“Great Business Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Rome, Italy
“Great Business Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

This hotel is newer, modern, and well located in downtown Panama City. Although I didn't venture out much, the area seems pretty safe, although if you are looking for a beach vacation this might not be the place for you.

I was upgraded to a suite by surprise which really set the tone for my trip. They also brought me a fruit tray and cookies on my first night! The suite was very spacious and large. My only two minor complaints were that the TV in the bedroom didn't work and the tub didn't have jacuzzi jets. Since I was working and not in my room a lot, I didn't complain. Overall though, the room was quite comfortable.

The rest of the hotel facilities seemed very nice. The breakfast buffet was huge with an amazing selection of everything from donuts with nutella to nachos, fresh juices, an omelet station, etc. I did not check out the pool or gym during this stay so cannot comment on those.

All the staff I encountered was friendly and overall I had a short but sweet stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank monika992

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

This is a really nice hotel. The drawbacks are in their approach to service. The front desk makes commitments they don't keep, and there are some odd deficiencies in other services. For example, while I was at the gym, my room was made up. I came back and was about to get in the shower, but at the last moment noticed there were no towels. The staff was still in the hall, but she had to go get some for me as she had obviously run out.
In addition, the gym had run out of terry and paper towels and water, and was consistently way too warm for a workout.
The water was supposed to be potable but tasted mouldy.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

we stayed 5 days at this hotel in the financial district of Panama City. Everything about this hotel is excellent. The breakfast which was included was the best I've experienced, A huge selection, great presentation and all very tasty. The room is very clean and the staff do an excellent job very day. A good selection of TV Channels in English. The pool area is a nice place to spend a day or an afternoon and the adjoining restaurant is a nice place for a snack., We arranged two tours through the concierge and they worked out very well (try to ask for a guide in your native language), All staff friendly and helpful. Spoil yourself stay here.

Room Tip: Hallways are long and you might ask for a room near the elevator if walking is an issue.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

To start with the positive, the customer service at the check-in desk was fantastic. We were welcomed in a very courteous and friendly manner. Also, the complimentary breakfast is excellent value - extensive selection of items in the buffet.

The downside of this hotel is that they try to get your money other ways once you're staying there. Yes, the rooms are cheap, but the cafe in the hotel is completely overpriced, as is the fancy restaurant and the "sushi" "restaurant." Don't expect a sushi restaurant as advertised. It's actually a bar/lounge with giant TV and performance stage that happens to serve "sushi" along with the drinks. And the "sushi" is what I must assume is the hotels best attempt at Japanese cuisine. I think one offering was a chicken roll.

Dishonest server at the pool bar put bad taste in my mouth. We asked him how much a bottle of water was and he said $3. We asked him if there was a cheaper one, and he said no. So, we took the $3 water. When we looked at the receipt they were $4.

Seriously misleading "complimentary" mini bar policy. The only thing in the mini bar is one bottle of water. We called about the empty mini bar, and they confirmed: the only supposed to be in the mini bar is one bottle of water. Don't call it a free mini bar - just call it a free bottle of water.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ventnor City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was our first visit to Panama. We stayed at this hotel based on other reviews, and we are glad we did. The hotel is new and modern with a very nice pool. We had a room on a high floor with a great view of the city. The front staff and restaurant staff were all very friendly, attentive and helpful. But the absolute top strength of the hotel is the breakfast. if I could give it 6 stars I would. I am not usually a big breakfast person but they had such a huge variety that it was impossible to not find something you would like - such as a huge variety of fresh and dried fruit and nuts, cheeses/yogurt, breads, cereals, pastries, a big salad bar which included several types of meat/poultry, made to order omelettes, pancakes, stir fried chicken and vegetables, lox, yogurt, ham, sausage, and that is not a complete list!
We also liked the location of our hotel. We were in walking distance of lots of shops and good restaurants.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room wtih a good view, and were given a very nice room on the 26th floor. other...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
southern california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Me and my companion stayed 4 nights and considering my past experience with Riu properties, I was not disappointed. A Spanish chain the does things a bit classier than your average American brand. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and nicely decorated. The breakfast is fabulous and is included. It is big, over 600 rooms in 30 stories. One drawback was location. Pretty central to business yet no nightlife or dining within walking distance.(Pizza hut and KFC does not count) Traffic can also be horrible on the blvd in front of the hotel. A number of times we just walked out of there to go shopping, eat ,ect. My last though, I wish they were in El Congrejo district. Then they would have me as a loyal regular.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rancho Santa Fe, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

The Hotel Riu Panama is one of a Latin America chain previously unknown to me. Compared to the many Hiltons, Sheratons, and Hyatts I have stayed in, this hotel surpasses them in all metrics. It is very large, thirty stories, with a huge elegant lobby. Our room and fully tiled bath were large with a comfortable sitting area and writing desk.
The most amazing attraction was breakfast in a very large high-cielinged room with over one hundred tables. The food was buffet style in another room. There were easily one hundred different dishes offered, including an omellet-to-order station.
The hotel is perfect for a big city; full service, efficient, clean, and elegant.

• Stayed February 2014