“Nice place”

The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
Ranked #7 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our family had a nice time. The pools were huge and awesome. Our room was high up and had a spectacular view. Very cool to see all the ships line up to get into the canal.
We were really comfortable and happy. Food was mediocre at best. A lot of the same bland stuff at all the restaurants but whatever.. we were there to swim!
This hotel is kind of far from the city and you WILL get stuck in bridge traffic if you are trying to get into the city or elsewhere. Be wary of this!

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor facing the water. GREAT to see all the ships lining up to get into the canal.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,063)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Service, Food, and Hospitality in the Restaurant was excellent. In particular, Irma Oporta not only was very attentive to my table, but went above and beyond in her effort to communicate both in English, and Spanish, due to my lack of spanish launguage skills. We exchanged "words", Spanish to English, and visa versa............It was fun.

Thanks Irma for helping make my days more enjoyable

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms don't face the Ocean. Request an even number to have Ocean view
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is very nice and the views are beautiful. The service is OK...but, that being said, we want to give KUDOS to Alejandra O. for ALWAYS keeping an eye out for us. She truly went above and beyond, even with only speaking minimal English. If we asked for something that she could not understand, she went out of her way to get someone who did, whereas others would not do that. Alejandra was the best, and truly made our experience!!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel is beautiful and has luxurious rooms and pools on a beautiful beach.

However the service is so-so. I sat at the pool bar and had to walk up to a server to ask for a soda after waiting for 10 minutes and nobody coming to me.

Reception was less than helpful when I needed a power adapter and didn't help me book a car to the airport - they directed me to a company that operates at the hotel entrance and my car was late even though I booked it the day before.

Breakfast is great, with lots of options and a lady that makes omelets and more to order.

1  Thank pkleite
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at this resort for a corporate event. Some aspects were amazing such as the pool, rooms and view. The beds were so comfortable and the bathroom was modern. It was easy to pick different adventures to see in the city! Food at the restaurants was amazing. The Buffet was, well, a buffet but did have a lot of options. We didn't realize until the last day of our trip that there was a pool menu. The pool food was very good!

I only had one major issue with this hotel. It does not bother me that they speak a different language and very little English (this is more of my fault coming into a foreign country and not learning their language). But sometimes I felt that we were burdening the staff ordering drinks or sitting down in a restaurant. For example, my boyfriend had ordered a medium well steak and it came out rare. He sent it back and the waitress rolled her eyes after my boyfriend explained the issue. My steak was perfect and very good. The cocktail waitresses at the pool were amazing, but the bartenders at the pool bar by the activity people had no customer service. There would be no one at the bar and we would stand there with a bartender right in front of us and just wait until they looked up at us and walked towards us or looked up at us and then walked to the other side of the bar (which happened more than once) until someone else would notice we weren't being served. There was no greeting or smile, just waited for you to speak. It made me very uncomfortable.

Not all the customer service was bad. We learned who the nice employees were and just waited for them or didn't return to the restaurants/bars where we seemed to be a burden (unfortunately we ate at the buffet a lot). Also our trip was all-inclusive and the tip was included, but for the staff that went up and beyond we tipped very well each time!

Also another note, I've stayed at many hotels in my lifetime and I've never had the maid service come into the room two times during the day without being asked. Maybe I'm not used to upscale hotels, but do not be alarmed if you come back to your room cleaned and then after dinner come back to your bed turned down, towels picked up, etc. It was a very nice amenity, but the first day it really scared us that someone had been in our room without us asking. Nothing was missing and it happened every day after that so just expect that :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We also attended with a large corporate group. Our room was always cleaned and had a great view of the pools. The best part was the service we received from Alejandra O.and Elliott. They were sincere in their efforts to serve and see that we enjoyed our stay. The special meals and events were great. Breakfast buffets had something for everyone, meats, omelets, fruits, breads and more. We did not have any stomach problems with the water or ice or any of the fruits and vegetables. One night we got to see some traditional dancers and it was beautiful. I loved the the shower, the water was always hot and had a rainfall type shower head. The bed was luxurious and had some great rest too. Ditto to some of the other comments as far as the fun bars and music. The beach was disappointing but we were on the Pacific side and heard that we needed to travel to the Atlantic side about 2 hours or south on the coast to find a better beach. We got restaurant tips from Alejandra and Elliot which was great. We had a great meal at Diablicos in the old city, Casco Viejo. We also asked Patricia with the tourist group about a taxi and she got us a good driver that was very personable. We really enjoyed the tour of the Rainforest and indigenous tribe. I would like to go back in the future!!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We just spent a week at the Westin Playa Bonita on a corporate event. The hotel was modern, clean, and inviting. The food at all of the restaurants was delicious. But the most memorable was the beautiful pool area! The staff provided excellent service at all times. Alejandra O. was so attentive; she took care of everything from getting us extra towels to bringing cold drinks (frequently)! Although I speak Spanish, the staff was able to communicate in English for those who needed it. I hope Alejandra and the rest of the staff know how much we appreciated their hard work.