“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #39 of 79 Panama City B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you are looking for a traditional hotel/concierge/city experience, this isn't the place. However, for the non traditional traveler, this is a warm, economical option for a vacation in Panama City. It's a private home in a quiet residential neighborhood, a couple of blocks from the bus stop/taxi's. Ciro and his Mother have the upstairs; guest rooms/kitchen/bathrooms are on the main floor and you're given a front door key and a key to your room. It's not fancy, but it's comfortable. Ciro speaks fantastic English and he and his Mother went above and beyond to make sure I had everything I needed and got the most out of my vacation. The other guests were friendly, respectful. I stayed 5 nights~the only draw back was 3 nights of cold showers! I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Jamaraka Homestay again :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank CaliKara

Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stayed there 4 nights, everything was clean and comfortable, the kitchen was fully equipped, and it was a really chilled out place. But above all the owners are really welcoming and will give you some usefull tips on what you can do in Panama! I definately recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank r2ots
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I was actually staying in Las Tablas, Panama with my mother during Carnival, and met Ciro and some of the other people staying at Jamraka Homestay during the festivities. I had such a blast! I wanted to see some of the city and decided to stay at Jamraka Homestay for a few nights before going back home. Ciro (who speaks perfect English and is very easy on the eyes) is extremely knowledgeable and was such a help! He made arrangements to provide rides to/from locations and the airport making sure everyone got to where they needed to be at the right times. The home is very welcoming with many bathrooms and kitchens, and many areas to relax. The neighborhood is very safe and is in walking distance to the causeway. I would definitely recommend a stay here whether just passing through or for longer durations for school/work/etc.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Malori N
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed at Jamraka Homestay for a total of five nights on two occasions, at the beginning and end of our month in Panama. By the end we felt we had got to know Ciro and his mother really well (a testament to how friendly and welcoming they are.) Ciro's English is flawless, and he gave us some great tips on what to see locally, as only someone born and bred in the city could. We were able to leave our main luggage here while we went to Contadora Island for a few days, which was a big help, and we were made to feel that nothing was too much trouble.
The room was comfortable with a good fan, and we had the run of the kitchen and use of two shared showers, as well as a cosy lounge with cable TV. The garden is large and pleasant, and the area is an oasis of green calm in what can be a noisy, built-up city.
We arrived on a late flight, and Ciro's directions from a local pizza restaurant didn't mean anything to the cab drivers at the airport. They got us to the right neighbourhood eventually, and we found the house after a while, but it wasn't easy in the dark, and getting a map printed off in advance, or very clear directions might be a good idea.
We really enjoyed our time here, and would thoroughly recommend it to someone looking for a safe, quiet home-from-home in a bustling city, but within a short cab ride of the old quarter and within walking distance of the causeway. A great find.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richrob68
Southern NH
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Jamraka homestay a step above a hostel. Casilda and her son Ciro own and run the homestay, and they do make it feel like home. They were absolutely wonderful hosts and made us feel like we were part of their family. Ciro is a gem, speaks beautiful English, and was incredibly helpful with every aspect of the house and in getting around Panama City. He offered wonderful suggestions about things to see and do. Casilda is a delight, and was absolutely wonderful. She is learning English and would be delighted to practice on you. In addition, the neighborhood is wonderful--safe, beautiful, interesting, and quiet. Jamraka is not fancy but has all that non-traditional travelers need. If you are looking for a great experience with wonderful people, Jamraka is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 14 February 2011

This place is a cross between a hostel and a homestay, located in a residential neighborhood. Very comfortable, with wifi, a washer and clothes line, kitchen use, bath towels, a place in the room to hang your clothes and put your belongings, with accessible hosts and a nice backyard, walking distance from little grocery stores and restaurants. I stayed here for several days with my son and would stay again if I ever found myself in Panama City again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I have been staying at the Jamraka Homestay for two of the three months I have been in Panama.
The owners, Ciro and his mother Catchi, are the sweetest people! I was worried about finding an affordable place to stay with my little dog while buying a boat in Panama, and I found this gem!
Its like staying with your family, they are so helpful and welcoming, they do so much to make your time here easy and fun. The rooms are private, the space is clean(Catchi is always cleaning!) and the neighbourhood is clean and green and safe. I have seen so many amazing birds, and animals just looking in the garden here...there is a nice little park out side the door, and Amador causeway is walking distance.Cerro Ancon is right outside the door... All parts of the city are within a 3 dollar cab ride
Ciro is fun and so friendly and knows loads about Panama city and where to go and what to do.
It is really been a pleasure to stay here and I will miss them when Im gone for sure!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business