“Great hotel, very friendly service and local shuttle.”

DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City
Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Panama City
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel, very friendly service and local shuttle.”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Spacious room. Central location. Very friendly service in the bar and restaurant. Nice area which feels safe and close to some great restaurants. There is however some construction of a new mass transit system that causes trafic jams. The hotel has drivers that will drive to local destinations. Would recommend.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 4 April 2014

A 5-star property it is not. But if that is what we had been seeking, then we could have paid the 2x 3x 4x or 5x room rate differential and stayed at another hotel with all the nice but usually unnecessary amenities. We initially stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton Panama City in August, 2013 and then a second time in January, 2014. Although it's probably not particularly productive to compare this property to its same brand in the US, if we chose to do so, then it would stand up at least as favorably as more than 50% of the US brand. I travel throughout the 50 states and have frankly stayed in some lower-end Hilton Family properties, let alone a DoubleTree property or two. It's really all about why one selects a hotel and how it meets expectations. The DoubleTree delivered on mostly all of what we had expected.

We had decided upon not incurring the expense, hassle and liability of a rental vehicle since our plan was to primarily remain within the confines of Panama City proper. We had researched the hotel and had learned that there was a tour desk in the lobby from which we could obtain an English-speaking driver/guide at reasonable rates. This turned out to be an excellent decision. We always first seek out a Hilton Family property, and after visiting the web pages of this, as well as other non-Hilton hotels, for the price and expected product, there was no question. The DoubleTree appeared by far to be the best value. We wanted to be within reasonable walking distance of an array of restaurants, bars, shops and the water. We wanted an outdoor pool to enjoy some sun if we tired of touring. We wanted a dining and drinking option on property. We wanted to be only a short ride from most major attractions, including the Canal and Old Panama. The DoubleTree appeared to be in a good location and fit all our criteria...so we stayed there.

With few exceptions, they delivered on all counts. The rooms were nothing to write home about but were comfortable, spacious, clean and quiet. The buffet breakfast available in the hotel's restaurant was predictably DoubleTree, varied only slightly daily but was much better than average. The staff were helpful, friendly and professional to a fault. The rooftop pool/hot tub served its purpose, but it was better when the upstairs bar was open during my second stay. The singular weak service area involved the bar. How does one offer a gin or vodka tonic without tonic...or limes? I finally went to a nearby grocery store and bought small bottles of tonic which I brought down each time I wanted a drink :-) All in all, though, the DoubleTree by Hilton Panama City was a excellent value. and we hope it remains so.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eelSeattle
Chicago, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Below average customer service. The restaurant has bad food and it took three waitresses to order, food and get a check. The Hilton Garden is a way better run place, 5 minutes away. If this happens being a Diamond at Hilton, I can't imagine a regular traveler experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed for 7 days and we enjoyed our stay, the rooms are clean and very confortable, the internet Works but not always on thé rooms. The breakfast buffet Is not very good. We really liked going at thé pool and jaccuzi on thé roof Of thé hôtel . The pool Is very clean thé Spa Is comfy. Not to much stade to hide from the sun. The service at thé pool to have à drink Is very poor, you have to call at thé restaurant to ask for à drink and it takes after a very Long Time for your drink. The staff Is very nice and helpful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was a decent hotel for under $100 a night in Panama City, Panama, but not up to US DoubleTree standards. Our biggest complaint was that the hot tub was tepid at best, and they said they could not fix it. We booked this hotel based on the photo of the rooftop pool, hot tub, and bar. (Choose these amenities instead of a free breakfast.) The tub was tepid, there was space for a bar, but no set up or service. The pool was OK, and the view pretty good. But we did not have the "relaxing nighttime experience" we were hoping for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bocas Town, Panama
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Double Treee for only two nights. Our room was spacious and clean, no issues with towels as others have had. Upon arrival a welcome cookie was promised to be delivered to our room. .... Our room lacked a hair dryer and tried calling the reception desk; the phone rang multiple times but no one ever answered. My husband made a special trip to the reception desk to ask about the hair dryer and noticed a basket of cookies. He asked for our welcome cookie as they never delivered it to our room. They did give him a hair dryer as well as an additional cookie. later while we were in the lobby we asked the concierge if she could recommend a place to have dinner; to our shock, she directed us to "ask the taxi driver," as she had no idea! The pool was nice but not cleanest. We recommend a very nice cafeteria for breakfast or a quick meal two or three blocks from the hotel. Restaurante Costa Azul serves locals with basic international fare. For breakfast we ordered stack of fresh pancakes, fresh fruit and juice. Prices very reasonable. The DoublecTree hotel is acceptable and offers good basic and clean comfort, their service however, has room for improvement.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Novato, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I loved this place. I travel a lot for my job and what I got here for $50 a night was outstanding.
The room was very nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable with 5 high quality pillows. The maid service was excellent. I don't watch a lot of TV but it was a really nice one with a lot of channels (English too). The A/C worked great. It had a nice safe, a big closet and the shower was very nice. I can't think of anything I disliked about the room.
They have a very friendly English speaking staff at the front desk who were all very helpful and efficient. Taxis were right outside if you needed one along with a little convenience store across the street to get water and snacks.
I guess the only complaint I'd say I had about the place was the hot tub. Or I guess I should call it the warm tub. I like them really hot (I keep mine at 105). I don't expect a hotel to do that...but at least 100, jeez. This thing was about 92. I was actually getting cold in it. And the bench was so high the water was barely above your belly button. I think this is the norm for Latin America though.
I see complaints about the food but I didn't eat anything here so I can't say.
All in all I was very pleased with my stay and I would come back to this hotel again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo