“quite. nice pool. nice people.”
Review of Canal Inn

Canal Inn
Ranked #30 of 78 Panama City B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“quite. nice pool. nice people.”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

great place. a little out there so if you don't have a car or like walking a bit to buses/taxis then it might be a downer - but the owners are great about arranging things if needed.

i would return. so quiet. and there is a monkey, ramona, that lives at the place along with some gatos.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank raymullen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
David, Panama
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This is by far the best location my family and I have discovered on our frequent trips to Panama City from David, Panama. We were treated like family from the moment we arrived until the second we said good bye. This three day stay was well above from what we expected ... Franz and the family did a great job as hosts for my family and me. We really enjoyed the refreshing pool on the hot afternoons. The room was the right size for my family with fresh clean linen. The hotel is very tastefully decorated with things that make you feel like HOME. My family and I will definitely be back to visit our family at the Canal Inn.

EJ

Room Tip: All rooms are equally comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Very friendly and helpful, exelent breakfast, ok clean rooms, free internet. Very calm area near the canel and American Bridge. Easy to get to the Albrook Airport and Busterminal.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Houston
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at the Canal Inn recently and had a fantastic experience. My schedule kept changing and they were always accommodating. The staff, especially the owner Franz and Migdalia who did all cooking and cleaning while I was there, were warm, helpful and friendly. The rooms are simple but comfortable, the common areas are cozy, and breakfast tasty - a great value all around. The location, near the Canal Zone and the Albrook Airport and commercial area is safe and convenient to the sights of the city. I love to run and the Canal Inn is a mile to Cerro Ancón - a favorite for runner's cyclists, walkers and birders. Easy to get to if traveling to other parts of Panama and there is free parking!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Hello
My boyfriend and I stayed at the Canal Inn for one night. The La Boca and Balboa neighbourhoods of Panama City are fantastic but the Canal Inn is pretty much underneath the Bridge of the Americas so its a little loud, but not bad. You can walk to the Panama Canal Admin building from the inn and the artisan markets which are a must. Anyway, Our room was smelly - a mustiness that they tried to cover with toxic Febreze or Febreze like product (something that I noticed in a lot of places in Panama). I would have liked to open the window but it was hot as hell that day and with the bridge noise...anyway, we used the aircon and suffered through the smell. Great showers!!! The owner, Franz, is a lovely guy. Decent breakfast (don't get those weird tubular cornmeal "muffins"). One thing I did not like is that they have a Tamarind monkey out back on a leash. It's just a baby and just paces along the wall looking frightened and lonely. So, I wouldn't stay there again for that reason.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Langhorne, PA
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We spent a 3 nights / Sat. - Mo., Carnival Weekend at Canal Inn. It was our second stay at here. It was peaceful and quiet, same as last February. Franz the innkeeper was most gracious and he was especially helpful when I could not connect a cell phone call to the U.S. He enabled a call for me on his laptop. The swimming pool is expanded from last year and the setting is as lovely as ever; the perfect place to cool off after a day touring. As was the case last year, we met an array of travelers from other countries staying at the Inn, and enjoyed comparing notes with them on Panama travel, and our homelands. If you want to be off the beaten path in a quiet corner of Panama City, with easy access to Casco Viejo, Cinta Costera, Amador, Allbrook, and Miraflores, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim_Patricia
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My wife and daughter and I shared a plain room at the beginning and end of our 2 week trip to Panama over the New Year. Later, I returned by myself for another couple of nights before flying home and this room was very nice. Canal Inn is ideally located being close to the bus terminal and the usual attractions around Balboa. Cabs are readily available both going and returning (let cabbies know that it's close to the 'Bomba in La Boca'). The staff are exceptional and are interested in making your stay as pleasant as possible. Breakfast is quite good with lots of variety and the ladies are attentive to special dietary requests. The pool is a big bonus, especially for people with kids. The house is very quiet even with lots of guests and the menagerie. There's a restaurant/bar a block away that is good value.
This is an excellent place to stay in Panama.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family