“Awesome customer service!”
Review of Bahia Suites Hotel

Bahia Suites Hotel
Ranked #97 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 15 May 2014

During our recent visit to Panama, my husband had to be taken to the ER room at the Nacional Hospital upon our arrival. The next morning I was talking to a taxi driver, telling him my dillema and my need for a hotel w in walking distance to the hospital. He highly recommended the Bahia Suites, saying it was a fairly new hotel. Upon arrival at 10am, the front desk gal, Abrill, made sure I had a clean room with in 10 min! She had suggested I go to the Restaurant on the top floor to wait. I did... and what a view! I was able to use the internet, making the wait very short. Abrill became my angel. She was always there to help me, no matter what the need, including translating to our taxi driver. While the hotel may not be in the best area, I never felt in any danger walking back at 9pm after visiting my husband. It was about 6 blocks. The bellman even walked me to a market. Everybody was extremely accommodating. The location was also blocks from the coastal walkway... and not too far from Costco Viejo.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane T
There are newer reviews for Bahia Suites Hotel

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The staff of the Bahia Suites Hotel was wonderful. From the front desk to the doorman at night and the 6th floor maid, everyone was warm and kind. The rooms are clean. There are no hooks in the bathroom to hang your towel. The bathrooms are worn and the shower nozzle was really like one strong stream out of a garden hose, but hey, you didn't want to pay the price of the Double Tree or any other American chain so role with it.

There is no peep hole on the door. You can't deadbolt your door. The windows are not double pane and yes, it's noisy. Here are two things to bring: ear plugs, your own hot pot/kettle to make instant coffee or tea.

The breakfast was hit or miss to me. The view of the Pacific Ocean and the city from the breakfast area was stunning! The potato egg casserole was awesome the first day. The "interesting" meat dishes and rather watery scrambled eggs the second day weren't so enticing.

The rooftop pool is elevated from the rooftop level. In other words, you can't lounge in front of the pool.

I booked early at a $50 rate. You simply can't beat that. The metro very close to the hotel (Loteria station) will open soon so that will give you additional transportation options. This city has throngs of taxis and it really is the only way to get around. We did take the metro a few stops. It was jam packed but clean and it will help reduce your taxi time. But, I don't believe the metro as it is currently being completed will take you to the Canal, to Casco Antigua or to Panama Vieja. It will take you to Iglesia del Carmen which is the downtown area. From the hotel we took a taxi to Station Cinco de Mayo ($3) then took the metro to Iglesia del Carmen (downtown).

Remember don't walk to Casco Antigua from the hotel. The areas you walk through are not safe (I did it so I know). Pay the $3 each way for the taxi.

Stay at the Bahia Suites but stay prepared.

Room Tip: The 6th floor is stairs accessible to the bar/breakfast room on the top level. Also, ask for a room...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MCOTravelor
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Made the mistake of having family book this hotel for us without reading the reviews. As soon as we left the airport and told the cab driver which hotel to take us to he asked us who chose the hotel and then said that it's located in a rough area and not to venture outside after dark. As soon as you get in the area you can see what he meant as a half-naked prostitute walked right by us.

The bad-The hotel is very old, dark and in rough shape. Rooms are dark, tiny, walls full of cracks and the old air conditioners barely worked. My 6 year old son even commented on the smell of the room (musty). Shower was horrible, a hard stream of water which felt like a pistol on you (see pic). Definitely a lower class hotel that was way over priced. Paid $89 for one night as we had to pay $15 for the cot which there we barely enough room for. Cab driver told us we could get a better hotel in a better area for the same price. Restaurant service was horrible and pool is tiny. The breakfast that's included was not very good. We found egg shells in the scrambled eggs.

The decent-pool was clean and the cheeseburger and spaghetti was good.

Would definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. Most of my reviews on trip advisor are positive so I'm not someone who normally complains but this place was gross. Only reason why we stayed is that we arrived late after a long day of traveling, already paid for a taxi and were leaving at 7:30am the next day.

Avoid this place and spend your money elsewhere.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Poor quality and a bad experience.
No nightstand or light by bed.
Bathroom was dark and moldy.
Had to go get toilet paper.

More info to meet tripadvisor 200 character rerquirement.
The only light in the room was a bare light bulb in the middle of the ceiling.

Room Tip: Recommend Hotel Centroamericano 2 blocks away.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

This place is unbelievable. My father and I had been staying at Hotel Centroamericano a few blocks away when I suggested we book a night at Bahia Suites for a change of scenery, as it was only $10 more for an extra half-star (whatever sense that made). I used my iPhone to book a room for the next night and went to sleep. When we arrived, the gal behind the desk kept looking at the computer and said she couldn't find the reservation, but she was acting strange. I showed the confirmation email to her on my phone, and said we need to check in urgently as we had a long day ahead and needed to put our luggage in our room. Still acting strangely, she said ok and gave us two room keys. We put our luggage into our GROSS, disreapaired room, for which the /only/ lights were oppressive bare compact fluorescents on the ceiling above the beds perfectly positioned to glare into the eyes of anyone lying in his or her back, and ventured out to the Gatun locks and Castillo San Lorenzo, noting the comparative nastiness (not a square foot of clean wall in the building, sketchy arrangement of furniture to conceal holes on walls, etc) of the hotel with its inexplicable extra half-star over the clean, handsome interior of Hotel Centralamericano. When we returned, exhausted, the 20-something gal Abril F. behind the counter signaled us to tell us there was a problem with our reservation and that I should take another look at the confirmation email. I did, and realized that when I booked the room, I had booked it for that night, now the previous night. Because the hotel was so vacant and it was no loss to them, there was an awkward moment when we were confused because it should go without saying that they could understand the mistake and credit us for the night we checked in. This is where things got outrageous. The gal behind the counter, Abril F., absolutely unmistakably took pleasure in announcing to us that no such credit would be given, regardless of the fact that the hotel was half empty at most. When we said okay then, we'll go get our luggage and leave, she took even greater pleasure in informing us that we would not be allowed to recover our luggage from the room it was moved to(!!!) unless we paid for an additional night. There is no way to exaggerate this: her confident extreme snarkiness, her ear-to ear grin, her exaggerated cutesy voice sarcasm, barely suppressing laughter, was unbelievable. This woman is a lunatic. Neither of us could believe our eyes to confront such gratuitous evil. The only way to imagine her mannerisms is to imagine a person finally in a power position relative to some perpetrator of some terrible crime done to her family decades ago. We were exhausted and needed to get to sleep in advance of a long drive the next day, so instead of calling the police, we just handed over a credit card, got new keys, loaded our luggage into our car, and called hotels.com to dispute the charge, a frustrating, fruitless process that exposed multiple lies on the part of the Hotel Bajia Suites staff, most significantly that she necessarily knew the mistake I had made before she allowed us to check in that morning. The dispute was left unresolved because the agent repeatedly telephoned the hotel while I stood in the lobby on hold only for Abril to refuse to answer their calls, all the while grinning from ear to ear as she looked straight into my eyes.

While I disputed the charge in the lobby, my father took a short nap in the room, and I feel that it is important to note that my view of the physical condition of the hotel itself is not colored by this event. Both rooms were absolutely disgusting.

My extremely well traveled father was so put off by this outrageous event that I had to spend the next day convincing him not to fly home early. Neither of us can quit talking about how she acted. We are amazed. Beware!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Bionic-Barnacle
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We are a couple in our early thirties and this place worked perfectly as our 1st stop on a 3 month trip through central America. Wifi didn't work amazingly - if you need it for work then this isn't the place for you. The roof top was comfy and breakfast was varied. We walked to Casco Viejo through the fish market...its a doable walk if you are like us but don't forget to bring some water. Around the corner there is a super fun department store to browse through if you are into that sort of thing. The staff were as helpful as they could be considering we didn't speak any english :)

We used the washer and dryer.

We paid around $50/night. Perfectly inside our budget.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We chose Bahia Suites for their rooftop pool and resturant. Panama City is becoming a vibrant destination and this hotel offered easy access to getting anywhere around the city. Close to Cosco Viejo for old city restorations, history and new updated hotels and restuarants. Rooftop views of city and boats entering the canal were good. Staff helpful and friendly to us with limited Spanish abilities. Front desk excellent. They allowed us to enter our room as soon as it was ready after a long flight from NYC. The neighborhood is improving but caution like any SA city should be assumed. We didn't fear any problem. Suggest taking cabs at night and good security at the hotel. We wanted a pool to relax from the day's heat and we got even more than we expected from the good breakfast to friendly people. A Big OK from us

Room Tip: Floors 5 and 6 are the best. Wifi doesn't work in the rooms too well. Big improvements on the wa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple