“Dirty sheets and rooms, good tours”

Panama Hostel by Luis
Panama Hostel by Luis
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Dirty sheets and rooms, good tours”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

The whole Hostel is very dirty and in general not maintained well. We had an private room and the carpet, bed, fridge were very dirty. The promised warm shower didn't work and the offered towels had an acid smell of an old water tank.
The hostel claims to offer a 24h checkin, which is not the case. Nor do they offer free breakfast as announced on their flyers.

The hostel is in a very secure part of Panama City.
They are offering well organised tours to San Blas Islands.

Personal I can not recommend this place to stay with. And to my opinion they are a rip off for the service offered.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Evanston, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Don't book Panama by Luis - He gave away our private room, even though we booked a room and he replied to our a confirmation email. We assume that normally reservations are processed more smoothly at Luis. However Luis tried to blame us for his mistake.

After having stayed at more than 20 hostels in Central America alone, this is the first time we encountered a hostel owner who treated his customers so impolite.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joppe B

Travellers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2012

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone there! My Boyfriend and I stayed here about a week in a private room with awesome A/C and a shared bathroom (who even cares about a private bathroom, you spend all of 5min in there a day anyways). I arrived in panama city really sick... to be honest I don't remember much of the first few days except how amazing the staff (and other guests) were. As soon as I showed my sick and sweaty face, their first priority was getting me to bed! I was so grateful to be lying down in air conditioning, We had been at another hostel that morning and they were extremely rude, lost our reservation and was absolutely no help to me when I was sick. Everyday the staff and owner at Panama by Luis asked how I was, told us where to go for a reliable doctor, pharmacy...the whole nine yards. The atmosphere is super chill, and really friendly. We made some pretty cool friends there and stayed in panama city longer than we had planned for. It's an older building, but it is cleaned everyday. There's a 24hr supermarket down the street, buses/cabs a minutes walk away...The staff helped us organize our trip to san blas too (which was AWESOME). After 2+ months in central and south america, we found ourselves comparing every place we stayed in to panama by luis... :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DanielleLawless
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Thank you for being so quick to reply to ALL my emails. It was the first time I ever traveled outside the U.S. and I was traveling on my own. Plus I knew VERY little Spanish. I suggest you defiantly speak Spanish if you head to Panamá but don't let it stop you if you don't. I did manage with books & apps and got around very easily but it can be frustrating from time to time. In Panama City lots of people speak English but not many do when you travel through the country. Everyone was very kind and accommodating plus very patient with my learning curve. Panama by Luis was close to many things within walking range or the price of a $3-$5 cab ride. The neighborhood was safe and clean, so were the rooms. The staff was the best, very nice people. I will be back the next time I am in Panama City. The Shuttle pick up at 2:30am at the airport truly started my trip off right and made it easy. Keep up the wonderful job!

• Stayed September 2012
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I booked a single room with bathroom but what I get was a single room with shared bathroom....but both room and bathroom were clean and nice. The staff is helpful and friendly and the hostel is located in a very safe area, never feel uncomfortable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Anna M
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I had my first hostel experience here and was pleased and releaved. I was unsure of what to expect from a hostel but I got here I was happy to see that the place was clean, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I was in a dorm with a bathroom attached. There were lockers, big enough to secure my passport, but not big enough for my backpack. I had a little bit of a problem with the other guests making noise when I was trying to sleep, but when I closed the door I slept comfortably. The upstairs lounge area is nothing special, and neither is the kitchen (a bit small and a main passage way to the dorms, so busy...), but we did get pancakes in the morning. For my first hostel experience this was an eye opening and surprisingly relaxing experience, and compared to some of my later hostel stays, this was a bit of heaven.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
san francisco
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I only stayed one night due to travel reasons, but I had an agreeable enough time at the hostel. The staff were very helpful & friendly (especially Luis--very accommodating), and it has a good location. The conditions are ok (not to mention one bathroom for like 14 people), but then again, for the price, I'd say overall it was a good choice. They have air conditioning which is ESSENTIAL, and a communal kitchen.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo