“good food but expensive”
Review of Maito

Maito
Ranked #41 of 1,078 Restaurants in Panama City
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: International
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 January 2014

we were visiting panama city for three nights. this place was full two nights in a row but we got a reservation for two for the third night. inside the place is really pretty, well decorated, and full of good looking and rich looking people - mix of locals and foreigners. pleasant atmosphere. the staff is nice and attentive. note that menus are in spanish only so bring a dictionary of your spanish is less than great (our waiters didn't speak much english). we ordered three appetizers and they were all amazing. delicate, surprising, and very tasty. so tasty in fact, we couldn't decide which was our favorite! tuna tartar, palmitos salad, and eggplant with pesto. this was a pleasant surprise. unfortunately the mains were much less exciting. salmon was solid but not impressive in any way, and the duck chow mein was imbalanced: too little duck, too much noodles, and the noodles themselves were oddly over-salted. maybe we just didn't pick well and other mains are as amazing as the appetizers, but this was what we had. then, dessert was nice but nothing to write home about, and the meal was super expensive. in sum: I'm happy we went for the lovely atmosphere and the amazing appetizers, but I doubt I'd go back if I had the chance. if I did go back, I would get the same appetizers again (!) and might check this page out first for recommendations of better main dishes.

ps, we had to drive there because it's not exactly in the center of town. we found it quite easily on calle 50 - and appreciated that they have their own parking area with an attendant.

1  Thank xody r

Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Yes, we liked Maito so much, we did a repeat visit; so chose to eat here two, out of seven, nights in Panama. We did the multiple course, menu the second night, but truthfully, we liked the "choose your own appetizer and entree" from the first night better. Food was outstanding; I would return simply for the yuca pasta. English-speaking waiter also swayed our decision to come back. Reasonably priced; better quality for fewer $$$$ than we pay for the higher-end restaurants in Florida. Get a table in the smaller back room, or outside, if you can. Main dining room can be distracting if you're trying to have a quiet/romantic dinner. When, the good Lord willing, we return to Panama, we will eat at Maito again.

2  Thank JJRuchotzke
Reviewed 21 December 2013

A little pricey. The best items based on what we ordered was the grape martini, the entraño, tres leches, flour less chocolate cake. I like that they grow their own vegetables in plain sight. TNot a kid friendly menu but my 6 year old nephew liked the margharita pizza. RSVP is a must. We sat outside and is was pleasant. Evening dress attire is trendy casual for dinner.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

So - this place is very good - but I dont see what the fuss is about. People are raving their faces off about it. I would go back - its very good. But it is a little pretentious, and EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND WOW.

Seriously management - you need some more signs or something to let people know you are close - or maybe we just got a really dumb cab driver....

Value is only OK - but yeah - I would go back so you should probably check this place out, but be realistic - it wont be the best meal of your life

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Third visit it this great restaurant and I'm sorry I have not written a review. All the visits have been great. Food is very well prepared from appetizers to main courses. Service is great and make food taste better. I strongly recommend dining at Maito. Make sure you make a reservation!