which for a private room I thought was very good indeed.

Despite my concerns I still had a good stay and would recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hostel has a wonderful vibe, with very nice volunteeers and a decent free breakfast. they also help out with booking numerous tours at no extra cost, including sailing trips to columbia. They only have cold showers, but thats ok as panama city is usually cooking during the day. they have an excellent backyard patio with several well placed hammocks. the beds are clean and fairly comfortable.

The only negative is the area it is located. there is absolutly nothing to do around the hostel, and you dont want to be out during night alone. it is a wonderful place to stay if you are planning to move on quickly out from panama city as it is close to the main bus terminal, but not the best place to set up camp to explore panama city

Room Tip: the front dorms are suprisinly the best. tall ceilings and not the slightly cramped feelings of some...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ErichKamprath
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Very Rude staff, bad showers, small private rooms, really small bathrooms. You get better value for you money in Casco Viejo. Suspicious bites on my back that really looked like bed bugs. I would not recommend the hostel.

We went on the Gitana III beginning of May 2014 and it was the worst trip of my life. The captain Marc smoked marijuana all the time, he was rude, impatient and selfish. Not service-minded what so ever, and that goes for the whole crew, except for Guillamo (the skipper). The girl who worked on the boat was racist and lazy. The bathroom was cleaned only once and we were 16 people. It was disgusting and smelled really bad.

We were delayed for one day and they didn't tell us that until three days into the trip. We already booked accommodation but where not compensated for that because of the delay. Also, because the windows of the boat couldn't shut properly, our bed was soaking wet during navigation. But we were not compensated for that either.

The boat was in poor condition and required a lot of maintain. I wonder how much bribe they have to pay to keep that thing on the sea. Very poor safety procedure. During the last night the motor overheated and we were all really worried. Luckily, the weather was fine.. I cannot imagine what it would be like if the motor broke down during a storm. Also, the captain (who does not speak a word of English) brought his girlfriend along on the trip so he could cuddle with her, which was really weird. I think they were doing some drugs as well.

The majority of the food was terrible, disgusting actually. Overcooked pasta every lunch. The only thing worst than the food was the captain. We were hungry all the time because of the disgusting food and when asked for some snack they just brow and say that it is not included. Last meal we were served ice cold processed sausages from the day before...Just horrible.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tina K
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hostel is look nice, clean and the stuff are friendly. The location is not central, better to stay in Casco viejo. The showers were really bad: there were only a weak flow of cold water. The room was beautiful but the bad was not comfortable and the AC was weak.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Basically we're located in the centre of Panama and you can get to Casco Viejo within minutes, as well as most other places. Its not a historic area but it is pretty local. We do apologise about the water pressure, we'll try and fix that and look into the beds and AC as well.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here some nights directly after arriving in PTY in a private room.
Indeed not located in the best (tourist) area, but there is a supermarket on the corner of the street and U can take a taxi to casco viejo for 3-4$ aswell as to the city center. It is not a party hostel but there are always people hanging around in the garden / hammocks / or one of the other places to chill.
WiFi is good, aswell as the free pancakes and coffee.
We enjoyed our stay and would come back!

A pool would defenitly be an extra plus.
Airco works only from 21.00-09.00

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed it, and we are hoping to do a major building program next year and put in new rooms with private bathrooms and a pool. Hopefully you can make it back one day to see them!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Arrived in Panama and immediately started sweating buckets worrying about how i would sleep in my hostel. I arrived at 230am and was shown to my dorm style room. Opened the door and was hit by a wall of cold air. Not sure if i would be able to sleep a minute without ac. The fact that they have ac in a dorm room is huge. Helpful staff, great basic amenities, good location, great price

Room Tip: Budget? go with a dorm, still has AC
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo