“Do not stay at this hotel... ”

Hotel Riu Plaza Panama
Ranked #20 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Panama City, Panama
“Do not stay at this hotel... ”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I'm checking out today.. The service at this hotel and the attitude of the staff is truly bad...

They got around to cleaning my room at 5 in the afternoon, only after I rang and asked to speak to the manager, a Mr Carlos, who refused to speak to me or call me back.

I stayed in 3312, nice room, but had much better in other hotels.

Don't try the food from room service, Not Good.

The staff here think they are doing you a favor by letting you stay here.

Like I said.. Will never return..

Will try trump hotel in a few weeks.. And let you know..

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MrKevinMitchell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here over valentines day weekend and it was a very nice hotel. Had an awesome breakfast buffet included and the pool area was very nice. Especially at night. It's a large hotel, but still good value. Good location. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a week with my son and his wife and their 9 month old baby. We each had a suite (lounge, separate bedroom, large bathroom with an enormous separate shower, guest toilet,) which was very comfortable and clean. Our rooms were on a high floor so we had an amazing view. There was a problem with the air conditioning in one of our rooms but it was fixed pretty much straight away. The breakfast buffet is abundant to say the least. As we had breakfast relatively early we could sit on the terrace outside facing the pool. The breakfast restaurant is quite large and tends to get rather noisy. The pool itself and the pool area are very clean and there are plenty of sun-loungers and towels. A good place to relax. The hotel has several restaurants and a coffee shop (which also does take-away). Tried the sushi one night from the Sushi Lounge. Unfortunately this was not the best sushi. In general the food in the hotel is pretty average (apart from breakfast). The staff are very friendly and it helps if you speak Spanish. I requested a late check-out (6pm) which was not a problem, however they did charge me US$50. The hotel charges US$10/hour after 1pm if you want to keep your room. Overall we had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Not enough can be said about this hotel. The breakfast that's inlcuded in the room price is next level. The staff is friendly and courteous. The rooms are spacious, the bathoom is roomy with an awesome shower. The lunch menu is reasonably priced. The drinks a little expensive though but are tasty. A few things I would change is there is a frosted style glass separating the bathroom from the sleeping area. If one person wants to go to the bathroom and others are asleep the light will wake them up. There is a coffee pot in the room but no coffee was supplied. The transport company outside is overpriced and the canal tour provided by the hotel at a cost is little more than an expensive cab ride. Do not use them. The yellow cabs are cheaper, the drivers are friendly, courteous and surprisingly honest. Invest five dollars to go to the nearby mall. The supermarkets are very nice and the mall is beautiful! The police are everywhere but take any normal precautions. If you rent a car note that the others drivers are crazy! Overall, this hotel is awesome!

1 Thank Mike O
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here for the second part of our two week holiday in Panama. The first week we had stayed in Casco Antiguo but this hotel and area were completely different. We stayed in a suite and it was absolutely huge! On the first night we were brought a welcoming gift of fruit and biscuits. We regularly had a phone call from the front desk asking us how our stay was. The breakfast choice was astonishing, everything you could possibly ever eat! The food in the pool bar and room service were also very good. We ate in the hotel's Taste restaurant one night and it was unfortunately the only disappointing part of the hotel. I always thought linguini was pasta not super noodles!! The pool was great and the bar was fantastic. Possibly some of the best cocktails I've ever had! As we stayed in a suite, we also had access to the executive lounge which offered free drinks and snacks throughout the day. We didn't venture that far from the hotel but there was a range of bars, restaurants/cafes nearby and a shopping mall.

Room Tip: A suite was not that much more expensive than other rooms, definitely recommend as it comes with lot...
2 Thank Lainee_Ashton
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This hotel is newer, modern, and well located in downtown Panama City. Although I didn't venture out much, the area seems pretty safe, although if you are looking for a beach vacation this might not be the place for you.

I was upgraded to a suite by surprise which really set the tone for my trip. They also brought me a fruit tray and cookies on my first night! The suite was very spacious and large. My only two minor complaints were that the TV in the bedroom didn't work and the tub didn't have jacuzzi jets. Since I was working and not in my room a lot, I didn't complain. Overall though, the room was quite comfortable.

The rest of the hotel facilities seemed very nice. The breakfast buffet was huge with an amazing selection of everything from donuts with nutella to nachos, fresh juices, an omelet station, etc. I did not check out the pool or gym during this stay so cannot comment on those.

All the staff I encountered was friendly and overall I had a short but sweet stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank monika992
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This is a really nice hotel. The drawbacks are in their approach to service. The front desk makes commitments they don't keep, and there are some odd deficiencies in other services. For example, while I was at the gym, my room was made up. I came back and was about to get in the shower, but at the last moment noticed there were no towels. The staff was still in the hall, but she had to go get some for me as she had obviously run out.
In addition, the gym had run out of terry and paper towels and water, and was consistently way too warm for a workout.
The water was supposed to be potable but tasted mouldy.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room.