“A Quaint Little Lodge in Panama”
Review of Hostal Casa Areka

Hostal Casa Areka
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Felt very informed with constant communication with the owner via email. He was hospitable and accommodating. Our requests and queries were met with a genuine eagerness to assist. The amenities were average; catered for basic needs and maybe a little luxury with the air-con, TV and Wi-Fi. The location was quite central; only 30 minutes drive from the airport (PTY) - the owner did insist on sending us a private car (USD30.00 - same as taxi) but we were not able to arrange that due to a lack of Internet access on our end. Casa Areka is only a 5-minute taxi ride away from the Old Town and about 15 minutes from the Panama Canal (for those interested). There is a 24-hour convenience store (Super 99) right across the road. We did all our grocery shopping there. Prices were very reasonable and cheap for established brand names (speaking as an Australian). Wish we were here for longer than 3 nights. Casa Areka made us feel welcomed and fully accommodated our needs. A quaint little place to stay, it made our experience in Panama City a pleasant one.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yen L

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed in Casa Areka during my 24 hour layover in Panama City. It's close to the airport so I didn't have problems going back to the airport in time. The owner (Oswald) is very friendly and nice enough to show me everything about Panama in a glance on the hostel's creative board. Two best facts that I liked the most with Casa Areka: (1) It is located infront of Supermarket99 (open 24hrs); (2) Their kitchen is awesome!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed here back in March. The location was excellent, don't get fooled into staying in Casco Viejo because that is super far from anything, this place was right on Punta Pacific near everything. There is a huge super across the street but it was quiet at night. The room was awesome, AC, cable, awesome WIFI, and Oswald was a super friendly dude. I recommend 100 percent, also Panama City is great in general.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I ended up here after the previous hostel had no room for me. It turned out to be pretty nice. The kitchen was well setup and stocked. The bathroom and shower setup is weird, though. I think the shower was in the owner's private room? I wasn't sure.

I'm not blaming them, but due to my lack of Spanish at the time, there was some confusion when I was trying to get my room key and sort a few things out as the one guy running the place at that time knew zero English. Like I said, I'm not faulting the hostel for that!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This was our first stop off the plane from the US and the owner arranged for a cab for us from the airport which was $30. My girlfriend and I found our entrance intimidating but found a pleasant room with its own bathroom and good AC. The next morning the owner took it upon himself to drop us off (in heavy traffic) at the rental car agency. He was very accommodating and friendly and made us feel welcome, we would recommend this hostel for any traveler.

Room Tip: Be prepared if arriving late that the owner may not be their to greet you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed in a private room and the room was okay although the ensuite smelled and was not very nice. I really didn't like the location, we were only supposed to be there a night but had to stay for 3 waiting for lost luggage and massively regretted booking this place by the end of it. Oswald was friendly and quite helpful however

When we came back to Panama we stayed at Panamericana and would recommend staying in that area

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

The hostel is next to a 24supermarket which is excellent! Oswald is really friendly and tries to help where ever he can.

The rooms are not as nice as on the pics in the internet. Ours was really old and the price wasn't fair. We found out that a other couple has to pay for a nicer room 5-10$ per night less than we had to pay. Looks like they do not have a common price politic.

The Garden could be a wonderful place to meet other people but unfortunately they did not invest a single minute of their time to make it to a nice place.

• Stayed: February 2013