“Hosts are exceptionally helpful and friendly”

Mediterranean Dreams
Ranked #18 of 78 Panama City B&B and Inns
Budapest, Hungary
“Hosts are exceptionally helpful and friendly”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My title tells the main story... Daniel and Jesus were very available and eager to make us comfortable and oriented. Fine location, quiet street, but very near bus service, a modern mall, and restaurants. Our Grape room for 7 nights suited us fine, with good a/c and wifi and private bath. I am a heavy sleeper, but light sleepers might hear voices from nearby breakfast area. Of course, the price was more than right... great budget choice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mediterraneandreams, Gerente at Mediterranean Dreams, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us. It was a great pleasure having you here and making your stay pleasent and comfortable. Whenever you come back to Panamá count on us to make you feel home.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the grape room. The hostel is a former house,now b&b with 5 fruit themed rooms,reception area and back garden. The garden itself was not fully visible from our room, however the seating area immediately before it was.

Pros:
Daniel and Jesús are helpful,very friendly and go the extra mile to answer questions and help. They are good at what they do and make you feel like a welcomed and valued guest.
The a/c worked well and silently,perfect to beat Panamá's warm nights.
Mattress was alright, double bed big enough,sheets clean and tv worked well
Quiet at night,although conversations from reception could be heard quite loudly, resuming at misnight. Only stayed a night so can't really say whether quietness is the norm or not. With such few rooms I'd think quiet, although other travellers might have had a different experience.
Soap and towels provided
Breakfast was ok: 2 cookies,scrambled eggs,2 pieces of bread,papaya,fruit juices/iced tea/coffee/milk,portions were quite small. Included in the price.
Area felt safe,behind very busy road,with a mall and a supermarket at a 5' walk from the hostel. We went there at night and felt it was fine;only covered short distance between hostel and mall,can't say if the rest of the area is fine.
Plenty of buses cover the main road behind hostel,kiosk to buy bus card on the road and buses taking 1 hr to Aldbrook,30' to casco viejo (not rush hour)
Shaded area in back garden,with breakfast served in tables arrayed very close to one another. This layout encourages conversation with fellow guests and creates a good opportunity to have a friendly chat.
Wi-fi works well and is fairly quick
They let us use the fridge to store our food,even though is meant for staff use only.
Cold Drinks available at reception.

Cons
Suicide shower,with sparkles erupting during my shower, alongside a faint burnt smell made it an unforgettable and hopefully unique experience..
The room faces the back garden,with the tables a few cms away from its windows. At night the inside can be seen from outside when the lights are on; blinds are quite bad and curtains transparent.
Setting of breakfast and no isolation mean every whisper can be heard like it was meant to your ear. People don't know there is a room right next to them and speak at a normal tone that without earplugs will wake you up.
Staff,on the other hand,knew but did not seem to care,they were shouting across the place to each other at 7am. We had to wake up early and didn't mind,however it can be a problem if you want to sleep late and are not a heavy sleeper. That and the price,expensive for Panamá,make me take one star off.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Thom_and_Leo
kenora
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My daughter and I began our Panama experience staying at Mediterranean Dreams B&B for 2 nights before continuing on our journey. We couldn't be more delighted with our hosts and our accommodation. The room was basic with a double bed...perhaps there were other options but we were fine with this one. Jesus and Daniel went above and beyond to get us oriented and acquainted with the metrobus system which was very close to this nice residential neighbourhood. They directed us to a very nice Italian restaurant, gave us advice on taxis and buses and were most accommodating in every regard. I think we paid $51/night. We'll spend our last night in Panama there on our return to the city.

Room Tip: We didn't see any of the other rooms. The walkway from the lobby/office to our room was dark an...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We are seasoned travellers and have never found a friendlier and more accommodating team than Jesus, Daniel and the lovely housemaid. Stayed eleven nights and treated the guesthouse like our own home, really. Our suite was the coconut room with two double beds, air conditioning and bathroom, very comfy. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts who organised cabs, recommended day trips, restaurants and the like. Get out of the big hotels and stay with friends who really care about you being there. El dorado is a great area! too. Close to getting everywhere. We'll be back!

UK
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We were a bit surprised to be so far in the suburbs but taxi fares are reasonable provided you haggle- they are not metered. Buses are cheap and frequent but we spoke no Spanish and the buses were not numbered so you need to know the destination. Anyway as far as the accommodation goes it was great for the money we paid and we stayed three nights. The rooms are small and other guests can make a noise disturbing your sleep but this can also happen in a big hotel. We were delighted to find this place and would recommend it to budget minded travellers as it exceeds expectations for the price. Daniel was so helpful and was willing to arrange anything we wanted even down to recommending a place I could order a birthday cake.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I have to admit that my partner and I thought about canceling our reservation more than once, because we were uncertain of the location. We had been in the city the month prior so this was to shake up the experience by being in a different part of the city. However, it seemed to be out of the way for getting around, so we hesitated.

Eventually, we did spend 7 nights here and were thankful for doing so. Daniel met us at the door upon our late arrival. They arranged our airport pick-up. We did not get in until after midnight. Daniel was spectacular the entire week. He was friendly, helpful, and just fun to speak with. The few times he was unavailable, the owner Jesus was on duty and just as hospitable.

I described our bed as an mold to your body cushion. It was difficult getting out of it because it was so comfortable. The room is spotlessly clean and breakfast in the morning varies, but is always delicious.

A couple blocks away is a mall and there are a number of restaurants on side streets. The bus stop is there also for getting around the city.

The only thing that was slightly negative was that our room, the grape room, was right next to the outdoor patio where breakfast is served. The talking and laughing of the really early risers made it impossible for me to get back to sleep.

2 Thank BudaBaB
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am a solo traveler who stayed here one night. I arrived late at night and left early the next morning but the service was fantastic. They really want to make your stay in Panama as comfortable as possible. Jesus (or Daniel, I kinda forget :/) made me breakfast earlier than they usually make it since I had an early flight to catch. I think I got an omelette, fruit, juice, coffee, and cookies. I was really happy with it. He also volunteered to drive me to the airport for a competitive rate, which was convenient. He realized that I was really early for my flight, and took me to see the ruins of "old Panama" since I didn't get to see anything else in Panama. I am really grateful that he went above and beyond.

The room is really average, no frills here but certainly not disgusting/rundown. Nice little backyard as well. I stayed mostly in hostels throughout my trip but for a quick stay this is certainly a nice upgrade.

Room Tip: The Grape room was nice for me, it had ac and a working tv. There is window/door to the outside pati...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo