“Spacious rooms with a good quality for price paid”

Hotel Riu Plaza Panama
Ranked #20 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
La Londe Les Maures, France
“Spacious rooms with a good quality for price paid”
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Very clean hotel, comfortable rooms. Free minibar, good free wifi connection. Pool was crowded and expect loud music. Food is at a reasonable price, shrimp fettuccini at the pool was nice for 9,50 $ if you need a night Or 2 Or a business hotel I would-be definitely recommend. Ask for top floors, the road is noisy and rooms not totally soundproof.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Pascale H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Excellent city hotel. We stayed here while in Panama City for 2 nights and found the rooms spacious and clean and the staff very pleasant. The hotel is also centrally located for the waterfront and it is easy to hail a taxi to the sights from there. The breakfast buffet is an absolute delight with freshly prepared dishes and a large variety of local and international foods to sample.

• Stayed December 2013
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is the third time I've stayed in the Riu Plaza Panama and I have never had a bad experience at all. In fact, it's been just the opposite. All my stays have been excellent. The hotel is in a central location, which makes it easy to see the many sites in Panama City. The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms are very spacious, modern and very clean. I've read some reviews about poor service, or slow service, but I can honestly tell you that I have never experienced that at the Riu. When my wife and I checked in last Sunday evening, the gentleman behind the front desk remembered me from my last visit. Before I even handed him my information, he asked me if I stayed at the hotel back in the April/May timeframe, which we did, and he was the same person that checked me in back in April. I thought it was very nice that he remembered me given all the people he must see on a daily basis.

My wife and I stayed for 6 nights during our recent holiday visit and each day we always experienced very friendly, courteous and sincere service, whether it was at breakfast, at the pool bar, or the indoor bar, or the front desk. Whenever we had a question, everyone we encountered was so willing to do what they could to provide us with an answer, recommendation, etc.

The Ibiza Pool Bar is a very nice spot to enjoy a few drinks, especially at night when the pool is light up. They play great music and it's a very nice atmosphere for enjoying some drinks. The indoor bar is also very nice and they have a big projection tv where they are usually playing some type of salsa or tango music videos or concerts. They have live music a few nights during the week as well.

Regarding the food, I can comment on the buffet breakfast and some appetizers at Ibiza. The breakfast was very good. They had everything from fresh eggs, omlets, pancakes to a wide assortment of fruits, breads, cereals and they also had a good assortment of traditional Panamanian breakfast items, all of which were very good. One evening we had a few snacks outside at the pool bar and they were very good. The only thing that we didn't care for was the pizza. It was bad by any means, but I think it was a frozen pizza as opposed to being a fresh made pizza. Other than that, the food we had was good.

The hotel is very bright and has a very nice atmosphere inside the entire building. I've stayed at a few other hotels in Panama City and both my wife and I feel the Riu is one of the better hotels we've stayed at. We travel to Panama every year, and the Riu is the first hotel I will be booking for all future stays. As I mentioned earlier in my review, this recent stay was our third time here, and all three times have been great! I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank estrnmountain
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

If you just don't like mammoth-size hotels, stop reading and don't book here.

But if you can deal with a very large hotel, I can't imagine a better place to stay in Panama City than this one.

There was a little bit of a wait at check-in, but not too bad. When the front desk attendant told us they didn't have a room available with a king-size bed, which we had reserved, I informed her that we wouldn't mind an upgrade. She seemed confused, then talked with another attendant next to her, who took over and gave us an upgraded king-size room.

The room was modern, clean, and spacious.

I wasn't sure how breakfast was going to go, given how large the property is, and how full it seemed to be. But I was not disappointed. There was a huge dining hall that accommodated everyone pretty well, and the ample selection on the buffet was visually appealing and delicious. The one minor criticism I had was that the hotel might not have had enough staff on duty in the dining hall; no one came by to offer us coffee - I had to get a waiter's attention.

The business center was fine. I had some documents I needed to print. I sent them to an email, and an attendant printed them for me without too much of a delay.

And though the hotel has a taxi stand/car service, I would go with a taxi. We used the car service associated with the hotel, which was of course more expensive but not necessarily more convenient - the only convenience was not having to wait at all, but I'm sure I wouldn't have had to wait very long for a regular taxi.

Speaking of ground transfers, we took a white taxi to the hotel from the airport. The cost was $28. The cost of the hotel's car service (which for us ended up being a Toyota HIACE van, driven rather maniacally) was $35.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank diploconcierge
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Perfect service. Ocean view. Pool is nice to hang out.
But the steam room is not working the last 7 days...in case you need it at 32°c...
We will come back!
The breakfast buffet is good and a lot!!!
....................

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The hotel is the worst of all I stayed in my life. It was booked for me by Copa Airlines for changes in flight schedule.

While the rooms are nice, the service is horrible. Receptionist is rude. It is one of those hotels where they pre-authorize your credit card and make you sign a blanket authorization at check in. The fun part starts when you check out, confirming at the reception your final charges, and a few days later start discovering all sort of extra charges made by the hotel at their own discretion. All of those of course are unjustified and I am in the process of claiming the reimbursement either from Copa or from my credit card issuer. Dishonest and nasty. Avoid this Hotel in Panama City.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank tripbyr
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Really enjoyed staying here. I checked in one night at around 4am without a reservation and was planning on only staying the night. The room and staff really impressed me and I ended up staying for 4 nights.

The rooms were very clean and from our room we could see the water which was nice.

Definitely will stay here again when I'm in Panama City and traveling with my girlfriend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple