“Great Walking Location”

Ranked #29 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great Walking Location”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

As a Hilton Honors Member, the Doubletree Hotel was gracious enough to accommodate us at the same rate when its sister hotel's grand opening was delayed. The staff was friendly and most spoke English. The room was clean and ice cold, a welcome retreat from the humid day. In the morning we could hear the church bells on the hour and it was beautiful. The Metro is a block away. The morning buffet was delicious but most of all, it was easy and safe to walk around this part of the city and to park along the Bay of Panama. There's a fantastic Brazilian Steak House about a block away toward the Bay. Ask for directions. We stopped for a drink and wish we hadn't already eaten. It smelled amazing! We'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RealEstateScorecard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I believe that we made the correct choice in choosing the DoubleTree Hotel. The stay was excellent because of the good staff and the enjoyable breakfast. We believe we had value for money. Even the Taxi service was good.

2 Thank Desmond S
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Was here a couple of years ago, and things are still very, very good. My room (5th floor) had an excellent view, everything was working just as expected. WiFi was just fine, breakfast really good; the restaurant offers a buffet lunch, it was OK and not pricey (15 $), the service perfect - with a smile.
Great

Room Tip: Room on 5th or 6th floor are quieter and with a great view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
FT MYERS
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked in for 2 days to check this out and intended moving to cheaper "digs" . I was so happy I ended up staying ther my entire stay. Very clean central and staff friendly . The hotel id idealy located fronting Via Espania and close to metro station . Facing towards the Eglesia Del Carmen it is an area which is improving ,for example once all the paving is complete most places can be reached on foot. You could walk to Costa Azul a genuine Panamanian café, jimmys for a good steal or Corvna grilled or fried which is excellent. You also have the Golen Arches ( Mc Donalds ) afew minutes walk away . I tried the smoke house just opposite the hotel but found service slow and food just mediocre . A big attraction for a hotel in city center is the roof top pool with fairly good space to relax and enjoy the sun. Waiter service is slow and there are only 2 elevators in hotel . As a person who knows Panama fairly well ,I LIKED THIS HOTEL AND INTEND TO STAY THERE AGAIN for 10 days whilst on business.

Room Tip: Get one on the side or at rear of hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank DON D
Miami, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was on a business trip and I could not access the Internet anywhere in the hotel. Therefore, no e-mail access! Fix the Internet!! Other than the terrible Internet signal the hotel location is very good, the staff very friendly, the food is good and overall a very good value.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is the second time we stay in this hotel in Panama city. we love this hotel, it is clean, the staff are very helpful, there is a underground parking is very useful. the breakfast is good, the staff is excellent. this hotel is located in the center of Panama city and next to the new Metro link.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I spent the last night of my 9 day Panama vacation at the DoubleTree on Via Espana. When I arrived they upgraded my room to a suite and had chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine waiting on me for my anniversary. The room was decent, clean and relatively spacious. we had a corner room on the 3rd floor and it faced Via Espana. Try to get something in the interior to avoid the traffic and construction noise. This was a negative. I had a few other frustrations: I had to take a cold shower (not even luke warm), when I went to take my shower there were no washcloths and I had to wait 20 mins for someone to bring them only to have them not bring the correct size towel after I had specified 2x on the phone. So another 15 min wait to take my cold shower. We relied on the front desk for directions to Albrook airport by car, to nearby restaurants, and a grocery store. Each time they gave terrible directions and we got lost. This was particularly frustrating when driving to the airport because we waited 30+ mins trying to get to the aiport and return our rental car! No Bueno!! We received free breakfast te next morning but it was lackluster and relatively cold. Overall this stay was subpar and I'm glad I opted to stay at the Waldorf Astoria on Calle 47/Uraguay the first 5 days of my stay before heading to the beach. We were treated like ROYALTY in the other two hotels. If you're traveling for business I suppose this hotel would do, but not for an extended vacation.

Room Tip: Stay on the interior facing opposite Via Espana
1 Thank AB627