“best location in casco viejo!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Antigua

Casa Antigua
Ranked #16 of 85 Panama City B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“best location in casco viejo!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed in the Chagres, which has the best view with a double balcony! The room was nice and clean, but the bathroom could use some updating. The shower barely worked, but we didnt complain, so maybe it could have been fixed? We were just so excited to have the view, we did not bother. Panama City and Casco Viejo is now one of our favorite cities in the world!!!
Can't wait to see it once everything is restored. The service at the hotel, well there really is no service to be had. The check in is just a small office in a weird area and seems to be the only person working in the hotel other than the cleaning staff. It was not bad service, just seemed not to be available. Either way, we would stay here again just for the location!

Room Tip: chagres has the best balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
My apologies that you had problems with the shower and instructions are already issued to get that fixed . We are happy that you found the location was great and indeed we are well located for anyone wanting to enjoy the old city ambience Many thanks for the review

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

While we had a good experience with the hotel and the service and location was excellent, the noise level alone would preclude me from recommending Casa Antigua. I had read the reviews, but naively assumed that because we were staying on a Sunday and Monday the noise wouldn't be a problem.

Wanting to get to Miraflores Locks early in the morning, we retired early. Alas, the abandoned building down the street was playing thumping club music until 4AM... on a Sunday night! A similar situation happened on Monday when the bar downstairs played music until 2AM. I like partying as much as the next person, but this was really too much.

The Chagres room, while spacious, was a little more dated and unfinished than the photos would imply. The balcony, which we hoped to sit and relax on, was either directly in the path of direct sunlight in the morning or noisy with all the club music. If I were to stay again I would pick an inner room to avoid the noise from the clubs and the street. Also, our shower was broken during our stay leading to no more than a trickle emerging - however, since we were only there for 2 nights and barely spent any time in the room, it didn't seem worth it to raise the issue with management.

The staff were very friendly and even helped me to keep some toiletries that I had left behind for me to pick up upon my return to Panama City. One thing to note though is that when we asked them about cab prices they quoted excessively. Not sure why.

As I mentioned, the location is excellent on the edge of Casco Viejo and one can walk from the hotel to Mercado de Mariscos and the rest of the old city. There is a rooftop terrace with beautiful views of the bay and the old city.

Only stay here if you can cope with the noise and deteriorating facilities.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street (e.g., Chagres) if you want to get any sleep on any day of the week.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Apologies for the night noise from that unauthorized "night club" the Authorities have now stepped in and closed it down. This has restored the peace and it's annoying that you and others have had to endure the row in the meantime. It's great that you took time out to make this known (as have others) because it enabled us to push for action . Having said that this is a lively area and the locals like to party. It's the hottest spot in town and our location as reported by others is ideal for sampling the nightlife whilst being convenient for shopping and walking around the bay.
Hope to see you back and again our apologies.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I chose Casa Antigua for it's unobstructed views across the bay to the high rise skyline in one direction and Casco Viejo in others. This hotel is beyond noisy, it's down right loud! Like trying to sleep in a night club. I would not stay here again unless they replace the windows. They also need to do something about the air in the internal area, hot hot hot and smelly from the restaurant below. The staff was very friendly! Price way too high for the noise one must endure!

• Stayed March 2014
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
We responded to some similar comments on noise from other visitors. The source was an unauthorized night spot now closed down thankfully by the Authorities. Nevertheless we do apologize
In regards the other points ( aircon) this is being seen to as we intend to remodel that particular location. We hope you managed despite this to enjoy yourself as our location is certainly ideal for both views of the bay and being the best spot in the old city to savor the atmosphere and excitement of this historic area. Many thanks for taking time out to post and again our apologies.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We could not have been happier with our experience at Casa Antigua, although we might have been a special case. We arrived early in the morning, expecting to drop our bags off and check in later at the stated check-in time (2:00pm). However, the hotel told us they had a room available already and could check us in early. Not only that, they had some issue with our room (Taboga room) and instead upgraded us to a large suite with a rooftop terrace (Paseo room). Upgrade aside, the front desk people were very helpful with everything else.

The location was fine. Casco Viejo is small enough that you can walk anywhere in 5 minutes, so I don't think there is much benefit to any particular location unless you have an ocean view. At night a couple of bars/cafes next door had decent sized crowds, but we didn't hear any of the (Wednesday night) noise from our room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dougs562
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Great that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your support. I hope you managed to visit our nearby restaurant Grapes? It's located in our home accross the way from the hotel
Actually the old city wall passes through both areas and this is what adds charm to the whole area.
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Yes, it's on the main street and can be noisy, but the view of downtown is magnificent! I like watching whats going on, on the street, so I didn't mind the night life....too much. Besides, the bedroom is upstairs and has no windows, so with ear plugs (which I always travel with), I got a good nights sleep. The apartment was nicely decorated and breakfast was included. It was not what I usually had for break! but it got me going in the morning. The location is great. There are many restaurants within walking distance and you can easily catch a cab at the front door. I only had a few problems during our 5 night stay there. Housekeeping is odd...and inconsistent. We had a full set of towels when we came in, but the dirty ones weren't always replaced. So one day I was down to one. They took the soap after one use, and didn't replace it for a few days. For two nights, I slept upside down, because the bed was made...upside down. I came back in the late after noon to find the bedroom door closed and locked...and no one had a key to unlock it. It took awhile, but someone finally showed up with a knife and got in. None of this was a big problem, just odd. I, however, have a sense of humor and took it all in stride. I can't say the same for my friends staying across the hall that came in to find a mouse in their room. The staff would not deal with it...at all. They wouldn't even take it away when my friend got it in a paper bag! Would I stay there again? Absolutely, but the next time I come to Panama, I'll probably stay in another neighborhood so I can see and explore areas other than Casco Viejo. Would I recommend Casa Antigua to my friends? Yes and I'd direct them to my review, as well. Let them decide. I also want to mention that it felt very safe there. You didn't get past the front door without passing a security guard!

Room Tip: If it's important to you, ask for a room with a window to the outside. Mine did, but my friend...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Allen P
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Glad you generally enjoyed your stay. Sorry about the unwelcome guests but unfortunately these old cities do times have this problem. There is a lot of old deserted buildings in the area which are of course prone to this problem. Trust that it didn't cause you too much of an issue and that otherwise you enjoyed the experience.
The Great State of Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We wanted very much to stay in Casco Viejo but most of the hotels are "boutique" hotels with hefty price tags. The Casa Antiqua, with its much more reasonable prices, allowed us to stay in Casco Viejo without blowing our budget. The location is good, near the edge of the neighborhood, allowing us easy access to sightseeing outside of the old quarter, too. The staff is extremely helpful. The rooftop deck (available to all guests) has an amazing view of the city.

The photos on the website are very accurate, and the bathroom was especially nice. A great shower head and plush towels. Also nice linens on the beds. All in all a very good value for the price.

The only issue was the noise that has been mentioned by other posters. We stayed five nights, and we had specifically asked for an inside room out of concern for the possible noise. The last night, a Friday, we definitely heard the music. Fortunately, we were worn out from the day and able to go back to sleep in spite of it.

I will also mention that the free breakfast is at a restaurant which has 8 a.m. posted on the door as the opening time. They tended to be late to open (after 8:30), so if you want to build the free breakfast into your schedule, give yourself extra time. It's a good breakfast and the restaurant folks were very nice, they just aren't watching the clock.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LovingMaine
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for taking time out to post a review. Glad you generally liked your stay and as you say the roof top views are stunning. This is a very lively area of Panama and when the sun goes down the locals like to party. We will chase up the staff to ensure breakfast is served as schedued and we apologise for this lapse which should not be the case.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

I would really like to give this a better rating as with a bit of care it could be so much better, but apart from the location there were so many things that needed attention that it is not possible.
The good: Location, perfect great view over Casco Viejo and the bay. Great to walk to many nearby restaurants and bars and nearby shops in Avenida Central.
The staff were very friendly and did try to help.
The room (Chagres) was great, it was the reason I booked as I loved the look of this room and the two balconys.
The bad: As has been mentioned by other reviewers there is a new bar on the corner near the hotel. It is completely open air and the only night it does not operate is monday. It was impossible to sleep and it completly ruined my stay. I ended up buying earplugs which helped to a degree but be aware there is absolutly zero soundproofing in these rooms.
I did request from the office a refund so as to move to a quieter location, while they were willing to do this it had to be done through my credit card and would take weeks. Not possible when you are on an extended holiday and have all your finances budgeted. An attempt to speak to the owner met with she is travelling and we can not get in contact with her.
Having worked in the hospitality industry for many years I tend to be a bit harsher in my judments of hotels (according to my daughter) but for the prices you pay here I would expect first class service and you do not get that.
The rooms were generally adequatley cleaned, though there was always something they missed, and if you walked around with no shoes your feet tended to get dirty. What astounded me was on the two holidays, christmas day and new years day there was no service at all.
The restaurant was also not open these days though they do tell you that and supply a cold breakfast to your room which was adequate.One thing missing in the room was the total absence of tea/coffee, there is a machine but it is byo.
There is also a strange set up with the parking downstairs. I have family in Panama and when they came to pick us up the parking spots are all being used as valet parking for a couple of restaurants down the block, which is OK but what right do they have to stop people parking on a public street, strange.
As I said I would love to give this hotel a better rating but as things stand not possible. It has potential but until they do something to sound proof the rooms at the front I really can not reconmend staying there unless you can sleep through anything. Sad as it spoiled what would have been a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sydneyalicat
Bowie888, Owner at Casa Antigua, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thanks for the review. The bar you mentioned is unauthorized and situated in an abandoned building . It has, since your stay, been subject to official intervention.