“I'm sorry, but it makes absolutely no...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Aromas Cafe
Ranked #509 of 963 Restaurants in Panama City
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: they are in the Casco Antiguo of Panama and they are in facebook as , very nice informal place, to meet people!!! I love It!!!
“I'm sorry, but it makes absolutely no...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I'm sorry, but it makes absolutely no sense that this little cafe is ranked in the top three restaurants in Panama City. It is a cute little place on the outskirts of Casco Veijo, but I really can't say it's exceptional in any way. On the contrary, we went there specifically because of the great reviews, and we were very disappointed.

The lunch specials are posted outside at $3.25 which seems great. My girlfriend ordered the lasagne, one of the specials. It was a tiny portion, which I thought was mean even for $3.25. And personally I'd rather pay more and get a decent helping. However, we were charged $5, as apparently not all lunch specials are the same price. In fairness, it was a very tasty lasagne. Which is more than can be said for my burger, the house special, which sucked.

If you want a cafe, with heart food at reasonable prices, then you'd do better at Cafe Balboa on Avenida Balboa next to Destiny building. It's always busy with both locals and expats. If you want to be in Casco Veijo then there are much nicer restaurants like Casa Blanca!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
aromascafe, Manager at Aromas Cafe, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Gwynj, We would like to apologize with you for the bad experience you had, we post outside in spanish "desde" which means "from" ,now that's not an excuse but it is important to ask about the prices, I had people from many country's and they ask what the prices are, specially if you are not local, and the language is different, that way you'll be satisfy, the Lasagna for $5.00 we consider is in a good range price, I had Lasagna with no flavor at all for $7.00, about the burger people have different opinions and in the 9 months we had in business we didn't receive bad comments, we know is not the best but out of other they consider is ok but not sucked as you want to name it, check the comments that people have on Boulevard Balboa, but all of them, and you'll see they are not perfect and other people had Terrible experiences there too, about Casa Blanca I have no comments for the food, but for $20 to $25 range price, minimun has to be something don't you think? anyway, we didn't choose to be in the top with
only 7 reviews, if you ever come to Panama again, I personally will make sure that you try any other plate at no price because people make mistakes and probably the cook did that day, we are deeply sorry and hope you forget that inconvenient, we didn't want that to happen to you.
Sorry again and have a wonderful weekend!!!
Edwin Torres.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

Went to Aromas twice during my 3-stay in Panama City recently and am dying to go back. The food is so amazing it's hard to believe the chef is only in his 20s, and the owner is incredibly nice and helpful; even recommending other great restaurants in the city. Definitely try the sangria, ceviche, and pretty much anything else on the menu.

Panama City, Panama
“A Pleasure to eat at Aromas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2010

Aromas is a refreshing cafe in an unexpected area. My fiance eats here about 4 days a week and I just tried it for the first time last week and will be going back soon! The specials are always posted out front and are dirt cheap! (around $2.50) You can expect a full belly of fresh food with out emptying your wallet. The menu consists of both Panamanian and American dishes including chicken, seafood, beef, pork, rice and pasta. They also have a full bar. The restaurant and bathrooms are practically spotless. The manager and servers are very prompt and friendly.

Over the rainbow
“Good Food, Good People, Good Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

Aromas is a must go if you are ever in Casco Viejo! Not only are their lunches $2.90 for a great meal, but it will also fill you up. The owners are a fantastic couple that are beyond hospitable. If you go to Panama City without going to Aromas, you are missing out.

St. Paul, MN
“A Great Happy Hour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

We just happened to find this place when we were walking down the street of Casco Viejo. There was a sign for 2-for-1 happy hour, and we needed some cold drinks, so we decided to stop by. We had sangria for 2-for-1, which was very good. We weren't hungry, but just tried the ceviche, which was so tasty. The owner was a Peruvian guy who moved from the US, and we enjoyed talking with him. I would definitely come back here if we ever get a chance to come to Casco Viejo again!