“you got your money's worth”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bella Vista

Hotel Bella Vista
Ranked #71 of 117 Hotels in Panama City
“you got your money's worth”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I stayed one night there in August. I had booked a room online for $35, and my very late arrival did not cause any check-in problem. Let me start with the downside of the hotel. The elevator either did not exist or work, and I had to walk up to the sixth floor. There was no food or even a vender machine, so I braced myself by walking several blocks after midnight to find some food on a street. One man made me a sandwich. The bread looked and tasted like an English muffin. He spread butter, and added pulled-back beef, a slice of ham, and an egg. It was delicious. He said it would be $3, but he gave me a coin, which was not a dollar but a half dollar. So it cost $3.5, but the sandwich was nutritious and tasty. The shower was fine, but no towel was provided. The room was clean, but the TV did not work. The saving grace was the working AC. The bed was average. I left my luggage there after I checked out. I had no difficulty retrieving it, although two girls who worked different shifts there did not understand or speak English. The hotel is sandwiched by two hotels. On one side is a bigger and better hotel called “Eurohotel,” where I ate my breakfast for $5. On the side is a smaller and unique pension, which charged $10 an hour. If you finish a city tour, and have no hotel to go, you can take a break there. Overall, I got your money's worth. For better or worse, the hotel is very memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank abuben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

The place seemed reasonably clean, but the elevators were broken. The other side of the hotel, the 'pension' leads to a common hallway, and that charges by the hour, but i the rooms for the less reputable 'pension' side and the 'hotel' side are shared. I laid down for about an hour in the night then woke up, and my pillow and sheets were COVERED in bedbugs of all different stages of development (nymph to adult stages). Many of the bugs were engorged with my blood and when i caught one, it popped and blood went all over the sheets. It was horrifying, and I have a high tolerance for disgusting things. Of course, I ran from the hotel in the middle of the night. They REFUSED to give me a refund and made me pay $45.00 for my room with a broken air conditioner and the bedbugs. Now I have to go through extra 'procedures' when I get home to make sure that any bugs that may have inadvertently got into my luggage are killed. They don't respond well to sprays. Don't normally complain like this, I have stayed in many 1 and 2 star hotels throughout Latin America. This was the worst ever. Now, after sending my clothes to the laundromat for hot wash and dry, I sit in a much nicer hotel, nursing my bedbug wounds.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank n g

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

We checked in there late at night and enjoyed our 2 night stay. It was dead cheap and with all the necessary things like air conditioning, sky TV, Wi-Fi and hot water.
It was not outstanding but much better and cheaper then other hotels in the area - $45 - $80
There is also a night bar next door, which is quite handy for the last drink on the way back from town.
Calle Uruguay is just 5 minutes in the taxi (2 - 3 dollars)
We would definitively stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PavPaignton_England
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Usually I don't write the negative reviews, but this hotel will be one of the exceptions. We spent in it 4 nights in urgent situation (we found in the Tocumen that our online reservation with other B&B was not honured - it is the subject for another review), so we didn't have possibility to make online research. The hotel is not for a long stay - as we told by other people usually it is rented on hourly basis (if you know what I mean). Our room had only two beds, TV, one bulb (very dim light) and one open niche at the entrance for clothes. No table, no chair, no bedside table, no table lamp, no closet. The washroom had only lavatory pan, smal wash-basin and shower. No space for any cosmetic of my wife and daughter, barely space for toothpaste and brush. No glass or cup. One of the beds was so squeacking, that we woked up every time as our daughter turned at night. During 4 days no one cleaned our room or settle our beds (I don't speak even about change of towels or bed linens). The cost of the room was not dirty cheap - $65/night, and this price did not included breakfast. The area around the hotel is not pleasant (we were told that it's not a good neighbourhood, though honestly we didn't feel that we are in danger). But there are dirty and ugly building and streets around. The staff don't speak English at all. Wi-Fi was very so-so (though unfortunately I could say it not only about this hotel, but almost about all hotels we stayed in Panama). At evenings we just didn't know what to do, as after the dinner we didn't want to return to our room. They were our first 4 days at Panama and definitely the trip start was very disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank ilya12000
Shropshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

This was ou first night in Central America and a dreadful start. The hotel let rooms by the hour and one can imagine the reason for this with a red light outside!! The rooms were dark and dingy and the area around the hotel was dismal.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank tryfan
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE. We went to Panama for our honeymoon and chose this hotel based on reviews and was the worst decision ever. We were advised by the taxi driver this is a very unsafe place for tourist but we didn't listen. When we walked into the place it looked weird but walking into the room it just looked filthy. Tried to turn the AC on but there were no buttons and it was falling apart.

This didn't look like a hotel for travelers, I got the impression this is a place for prostitutes (which was later confirmed to us by another taxi driver). We arrived at midnight so we spent a few hours, we didn't even sleep b/c I was afraid someone would walk in and take our stuff.. definitely would not recommend to anyone. We left early to a much better place.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yadyrra
Newfoundland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

$30 for double bed, cable TV, hot water, AC. Room was clean and quiet. Bed was comfortable and new. Hotel staff was friendly. WiFi available and internet access in lobby and next door. Convenient to local bus stop (right outside door) and free shuttle to/from airport ($25 dollar value). Restaurant in lobby. Area seemed safe at night, though I wouldn't wander too far towards the old city. Great Venezuelan restaurant nearby. Lobby is weird and dark and outside of hotel is a bit strange but don't let that put you off. Earlier in the week we paid $39 for a small private room in a hostel with no AC or TV. Compared to that, and even on it's own, it's a great place to stay especially for a "low-end" hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple