“Good location”

DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City
Ranked #29 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Double Treee for only two nights. Our room was spacious and clean, no issues with towels as others have had. Upon arrival a welcome cookie was promised to be delivered to our room. .... Our room lacked a hair dryer and tried calling the reception desk; the phone rang multiple times but no one ever answered. My husband made a special trip to the reception desk to ask about the hair dryer and noticed a basket of cookies. He asked for our welcome cookie as they never delivered it to our room. They did give him a hair dryer as well as an additional cookie. later while we were in the lobby we asked the concierge if she could recommend a place to have dinner; to our shock, she directed us to "ask the taxi driver," as she had no idea! The pool was nice but not cleanest. We recommend a very nice cafeteria for breakfast or a quick meal two or three blocks from the hotel. Restaurante Costa Azul serves locals with basic international fare. For breakfast we ordered stack of fresh pancakes, fresh fruit and juice. Prices very reasonable. The DoublecTree hotel is acceptable and offers good basic and clean comfort, their service however, has room for improvement.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I loved this place. I travel a lot for my job and what I got here for $50 a night was outstanding.
The room was very nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable with 5 high quality pillows. The maid service was excellent. I don't watch a lot of TV but it was a really nice one with a lot of channels (English too). The A/C worked great. It had a nice safe, a big closet and the shower was very nice. I can't think of anything I disliked about the room.
They have a very friendly English speaking staff at the front desk who were all very helpful and efficient. Taxis were right outside if you needed one along with a little convenience store across the street to get water and snacks.
I guess the only complaint I'd say I had about the place was the hot tub. Or I guess I should call it the warm tub. I like them really hot (I keep mine at 105). I don't expect a hotel to do that...but at least 100, jeez. This thing was about 92. I was actually getting cold in it. And the bench was so high the water was barely above your belly button. I think this is the norm for Latin America though.
I see complaints about the food but I didn't eat anything here so I can't say.
All in all I was very pleased with my stay and I would come back to this hotel again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Breakfast : Even though it was included in price, it was terrible. Eggs under cooked/runny, breads and rolls day or two old, coffee was very very weak , juices watered down, I won't go on, it was just bad, bad, bad. We stayed over the weekend, noticed on Monday breads were fresher.

Internet: Very very slow or non-existing depending on what room you were in. We had two rooms. Ours worked but non-existing in the other room.

Room: Clean and modern. My biggest complain windows only had a very sheer white curtain that closed all the way. The drapes didn't close. So the bright light from the street lite you room all night. Air conditioner would blast every five minutes for a minute and then turn off.

Bathroom: Clean, nice big shower. 2 Bath Towels were changed on the 3rd night.

Front Desk Service: Friendly and tried to be helpful. However, we reserved 2 rooms with 2 beds in both. Got one room with king size bed and the other with 2 beds. They said they had nothing else available.
Requested a map of near by restaurants and they didn't have anything. Asked for brochures of possible tours we could take and they didn't have anything. Asked for a small map of area and they said they were out. Warm Cookie was excellent!

Location: Good, close to restaurants and shopping. It was no way close to the "old City" or the beach. A very very very long walk. Taxi was $10.00 one way, so that gives you an idea how far it was. Need to know that sidewalks are old and not at all level. Some large holes periodically. No Street lights at night. Many times you need to walk in the very busy street. So walking at night was a challenge.

Pool Restaurant: No one around. Waited 1/2 hour and no one came, we left.

Would not stay here again, even though we are Hilton Members. There are too many other hotels in the area that are priced the same and much better.

Room Tip: Ask for higher level, so you won't hear street noise, Maybe street lights won't be as bright...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ccvr
Reviewed 18 March 2014

It's a Hilton, everything was spotless and up to Hilton standards. The front desk was very helpful with finding restaurants, casinos and transportation (everything they recommended was great).We were walking distance to restaurants and casinos and only at most a $15.00 cab ride to most attractions. My only complaint was when we went to the pool bar for a drink, there was a language barrier with the waiter, but it took 20 minutes to get a drink (the worst Mojito I have every had) and my friend got the wrong drink, another 15 minutes and he still wasn't back with the right drink, we just left. She never got her drink and mine was undrinkable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

This is a nice 7 story hotel in the center of the business district The rooms are decent sized for Latin America. The restaurant is good for breakfast. The only downside is the upkeep of the hotel could be better. In our room the shower didn't drain well and the audio jack in the elliptical machine didn't work. There are about 5 restaurants in walking distance. It should be noted that there is some red light activities occurring in the area. But for the money this is a good value.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed here one night on our layover from Aruba to Los Angeles. This is a very nice hotel and the staff was super-friendly!! They gave all of us cookies and upgraded us to a suite - I am a Hilton Honors Gold member. It is in a great location for walking to restaurants and other places. It is very clean and quiet.

The hotel is not near the airport and we reserved a rental car before arriving to drive to the hotel. The freeway is the best way to Panama City from the airport AND YOU MUST HAVE A GPS OR YOU WILL GET LOST. There are very very very few street signs in Panama City (and Panama as a matter of fact), so just having a paper map will not help - YOU WILL GET LOST WITHOUT A GPS; TRUST ME ON THIS. If you take the freeway to Panama City, be sure to have at least $10 on hand so that you can pay the tolls - there are about 3 of them. When you get to the first toll, ask them to give you a toll pass so that you can put the $10 on it and just flash the toll pass when you get to the next toll booths. If you are driving on the freeway between the airport and Panama City at night,there is no one at the toll booth and no place to insert money - at least that is what we saw when heading back to the airport at 4am to catch
our flight. So, make sure that you have enough money on the toll pass to get you to Panama City and back to the airport. You can take the city streets to Panama City from the airport, but just beware of all of the crazy drivers and all of the traffic. They appear not to have any rules of the road on the streets.

One more thing! If you want to visit the Panama Canal tourist area, you must be there before 5pm - they absolutely will not let you in after 5pm. They close at 5!! If you can't make there by 5pm, you can still see some of it and where the ships enter. Just drive up the road from the main entrance, about 3-5 miles, until you see the train tracks and a fence on the left side of the road. There is parking there and you can watch lots of activity.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ILoveToRoam
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Hotel is OK - quiet - walking to all my locations - but the breakfast - YUCK - 2 prepaid breakfasts were only fit for animals - walk about 4 blocks around the corner on Via Espana to the very large REY supermarket - get yogurt, fresh fruit, very good deli sandwiches, BBQ cooked chickens, etc - was very disappointed with "typical Panamian food" - I live in Mexico - this food sucks.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo