“Brand New - Good Conference location - Not sure if vacation site”

The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
Ranked #8 of 113 Hotels in Panama City
Washington DC
“Brand New - Good Conference location - Not sure if vacation site”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Went to conference to this Hotel. The hotel is brand new and rooms are spotless. Had an ocean-view room, which had a balcony, very relaxing. The hotel is great, good service, nice food, good commodities like the spa, pool, gym, etc..

The only reason I went to this hotel is because of a 4 day conference in the same property. I don't see my self coming back to this property for leisure. The beach is not really a beach, and its far from Panama city nightlife. If you want a beach hotel, please go to Bocas, contadora or some other nice locations in Panama.

I also think this hotel was very expensive. Service need to improve..

Room Tip: Ocean view room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jcmontys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
Nueziders, Austria
Reviewed 9 October 2013

If ou look at the brand you espect great service and hospitality. Well unfortuantely this is not the case. Loooking at the rooms -my one was to the back (about 50% of the roms) I was facing a scrap metal place within an unattractive environment, the breakfast is buffet -with a relative limited selection which never changes. If you are looking for fresh tropical fruits -you get some -but unfortunately they are not ripe ,taseless and sour.
The worst is the service- the reception "lost" my credit card slip which you are forced to sign at check in. The did not orivude a confirmation of this loss -as I requested and they refused to give me the name of the responsible staff or of the managing director. At the end I was flattly refused any confirmation /after argueing for 30 minutes and being asked to wait and - having to leave for the airport- had to leave the hotel.

Room Tip: make shure that you dont get a room facing the back
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Stefan S
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a period of 6 days last week with my family. It is a very lovely hotel, very spacious, beautiful rooms, great pools and many restaurants. It is located somewhat far from the city, on the other side of the Panama canal but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there!

Room Tip: The Oceanview rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best in Panama. Really close to the city but hidden from the metropolis. Definetely a good place to spend the weekend with the family. Beware os mosquitoes....
Several food options, nevertheless try to avoid the buffet at night. The Asiana or Tierra y Fuego restaurants are much better and definetely worth it. Breakfast is also good.
The beach.... Well, stay at the pool... And again, use protection against mosquitoes...

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HMP S
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 September 2013

When I travel I typically don't like to go to all-inclusive resorts, but I must say I really enjoyed this one. Our room was spacious and comfortable, especially the bed! We had a great view of the beach from our balcony where we enjoyed more than our fair share of cocktails. Speaking of, our drinks were delicious. I did have to ask them to tone it down on the sugar in our Mojitos, but I think that's just a cultural thing - Panamanians love their sugar! And the food was some of the best I've ever had for buffet-style eating, and they did a good job of making sure it wasn't the exact same thing every day. If there was anything for me to 'complain' about it would have been that I would have like to be a little closer to Panama City, so that we could have enjoyed that a bit more while we were there. You can take cabs, but that starts getting kind of pricey. But in reality if we had been closer to the city it probably wouldn't have been in such a gorgeous setting or so quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelSherpaKeith
Cayman Brac
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My Husband and I attended a conference and we had a quiet relaxing time at this hotel. We enjoyed the beautiful flowers in the gardens. Food and drinks were okay, we expected a little more exciting dishes but we managed. The rooms were clean and as always beds and pillows were to die for. The service was good and all staff members were friendly. The sand on the beach is very dark and dirty looking but surprisingly my Husband and found lots of beautiful shells including sand dollars :-)

Room Tip: 1306 has beautiful views!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dallas
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

We decided to go somewhere relatively close and inexpensive for our anniversary trip so we chose Panama. Nice clean new property. Relatively cheap. It is a little bit far out of the way... Sort of on the other side of town. If you want to get away from it all, this is a good place. The suite was spacious and came with complementary wine.
The restaurants were not all open so we took advantage of the SPG lounge for snacks and drinks. We We thoroughly enjoyed the view of the ships headed into the canal from both our suite and the lounge.
The beach was pretty but also dependent upon when low tide is. During low tide there were a lot of rocks exposed in the water.
The fitness center was spacious and filled with new equipment. The spa was a Clarins spa and the treatment was good but I did not use the other facilities.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple